Salvage 26 year old WIP Tamiya Pz IV J

Best laid plans of mice & men…both T-34-85’s have been completed…however the old Tamiya Porsche King Tiger’s replacement tracks have been a bit frustrating. I really want to complete a tri-color as a warm up before moving to the Pz IV’s.

After an excavation that would have done Indiana Jones proud, I found an old set of clasp original style Friulmodellismo King Tiger tracks in the stash. The KT set may have been the first offered by Friulmodellismo. In any case these relics bounced around between various model club members in the early 1990’s before I ended up with them.

The sprockets are for the old Tamiya King Tiger/Hunting Tiger from the 1970’s and other aged dinosaurs:) While the price tag fell off over the years, I think they were $27 in 1992.

Fortunately the early 90’s Tamiya King Tiger’s sprockets work and the warped white metal sprockets aren’t needed. I think the sprockets were mishandled over the years as the set moved around the model club.

About 1 out of 7 of the thick links were distorted or warped beyond saving. Probably half of thin flat links were wrapped but easily flattened back to correct shape.

Several links had broken pins or broken classes so that also had to be checked.

In the end, I had ninety usable thick links and over a hundred usable flat links. Each track run needed 42 thick & 42 flat, plus 6 double links for spares. So there was a total of two spare thick links.

Thankfully Friulmodellismo included an alignment jig for crimping track links back in the day:)

The tracks had a very heavy coating of mold release agent. It may have been silicon spray etc but I looked like thirty some year old Pam nonstick cooking spray. In anycase, it proved hard to remove with a simple wash that usually works.

Kali Kat offered use of her table and Ultrasonic cleaner.

Don’t do this disclaimer! Responsibility is entirely yours if warning is disregarded.

Used gloves, safety glasses and outside ventilation etc. Safety is critical!

Cleaned up an old seasoning jar and filled it with MEK. The lid was above water level in the ultrasonic cleaner and sealed tightly. The Ultrasonic waves penetrate the glass jar and create bubbles inside cleaning what ever is in the jar. Naturally the tracks were in the jar.

Two eight minute cycles for each track and they were free of mold release. The tracks were left outside and dried in open air ventilation.

Kali settled in for a nap while I cleaned track links.

The jar sealed well enough the MEK can be saved in a secure location and used again for cleaning additional tracks if needed.

4 Likes

The tracks didn’t develop much in of the patina that looks so nice with Birchwood Casey burnishing fluid. I think they were a little too clean and this inhibited the rust effect. I probably should have only cleaned for one cycle of Ultrasonic cleaning instead of two.

After a thin wash of Floquil RR - Antique Bronze.

They still need a few more tweaks.

They did blacken nicely with very few spots that didn’t react.

2 Likes

Wow Wade you dug DEEP for those babies! I haven’t seen a bagged set of Friuls in 25 years. You’re certainly doing them justice, though. Looking good as usual.

1 Like

@SSGToms, thank you Matt.

Took a few pictures along the way during the quest to retrieve those old Friulmodellismo tracks from the Imperial vault…

images (10)

images (11)

Second door to the left after Smaug

Old Skool :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hey! An archeological dig in progress. I bet you could carbon date some of that.

1 Like

Without a doubt carbon dating would be handy for these fossils :slight_smile:

Kali wants her perch back.

Grinding away on the old KT …age plus moving several times…seems to have taken its toll on this old Shelf Queen…

Side skirts were lost along with the kit tracks, one U towing bolt missing, replaced with one from a collectible DML Tiger 1 kit with 3 sets of them, two broken mud flaps, one broken torsion arm, two Tamiya aftermarket tracks replaced…any here’s where the PKT sits…

7 Likes

More dry brushing. Added red oxide primer chips to Zimmerit. Cavalier did a nice job on the King Tiger resin Zimmerit sheet. Not sure if Cavalier is still around.

One more round of drybrushing to go then its touch up time.

3 Likes

Last I heard, they were not. If someone has more up to date info, please let us know. I liked their stuff. It looks great, like here!
Ken

1 Like

Ken, according to Scalemates looks like Cavalier Model Productions called it quits in 2003. I’m shocked it was that long ago given how popular their products were during the early 2000’s.

I think there’s a Panther G, Tiger I & Pz IV set somewhere in the stash-vault.

Question if I may? Being a nob military modeler and currently building an RFM iv J I noticed the 4 top rollers on you J. How many J’s had 4 return rollers?

bruce

1 Like

@BGT Bruce,

The the early J’s and middle J’s (to my way of thinking)had four return rollers.

Officially, 3 return roller start date was December 1944. Roughly 650 to 700 Pz IV J’s were manufactured with 3 return rollers. I think of it as a late/final production model feature generally speaking.

Craig Ellis’s book, Pz IV at the front Volume 4 mid-late Ausf G, H and J has excellent info on this sort of detail. There’s a nice chart that gives specific list of when changes occured month by month. Excellent book, highly recommended.

Thanks. I just had in my mind that all Js had just the 3.

Bruce

1 Like

Trying to decide if the old KT should get a recycled base with my 1st attempt at ground work in like 20 years or a nice newly finished base.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Recycle with possible sketchy ground work?

Or

Use a newly finished base with no ground work?

Yes, the name plate should say King Tiger Initial Turret but it was made long ago before I knew about the misnomer.

A base with ground work would allow later adding a couple of figures looking at a map in the foreground. My figure painting would have to reach an acceptable level which won’t happen any time soon.

The new base will allow quicker completion of the project after tracks, a few details are sorted out plus a little additional weathering.

2 Likes

Go with the shiny base no groundwork so you can put another one on the “finished” shelf. It’s time.

2 Likes

I had to wrap the guinea pig :pig2: before continuing regularly scheduled Pz IV programming :slight_smile:

While cleaning up the hobby desk and organizing after the King Tiger project, I decided work on the H & J concurrently.

1 Like

Great job on the finish! The camo and weathering plus all those little details make this one of my favorite builds you have finished!

1 Like

Minor Update - working on detail painting. Painting the attached tools was very quick and easy on the King Tiger, on the Pz IV’s its slower due to more items and a little more difficult.

For the Pz IV J, I decided it needed a black lacquer main gun as well. Detail wise, still have the fire extinguisher & wire cutters remaining plus touch ups.

On the Pz IV H, I’m definitely regret my decision to test Tamiya’s Zimmerit stickers. There’s not going to be any areas to chip as the stickers are all pristine. Still have the fire extinguisher & wire cutters remaining plus touch ups.

Tinkering with chipping side skirt rails

4 Likes

Ooh. Nice touch.

1 Like

Cool! Resurrected builds!!

They can be oddly satisfying, once one gets past the issues that made those builds land on the Shelf of Oblivion.
Some of mine were… my T-34/76 not quite so… yet.

1 Like

@RonW Ron’s thank you.

Yes, they can be. I seem to get more enjoyment fix up the old junk Shelf Queens than with new builds these days. Some of the mess I stuck on shelf really should have went in the bin.

BTW - I’m sure some one is wondering about thise black main guns. Here’s a really cool color picture. Post for discussion purposes.

2 Likes