Sci-Fi and Alternative history campaign X

I’d agree with you on the scale. But my question is when did TIE’s start doing that? It answers the question as to how they could land somewhere other than a SD or base with the launch facilities though.
I’ve seen past versions just stood up on the wings/sails, but never quite liked that idea myself. This seems a lot more logical.

1 Like

First one I recall seeing was in the Mandalorian, when it fully lands, but the wings are not even fully flat there.
For ref only.

Before this, they were usually only seen in flight scenes or stored Hanging in hangers on launch rails with the wings fully up inside Star Destroyers or ground bases … even further on in the Mandalorian seasons , they are seen on the ground with the wings fully vertical …

5 Likes

Johnny, I agree on 1/32. Seems right based on the pilot.

The wing fold seems very similar weird unless it is in the process of landing. Never seen flying Ties with that wing folding structure. Anyway, unique look so why not. :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Maybe just partially folded in flight as it comes in to land while it hovers ?

3 Likes

These guys are not Earthlings… maybe they are bigger than us! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Ah, wonder if it’s supposed to be a small production batch of specials? Remember they had a variety of specials in the X-Wing games back in the day.
I’ve still not seen any of that show. I just can’t justify the subscription fee to myself for one series.
Anyway, it’ll be a cool build to see how it comes along.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Couldn’t resist pushing another button…

Stimpy Pushing the Red Button

GOING!

I’m teleporting in with a diorama base (20" x 20" – 50.8 x 50.8cm) — TOP SECRET hanger bay for the Haunebu IIb Flying Saucer Project. :construction: :flying_saucer: :construction: :shushing_face: Ultimately, the base will include two support vehicles (from the ‘Convoy’ Campaign), some oddball scratch-built ground equipment and hopefully a busy Ground Crew, etc.

Here’s what I’ve got so far… Joined-together 6+ Evergreen Sheets and penciled-in a 6° off-angled concrete grid layout. Next up will be to scribe V-joints into the surface. :hocho:

“I’m standing in wet concrete, aren’t I?” :face_with_monocle:

“In due time, Herr Inspektor, in due time.” :construction::sweat_drops::construction: :grin:

—mike …:flying_saucer:

7 Likes

The off angle looks really good and adds another dimension to it all :+1:

2 Likes

Here’s a series of screen shots of the TIE fighter landing from the Mandalorian episode for those who haven’t been guilted into Disney Plus by their kids.

Approaching

the fold while landing

landed

and still landed but oddly the wings are partially open again. Go figure…

and (just for fun) in a Star Destroyer.

Lots of options

Cheers,
Colin

8 Likes

This is a bit difficult to explain, as it depends on the release of a kit which hasn’t yet been officially announced… A while back AZ Models released as series of He-162 kits, based around the He-162A. But if you wanted a nice He-162A there was also the rather nice Special Hobby one available at around the same price point. Where AZ Models differed it was all the same frame in different boxes with different decals but the frame included the swept wings of the He-162C and the forward swept wings of the He-162D as well as an alternative butterfly tail. The problem is that that those wings were attached to a prototype He-162B fuselage (lengthened and with a HeS 011A turbojet rather than the specified BMW 003). AZ Model then went on to produce their interpretation of a two-seat trainer using the original sprue frame plus a second with a new fuselage and cockpit parts, and a new canopy to fit the new fuselage (but not one for the single-seater). The version nearest to the standard-format He-162A they termed the He-162S, but this was the designation of a two-seat glider version which was built and did fly. The latest releases are termed “Volksjeager '46” and are based around a proposed He-162 with the turbojet replaced by one or two Argus As 044 pulsejets. These kits comprise two entirely new frames and to date have only been released in single seat format. However, the frame with the wing components does have a second fuselage which appears to be a two seater (it is shaded out on the parts map on the instruction sheet). I’m hoping there will be a release with a two-seater canopy as by omitting the pulsejets it should at least approximate a He-162S glider. I don’t envisage there being a release of one other variant which did fly, the He-162E, basically an A with a BMW 003R turbojet with an integrated rocket booster fitted as the motor. I could buy a “Volksjeager '46” and the two seat trainer in the hope AZ Models envisage utilising the the same two seater canopy with the alternative fuselage of the “Volksjeager '46”. This would give me a He-162S glider and some sort of single-seat He-162. I’m reluctant to do that in case the canopy is different and I’m already over-stocked with the single-seaters as Hannants had them on a discount recently…
So what’s this got to do with a Drilling? Basically, it would be an unpowered two-seat centre fuselage with two powered single-seat unmanned fuselages on constant-chord stub wings either side equipped with BMW 003Rs if I can find a reference for the nacelle shape. The tailplane would probably be a split butterfly with a single enlarged (outer panel of the swept wing?) surface on the outboard side of the single-seater fuselages tail cones, with the centre fuselage tail cone removed and replaced by the nozzle of another booster rocket. Outer wing panels to be decided, there’s quite a choice…

Regards,

M

3 Likes

“You’re a bit short for a storm trooper…” to quote Princess Leia. :grin:

4 Likes

Welcome onboard, Mike und Herr Inspektor :wink:
Looking forward to see the diorama take shape. How big is the flying saucer? That base looks bigger than I expected.

Tom, thanks for the insights on the drilling. You lost me a bit on all thw versions, but I get your idea and I think it is super cool :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for all the tie fighter insights, guys. Very cool! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Danke Jesper!
• Diameter is 14" (35.56cm) x Height 5 ¼" (13.33cm). :flying_saucer:
• The base is 20" x 20" x 2" (50.8 x 50.8 x 5.08cm). :white_square_button:

And since I performed the chop top surgery earlier on, the Haunebu IIb fits neatly back into its original box, helping to keep her out of harm’s way. :package:

Empty Nest Syndrome …

Some of the sub-assembly storage boxes generated by the build.

Walmart loves me! :sweat_smile:

—mike …:flying_saucer:

7 Likes

I think I may have confused myself as well… I should have mentioned the concept was that it would be night fighter with the RIO in the back seat. Armament would be four 30mm MK 103 cannon, one in each of the unmanned fuselages on the outboard station (so the muzzle flash didn’t dazzle the pilot) and two in the centre fuselage in a “Shrage Musik” installation.

Cheers.

M

2 Likes

Shall I build an alternative history event which is a panzer III/IV in 1936? (If the third empire decided to only change the turret and choose the more potential hull of Pz4 instead of two different tanks.)

2 Likes

I am ready to start my experimental B17 project, maybe the first NASA plane after the capture of Nazi technology.

I have just bought a second old B17e kit to get some original replacement parts for the modification of the fuselage . So I try to keep the fine rivets ( there are multi millions of them ! ) when rebuilding the complete structure in 4-5 sections .

The original engines will be keeped without props, the power is transmitted with advanced hydraulic systems trough the wings to the Center of the fuselage . The Tailfinn is complete removed for a 4x prop push system at the back of the plane .

Main wing moved backwards , canards at the front ( like the XB70 ).

With a front wheel it will change from a tailsitter to a modern plane , and so I get room for the push props at the backside too .

This is my starting pic, the sprues are identical, the blue Box got some very nice decals in it .

Name will be like B-17xc
( 4 engines center drive )

6 Likes

Tom, sounds even cooler now. It will be a tight packed center fuselage with Schragemusik and double seater. Looking forward to see if it ever takes flight! :slight_smile:

UBCS, welcome onboard. Sounds like a cool subject - would definitely fit this campaign well. Do we have a first name or callsign other than UBCS? :wink:

Gerrit, some serious conversion going on - will it still be a bomber when finished or some other role. Looking forward to see more.

2 Likes

Good idea! I’m going to think of it.:grinning:

1 Like

Electrical transmission would be better, you can have multiple individually-routed cables which would be more damage-resistant than hydraulics and probably lighter too. Don’t forget some sort of fan (FW 190-style) just inside the engine cowling to keep the motors cool when running on the ground/taxying/ climbing.

Main wing moved backwards , canards at the front ( like the XB70 ).

Or like this:

Proposed Vickers “Type C” heavy bomber, six Bristol Centaurus with contra-rotating props

Cheers,

M

6 Likes