RFM's new T 55 looks tasty,

Well; looks like I’m sold on the RFM kit. I still have the MiniArt, which I will eventually build, once I have my workbench cleared from all the other kits I have partially built and I can solely focus solely on building (and raging about) it.

1 Like

Like with MiniArts #37024:
-skip mounting the smoke dischargers on the turret and you get the T-55A Mod. 1975
-add rubber screens on fenders and you get the T-55 AZh(a.k.a. T-55 IK).

I think I’ll get one!

I hope RFM will issue the RMSh tracks WITH their Drive sprocket as a separate kit.
MiniArt does offer the RMSh tracks separately, but the RMSh drive sprockets are not included and to have them, one has to buy another MiniArt offering…

Cheers,
Angel

I plan on not adding the smoke launchers and will remove it’s conduit. I was trying to see which track the kit has.

1 Like

Yup; either go MiniArt…

or T-Rex Studio.

1 Like

The problem is that OMSh tracks go with 13 teeth Drive Sprocket.
While the RMSh tracks go with 14 teeth Drive Sprocket.So you cannot fit OMSh track to RMSh DS and vice versa.Like in real life.

T-55 tanks underwent many modifications(and some modernizations).
Hulls were stripped and built again quite often.Even in my small country there was a dedicated factory, that implemented the changes.Including changing the OMSh tracks with RMSh ones.

The reason I built none of MiniArts kit I have so far is I need to replace the OMSh tracks provided in the kits with RMSh ones.
But there is no set that gives you not only the RMSh tracks, but their Drive Sprocket too.And even if I buy T-Rex Studio set, I still cannot fit the tracks to kits provided OMSh Drive Sprockets…

I scratchbuilt a BLG-60M2 AVLB couple of years ago

And although the BLGs arrived in Bulgaria fitted with RMSh, I had to use OMSh.Earned a lot of critic from a modelling buddy of mine, who served on tanks for some 20 years…

Sooo…
If RFM offers a set of their RMSh tracks with 2 RMSh drive sprockets included, I will buy at least 5.
And I know people that will buy more :wink:

Cheers,
Angel

4 Likes

Smart way to go about it.

RMSh ones.
They were readily available for Soviet armor since the begining of 1970’s, NSWP countries received them towards the end of same decade.

Cheers,
Angel

Thanks

I sorta figure that with the way they are going thru tanks in the Ukraine situation; they’ll be using late T55’s sooner than most think. I have two or three Takom kits in the stash, but I like RFM kits a lot.
gary

Some of the Miniart T-55’s have RMSH tracks, 37023 for instance

Looks like the kit has the 14 tooth sprocket, so that should be correct for the RMsh?

I used TRex tracks on my last Miniart T-55 build. I will use TRex tracks on all future T-55 builds, regardless of the manufacturer…

1 Like

I know Robin.

But these T-55 models were either not sold to Bulgaria, or when sold, arrived here with OMSh tracks…

RMSh tracks were issued first to Soviet tank units and were cleared for export to allied states only after the vast Soviet fleet was equiped with them. Took almost a decade.

Cheers,
Angel

“The reason I built none of MiniArts kit I have so far is I need to replace the OMSh tracks provided in the kits with RMSh ones.”
“And although the BLGs arrived in Bulgaria fitted with RMSh, I had to use OMSh.Earned a lot of critic from a modelling buddy of mine, who served on tanks for some 20 years…”

Do you need OMSh tracks and sprockets
or do you need RMSh tracks and sprockets?

I need RMSh tracks together with RMSh drive sprockets.

I sent an e-mail to Miniart to ask if it is possible to buy the sprues for the sprocket wheels in kit 37023.

Edit:
Miniart answered that they are unable to handle special requests like this due to the ongoing “aggression” against Ukraine.

See below for a solution to this problem.

1 Like

I invite fans of T-54/55 tanks and other Soviet armored vehicles to my website. In particular, in the catalog for these tanks, in 5 minutes I found the Miniart 37058 kit with two types of drive sprockets,

and drive sprockets from Jadar-Model and Tank Workshop.
You can choose tracks yourself here at this link

2 Likes

Are they that good? Better than metal?

@fromSalekhard THANK YOU!
:+1: :smiley:

Silly me, I only looked at the box-art and counted the teeth on the sprocket wheel laying down.
@ayovtshev Both sprocket types are shown on the boxart (in case one looks closely).

The wheel set for the T-62, Miniart 37060, contains the same sprockets
and almost the same set of road wheels. The T-55 has one road-wheel that is different, the T-62 has two of those (each side of course)

T-62 37060

T-55 37058

I have not used metal so I can’t answer the comparison question. They are 3d printed resin. They are fragile and you will break a couple when you start but then you get the hang of it and they are really easy to work with. There are extras in the box so breaking a couple is not an issue.

1 Like