RFM Panther Ausf F Work in progress

Thanks John.
I will add some more weathering to the engine deck.

2 Likes

And that E100 jagdpanzer and this F so need to be in an urban Dio… It’s a match made in heaven…

2 Likes

What’s your experience with Vallejo colors? I’m thinking of switching entirel to Vallejo products. To have the paint from different manufacturers reduced to just one.
And how long is it possible to keep these products in storage and keeping those products good and usable again?

I only use Vallejo acrylic paints for hand brushing details for example.
My main paints for airbrushing AFV’s is AK Real Colors and Tamiya.
When I made wingy things I used Mr Paint straight out of the bottle.

What are your experiences with AK Real Colors and Mr. Paint?

AK Real Colors share many good qualities with Tamiya with the added bonus that I personally find them much easier to hand brush if needed.
This was painted using AK Real Colors Iraqi Sand and thinned with their own thinner.

I have used automotive lacquer with it as well with equally good results.
Mr Paint goes on like a dream straight from the bottle as long as it’s agitated properly.

2 Likes

Are you using a respirator mask while airbrushing?

Yes and a fume extractor venting through the wall.

Interesting, how much do you airbrush. I just airbrush once in a while. Hopefully this will increase soon since I go back to basics. Learning everything again from the ground up. Fixing any mistakes, missing or incomplete knowledge. Justvlike I’m doing now with my chess skills.

I airbrush multiple times with each model.

So you do really need a respirator mask for airbrushing.

Yes, you only get one set of lungs and you do not want to be inhaling the fumes.

1 Like

Or paint particles.

Even that so called nontoxic acrylic paint generates lots of paint particles when airbrushed. I’ll definitely pass on breathing that stuff and allowing it into my lungs.

Its personal choice, personally, I dont wear a mask because I use acrylic paints and odorless thinners (not cellulose or anything astringent like that) and airbrush cleaner. I work in a room in front of a partially open window and that is more than sufficient in my opinion. I’d be amazed if wearing a mask made a significant difference unless you’re routinely working with enamels and skin stripping thinners.

Note that just because odorless thinner does not smell, it does not mean it is safe. It has the same fumes as others, just you do not notice it.

1 Like

You’re right and i’m not saying it isn’t potentially harmfull. But, I do find it kind of amusing that some people will quite routinely walk through busy city centres, sit in offices where the air is at least partially recycled, sit in their cars in traffic jams, eat all kinds of junk food (even in moderation), smoke and drink alcohol and yet get all excited about a bit of airborne pollution while airbrushing…

I get that its something you have control over and its mitigative, so good luck to you if thats your choice. But, in the big scheme of things, the risk assessment had this one at pretty low on the scale for me (and i’ve been doing it for 41 years).

1 Like

Acrylic paint made by suspending plasticizers, silicon oils, defoamers, stabilizers, or metal soaps in an acrylic polymer emulsion.

I’ll pass on breathing an aerosol mist of that, even in small amounts.

Not convinced in the least that acrylics are safer than enamels or lacquers when proper precautions are taken.

1 Like

I’m cycling 5 days per week to and from work back home next to pretty busy roads at sometimes. And I agree to you, for years I cycle that route without problem. And there are car exhaust fumes and things probably. I can’t control that, how busy it is on the road with cars next to me. And sometimes it is busy on that route I’m cycling. Point is, I agree and there are situations you can’t control these things. And one person might have problems, maybe others don’t.
Think that’s what you want to say?

Yes, I think so. Its a matter of personal choice and i’m not having a go at anyone who chooses to take extra precautions, that’s sensible.

I think my point is that (and no disrespect meant in any way, shape or form to you) you appear to be fairly new to the hobby and are ‘impressionable’ when it comes to advice being offered. If that is not the case, then I wholeheartedly apologise. But, the way this is being … ‘sold’ to you is that it is absolutely necessary to invest in potentially quite expensive equipment that in reality, mitigates a very low risk.

Some of us are not lucky enough to have dedicated work spaces, or rooms that we can give over to our hobby, so it is also a question of practicality - you can get to the point where you’re strangling (no pun intended) your enjoyment of your hobby simply to accommodate bulky equipment that you probably don’t need if you take other sensible precautions.

The risk is yours to assess and manage as you see fit. i don’t recommend ingesting paint though, that’s just silly :grin:

I think you are right with the middle section you are saying. And it is a good point that you are pointing out about practicality or something. I must also think myself about things that are told here. However, I’m also willing to learn a lot. I like learning a lot. And it can be hard if I’m learning to also think for myself st the same time. But I’m glad you pointed out anyway. :hugs: