Sci-Fi and Alternative history campaign VIII

Leaving it till a bit later than I wanted, but I’m going to make a start today on the Monogram Kazon Raider.

Quite a large model when finished, fortunately there aren’t too many parts.

First up, clean up the main hull parts.

I also need to do something about the base. I know from experience that this kind of stand never lasts long supporting a large and heavy model. I think a brass rod on a wood base is the way to go.

6 Likes

Looks good, Stephen! Looking forward to see more :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Jesper, you really don’t see many of these built. Not an attractive ship, but I think it’ll be a fun one.
I’m planning on adding some repair patches to the hull, maybe a bit of battle damage in a few spots. These ships definitely had a more scrapyard look to them than is typical for the Trek universe.

1 Like

@phantom_phanatic Interesting ship. Looking forward to see what you do with it. My first impression is to remove the vertical fin coming down from the nose, but that is just me.

Happy Modeling,
Zon

1 Like

It is an odd feature and has been a bit contentious with fans. I’d have to check my plan drawings in my old Star Trek magazines, but I think it is was a mounting for a particle beam weapon.
Going back to the pre-production of Voyager, the producers wanted Delta quadrant ships to be wildly different to what had been seen before. So, gone were the twin nacelles on struts or wings. The Kazon were supposed to be a scavenger people, a pre-warp civilization who were enslaved and rebelled against their masters. They took their ships and have had to use any means necessary to keep them flying.

Hoping to do a little more work this weekend. Have been busy this week doing a few jobs around the house, so little time for any modelling.

Rescribed some of the raised panel lines on the forward ‘wings’.

There are a few others around the hull that need receiving, just need to find the roll of dymo tape before I tackle those.

One thing I have noticed while I’ve been working is the amount of rough spots and sink marks that need sanding out or filling. Really slowing down what I hoped would be a quick build.

4 Likes

Panels around the nose and bridge scribed in. I used the box top photo of the filming model as a guide. I think a couple are bit wonky, so I might add a couple of strips of plastic to give the impression of repair panels.

Hull halves together. It’s now starting to look a bit like a spaceship (or a fish?).

The finned section on the spine is not a great fit. Going to need some filling to blend it in.

6 Likes

Looks good, Stephen!

Looking forward to see more :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks Jesper.
Definitely thinking of doing a Federation starship next. The alien ships are very interesting, but the finished collection is lacking the good guys!
Looking in the stash, I’m thinking either the Defiant or Enterprise-A. If I can find good references to build it, I’ve also got decals for the Saratoga conversion of the Reliant.

1 Like

Sounds good, Stephen. Then you are all set for Sci-Fi and Alternative history campaign IX in 2023 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I’m set for a couple of sci-fi campaigns!
Very Trek heavy, but there are a few Star Wars ships and some Babylon 5. Those are quite rare these days!

1 Like

Finally feels like progress, Got the first two colors for my 3 tone tactical camo in place.

Ready to do the dark green next. :wave:

5 Likes

Coming together nicely Mark… Should look pretty striking when the cams finished :+1:

Looking great, Mark! It will look much of the ordinary with that camoflage!

Wow, what amazing work, imagination and builds. BRAVO!!

Unfortunately I’ll not be joining this, but following up on earlier questions about Macross / Robotech, here is one of my builds from that genre if you don’t mind me sharing.

[Processing: 20220212_112157.jpg…]

7 Likes

Just another quick share, unlike the cool F14 shown earlier with UN Spacey markings, here is my 1/48 Valkyrie diorama depicting an opening scene in the credits from the Robotech series.

I hope this offers some more inspiration to the builders in this campaign.

Keep up the great builds! :vulcan_salute:t3:

7 Likes

Nice builds and finishes on both those Gavin, they would of fitted in great for this campaign… :+1:

1 Like

Quite the gap!

I’ll pack the back with some scrap plastic before putting in some filler.

3 Likes

Nothing terribly exciting today. Just another round of sanding and filling.

I did however get a chance to look through my old magazines to check some colours and details. Especially for the first exposed engineering section in the centre of the hull.

This is an an absolute treasure trove of information regarding all things Trek. I was lucky to collect the entire set.

4 Likes

Nice source for research, Stephen. Looks like that gap needs some plastic card.

1 Like