Sci-Fi and Alternative history campaign VIII

Jesper @SGTJKJ , I have a question…
I have a 90 % King Tiger sat looking sad…I am about to get an AMUSING HOBBY RHEINTOCHTER R-1, now what I was thinking was the actual main kit will be the R1, and I wanted to marry it up with the King Tiger hull after I have modded that so it looks like a realistic fit.
The KT will then also get a new paint scheme… The whole thing would be going along the lines of a WW2 into 1946/47… Would you be ok with that ?

2 Likes

I am for sure good with that, Johnny! Sounds like an awesome project. I love these kind of “what-if 1946” ideas and have made quite a few myself.

As you say the rheintochter is the new kit and the KT an add on. All is good! :raised_hands:t2::sunglasses:

Looking forward to see more :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you Jesper. That’s great news. I will now be going from interested to going… Looking forward to this build as I’ve wanted to do this kit bash for a long time now :+1::+1:

1 Like

Aloha All,
I’m in, most likely with an AT-ST in an alternate reality. Thanks for keeping these going Jesper!

Happy Modeling,
Zon

3 Likes

Er, this thread caught my eye and might just be the inspiration/leverage I need to get me going again; my build rate has been abysmal of late and I’m pushed to pin down why (Covid, retirement ennui?). However, how do I sign up for this? Do I just state what it is I’m hoping to build or what? I’ve never put myself forward for a “Campaign” as such.

All advice gratefully received!

2 Likes

Go to the first thread and click the going option. Then post a photo of the kit in the box before you start. A few along the way and at least one when done.

2 Likes

If you go to the first post in this thread and click on the go button to register that your going to do a build or interested if you’re still pondering…
Check out what others are going for in their builds and it’s literally anything Sci fi or an alternative history like I’m going to do, WW2 going on into 46/47 etc…

2 Likes

Great minds type together lol

2 Likes

I will take it but we are probably the only two who think we have great minds. :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks Chaps; I’ll have to give it a bit more thought as I’ve only a few sketchy ideas. Possibly something like a Brit Army scenario c.2031, but my interest is also piqued by the possibilities of 3rd Reich ’46. Hmmm.

2 Likes

Well, we all know the second part to that saying. :rofl:

I’m genuinely to scared to know lol

2 Likes

For me the retirement ennui is into it’s fifth year and my build rate is practically zero, but even I managed to build, well, something for VII. You can ignore the bit about the kit in it’s box if there’s no kit and no box, I got away with it by just posting a photo of the most significant pieces of repurposed plastic incorporated in whatever it was supposed to be (I’m still not sure what it is!). This is probably the only group build where you can start sticking bits of plastic together without having a firm idea of what you are building and still not know what you’ve made when you finally think “Well, that looks as if it might do…” The ultimate “zero pressure” therapeutic build because no-one can say it’s wrong if even it’s creator isn’t sure what he’s actually made.
:crazy_face:
I’m not sure yet which direction my malfunctioning mind will send me, but here’s a few ideas (using the term at it’s most lose) that have crawled out of the mire which is my madness:
Discarding the body components, seats and occupants from the re-released Airfix Beach Buggy and use what’s left as the basis of a “Mad Max” inspired Post-Apoc vehicle.
Kit-bashing a couple of those Gunpla robots together and steampunking (rivets, cogs, and brass) whatever emerges. I know it’s been done before but it still seems fun.
“Apocalypse 1919” WW1 takes a weird turn when Imperial Russia responds to the Central Powers embrace of chemical weapons with mutagenic bio-bombs incorporating alien DNA recovered from the Tunguska area…
Somewhere back in the Mid-Pliocene I dressed up one of the first GW plastic Space Orcs as a Napoleonic French Imperial Guardsmen, I never got round to the follow-up (mounting one on a pig, posed and attired as Théodore Géricault’s “The Charging Chasseur” - “Le Orque aux Porque”), but some years ago a friend gifted me a metric sh1tload of Historex spare bits. Although I’ve never been much into “Horse-and-Musket” wargaming I do know that people that are into that sort of thing sometimes create “Imagi-Nation” armies with their own uniforms. I’ve been thinking of doing something of the sort as a “Hordes of the Things” fantasy army, but there’s no reason not to do a 54mm model: why should it be only nekkid ladies who get to ride dinosaurs?
Stuff I’ve seen discussed elsewhere includes tanks painted in NASCAR sponsorship schemes and anti-gravity models inspired by the art of Ian McQue and Alejandro Burdisio.
It’s getting towards five in the morning so I think it’s “Down-time before Melt-down time”, otherwise I’ll be typing here until tomorrow sunset with incomprehensible gibberish even less relevant than the above.

Cheers,

M

3 Likes

Jeez Tom, what have I stumbled into? Airfix Beach Buggy? DNA from Tunguska? Naked ladies on dinosaurs? Clealry so much more fun to be had here than being locked into my Cold War theme; seriously, well, almost, you’ve managed to get me thinking quite a bit more so thanks!

Also glad to hear it’s not just me fighting retirement lethargy; I too am sometimes seen pacing the boards within dawn’s early light, with my mind seething. (I probably just need a good kick up the ar*e - perhaps this modelling initiative will provide it).

Thanks again.

3 Likes

So, back when we were thinking this campaign up I hinted at my plans to build a mystery ship I found packed away when looking for something else.

Thought it was about time to reveal my project.

So here it is, the Revell-Monogram Kazon Raider.

Looks like a well detailed and quite large kit. As a bonus I also found one of the Minikits of the same ship inside it. I probably put that in there years ago so I didn’t lose it.

Should be a fun build.

6 Likes

Nice choice Stephen… Will be nice to see that done… In fact never seen one built before :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks John.

I’ve never seen one either. Very hard to find any reviews or builds online.

Somewhere I have the Voyager and Maquis Fighter too.

2 Likes

Welcome onboard, Zon, Tom, Brian! Great to have you here. Looking forward to see what you go for in this campaign! :slightly_smiling_face:

Stephen, nice choice. That one will be fun to paint. “Space weathering” gives a lot of possibilities!

2 Likes

Good idea. Jesper.
I think it will need something to add some character and life to the finish. The Kazon were supposed to be a nomadic scavenger culture, so I see it needing patched up and mismatched repairs.
Fortunately the box does have a photo of the studio model which is a great reference. There are some subtle panel shades visible.
Has anyone else spotted the rear hatch from an M113 yet?

@phantom_phanatic I haven’t seen the rear hatch for the M113 but there are parts on the outer hull that look like they are from the old and Darth Vader tie fighter.

Klaus

1 Like