Sci-Fi and Alternative history campaign X

I was going to get an E100 super heavy tank for this build, but decided on this …

The outland TIE fighter. It says 1/65 but it’s more ,1/35 I think or close to it.
You can have the wings either fully vertical for flight, partially folded in flight or fully folded flat for landing … I will be doing it partially folded, and with an alternative cam / paint scheme …

All once my arm is out of the cast and I can get back to the bench… Not done anything since Dec 12th and the RTC I was involved in… :frowning:

9 Likes

Johnny, nice choice. Looks to be a simple build with 51 parts. I do not fully understand how wings can be semi folded for flight, so looking forward to see more.

BTW: What is RTC?

Gerrit, with your building speed I am sure we will see something soon. Are you going for a modification or OOB build for your ordered item?

3 Likes

Road Traffic Collision, I believe. Previously RTA: Road Traffic Accident, now commonly RTI: Road Traffic Incident, usually qualified by “(Vehicle/ Object/ Pedestrian) versus (Vehicle/ Object/ Pedestrian)”; in this case “Motorcyclist versus Motorized Moron”
Not to be confused with RTE, the Irish broadcasting service…

Regards,

M

3 Likes

Happy New Year folks!

Making a tentative start on the “Mouse Thing” today. I won’t post my in-depth ramblings and shenanigans in full here, just the highlights. If you want to get the whole show and have a good laugh, check it out here . . . . . .
Scratchbuild - Mouse Thing! - Sci-Fi/Fantasy - KitMaker Network

Just starting to get an initial picture by Blu-Tac-ing bits and bobs in place.

As always, please throw in any comment, critique, suggestions along the way. My first time doing something like this and I will need all the help I can get :grin: :tumbler_glass:

Cheers, D

6 Likes

Thanks for the explanatipn, Tom :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

Damian, that looks wild. Looking great so far. I assume you will align pieces more precisely when glueing in place? I think that is an important detail to look convincing as the real thing would have been made by an engineer, so probably drawn up very precisely.

3 Likes

Definitely Jesper, just getting a rough idea of where I’m heading at this stage. The calipers will come out before the glue does :sunglasses:

Cheers, D

4 Likes

Hey SGTJKJ , i think about a HEVY modified B-17F with a revolutionary drive system . Got one kit here but try to find another one of the same type .

4 Likes

Hi Johnny,

According to the box, this baby is 16.7 cm wide which is about 6.57 inches. The new AMT 1/32 version has 11 inches width (and really huge):

I think this Revell kit is closer to 1/72. If I was you, I would use the later scale as there are plenty of 1/72 goodies around for planes which could be used in your project (e.g. modern US NAVY flight deck figures preparing for landing, small technical cars moving parts, ammo etc… for jets. Unless you want to represent an in-flight Tie-figther, you could create a diorama inside an imperial spacecraft or on a distant planet.

There are my personal comments only and I do not want to influence you toward any direction. It is your build and I am looking for seeing the build anad result with high interest!

Cheers,

Tamás

5 Likes

It is an insanely amazing idea with the mouse!!! I am loving it!

Did you consider to use the top lid also? Some scribed panel lines could imitate an armored thing or so.

Tamás

4 Likes

Yes sir, definitely using the top as well. Just getting some prelim done on the underside and it’s easier with the lid off.

Cheers, D

6 Likes

Perhaps the custom/tuner version with the big rear wing and flame paint job from “Blue Harvest”?

Cheers,

M

2 Likes

Revell’s 1/29 Snowspeeder - build update part1

This is the first build log update I share about the campaign contender kit. Revell’s 1/29 Snowspeeder is a very simplified kit, using 28 parts only (including the two dwarfs - more details later) and really poor look and construction. Of course, the price is less than any modern Chinese or Japanese kits.

The scale is definitely much smaller than on the box. As my best guess, it is nearby to 1/40 instead.
As you can see, the cockpit is nothing more than a funny inflatable mattress which you would use on the beach. Luke and his fellow rebel would be punished sitting on it during the battle on the ice planet Hoth. The figures provided by Revell are simply dwarfs in 1/29 scale and closer to the Jawas than to Mr. Skywalker.

Interestingly both sides of the cockpit tub are full of dials, instruments even on those areas where neither the pilot, nor the gunner could reach or look. Later I had to sand flat those areas to have the most realistic look.

The panel lines are present but very much poor and not sharp at all. Also the construction is very poor, big gaps everywhere. Btw. no glue needed to assemble the kit. It is more like a toy.

Anyway. I purchased this kit because it is the closest to my preferred 1/35 scale (I am building tanks mostly). Did know the scale of the challenge to bring up the kit to the Meng or Tamiya level so bought some random 1/32 scale plane a/m parts: 3D printed Martin-Baker Mk II ejection seats, instrument panels and some 1/48 missiles.

The subject is a “what-if the Hungarian Air Force had a low-flying, slow-speed attack plane in the shape of the Snowspeeder”. My plan is to paint it into the latest armor camo of the Hungarian Defence Forces (that you can see nowadays on the Leo II tanks, the PZH-2000 howitzers and so force :-)))

The first steps were done in the last three days. All panel lines are re-scribed already, the holes in the side parts (for the crew to step-on) and the end-part of the cannons are drilled.

Also had to completely cut out the “seat” and the cockpit bottom to ensure the Martin-Bakers will fit in. No, they do not, even after the surgery done on the kit. I opted to move the gunner’s instrument panel with some 3 mm. Even this did not help. Finally I had to remove the bottom part of the M-B seat and also remove the mid part of the head-rest. Now they fit and the canopy can be closed (I will keep it open probably, but lets see what the painting will result).

The cannons were assembled, the bad end was also drilled out and some scribe were done in various areas to imitate T-72 main gun-like assembly of the cannons. Also cut some panels on the bottom where I will place the undercarriage. I do not yet have them, a friend of mine promised to sell me a cheap, non-built 1/72 airplane kit where there are proper parts to be used in this project here. I plan to make big openings on the back part and install some modern exhausts.

I hope the planned mods and painting scheme will provide a reasonable looking airplane.

The next step will be to fill the holes of the gunner’s instrument panel and get the missing parts to continue the mods.

Cheers,

Tamas

6 Likes

Sorry I missed your question Jesper. Close to what Tom said though, RTC = Road Traffic Collision (was RTA-Road Traffic Accident) - this is a collision between a vehicle and something else (bike/person/animal/another car/building etc etc) which causes damage and or injury to that thing. This is the normal term.

A RTI - Road Traffic Incident is something that someone reports that was not necessarily involved in the occurrence. For example, someone sees a car or truck hitting something and driving off without stopping, or a case of road rage from a driver onto someone else etc …

Sorry for going off thread a bit :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the info, Johnny. Hope you make a full recovery soon :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oh Ye Gods! A B17F ZWILLING? Inboard wings cut off at the point where the ailerons are nearest the fuselage and the nacelle for the “Revolutionary Drive System” fitted between them? (Maybe the the cut-off wing tips and ailerons could be utilised to replace the outboard horizontal stabilisers and elevators?) Just don’t forget to close off the inboard waist gun positions to prevent the Yanks “friendly firing” their own aircraft…

Cheers,

M

1 Like

Definitely not the way I think . All that Twin and Z constructions are out of my aesthetic line .
I just need another full body for modification parts of the outer skin .

2 Likes

Each to their own… I couldn’t think of another reason for two-of-kind. Perhaps I was influenced by an idea I have for a He162 Drilling!

Regards,

M

2 Likes

Damian: interesting concept. I have an old mouse waiting in the drawer for just such an occasion, so I’ll follow your build.

Johnny: hoping your arm heals up quickly.

Happy
Modeling,
Zon

5 Likes

Tom, a He 162 drilling???!!! :exploding_head:

Wild and very cool plan! What is your plan? Three kits side by side or three kits in a triangle?

2 Likes

Jesper, here’s the configuration for the 3 wing set ups.

Now, the actual scale.
It definitely is not 1/65 scale, unless the pilot is a giant …

I’m using the kit pilot figure and a seated Tamiya figure in 1/35.

Side by side. The pilot stands out easily as being bigger than the Tamiya driver.

Pilot on seat…

Driver on the seat…

I’m definitely leaning towards between 1/32 and 1/35 for scale ??

6 Likes