Sci-Fi & What If VII Campaign

Decals finally removed.
Seriously, these things were really stuck down. If it wasn’t for the fact they decided to turn into 1000 piece jigsaws when they went down I would have been very impressed!

Just needs a clean to remove the sanding dust and a quick respray of the upper wing.

4 Likes

Sorry that didn’t go as planned Stephen… Hopefully round 2 will fair better for you and the BoP :+1:

1 Like

Thanks John.
The replacements should behave themselves. JTGraphics decals are usually quite good. Have a few sets of theirs to use on other projects. They’re probably the best Trek decals I have seen. The set for the 1/1400 Enterprise D has to be seen to be believed. For example, every escape pod is a separate decal. And each has the ship registery and individual number in very tiny print. Unbelievable the level of detail they have.

2 Likes

That’s hurting my eyes just thinking about it lol

1 Like

Yeah I think it will be a challenge to get them all o
in place. I don’t know how many, but I think it’s more than a hundred!
Cost me a bit to get it, but worth every penny.

1 Like

A fresh coat of paint on the wings and looking good as new. Ready for some gloss tomorrow.

Very happy with how well the salvage has gone.

4 Likes

I think I’ll pop into this campaign!
In a week or two I should have a Revell 1/32 Halo warthog I’m going to completely repaint to look like the Warthog from my favorite TV series, Red vs Blue.
(Red vs blue is a really ridiculously funny show that I would totally recommend.)

The warthog in Red vs blue has been around from Season 1 ep.2 up to Season 15 where it was destroyed (For the 5th time) and is recognizable known for blasting the Reds Favorite music… Mexican polka.

The warthog has also gone through a regimen of names when it was first introduced; Warthog, Puma, walrus, Big foot, sasquatch, unicorn, leprechaun and Chupathingy.
To understand the mess of names you just read above I would recommend reading this…

(The first seasons sounds awful through the helmet filters but greatly improves by season 2)

1 Like

Interesting to see how that one turns out.
Never actually managed to find any of Revells Halo kits in the UK. Either they sold out quickly or were never released here. I think they also did a Pelican and Banshee?

1 Like

From what I’ve heard they are pretty good.
I know they released a 1/100 Pelican but I’m not sure about a Banshee…if they did thats really cool!

1 Like

I think I was imagining it. The only ones I can see listed are the Pelican and Warthog. Not clear if they’re still in this year’s catalogue or oop though.

I could have been thinking of the Megablocks range. I know they did a lot of Halo stuff.

2 Likes

Well, let’s get these new decals on.

They are printed on a continual carrier film, so you do need to trim quite close to the print.
One thing I didn’t realise, is that they are transparent and have no white backing. This actually worked out ok, as the finish is darker than the kits original dayglo orange. Probably would have looked a bit too cartoony if I had stuck with those I feel.

What a difference! Went down with no bother. Just needed a little microsol I help settle down in the corners.

7 Likes

That looks so much better… You did the right thing getting those :+1::+1:

1 Like

Thanks John. Looking at how they’ve gone down I certainly did.
I’ve got their sheets for the Enterprise D, Reliant, Saratoga, Rio Grande a single nacelle TOS era scout. Have some of the PNT Decals sheets which are equally nice, but I believe are now OOP. I remember hearing something about the guy printing them having to call it a day due to ill health. Not sure if anyone has taken up the business.

Back with the build, I found a couple of wheels in the spares box that fit into the ends of the nacelles. I’m going to paint them dayglo green in the hope that I can replicate a warp glow.

3 Likes

Yesterday and today has been spent applying the rest of the decals.

I did need to trim a little out of the middle of the decal which goes across the rear hull. Obviously it can’t go on with the fin running through the middle!

Not sure why this is not given in 2 parts.
Went on fine after trimming.

The large decals for the eagle were tricky to get down without wrinkles. I did manage to tear one of the tail feathers, but a hell of a lot easier to get back together than the kits!

All looking good so far.

7 Likes

Looking very good, and nicely worked round for the decal and it’s trim…
They all look good and I can see how it would take time to get the perfect fit… Nicely done @phantom_phanatic :+1:

1 Like

Thanks John. These are easily the largest decals I’ve ever worked with. Prior to that, the largest so far had been lozenge cammo on WNW’s Rumpler. Luckily these didn’t have wing ribs and stitches to conform to! That job took nearly a month.
I found the easiest way to work with these was to get them in a place I was happy with. And then leave them alone. A little microsol has been needed in a few spots, but besides from that have gone down nicely.
I now need to do something about the windows around the hull edges. I’m going to pull Revells Klingon D7 out of the stash, as I have a vague recollection that they provided optional window decals.

3 Likes

Great progress on the decals! Huge improvement and worth the time and money investment.

Looking forward to see more :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

SARGE: May I introduce our new, light reconnaissance vehicle.
It has four inch armor plating, mag bumper suspension, a mounted machine gunner position, and total seating for three. Gentlemen, this is the M12 LRV! I like to call it the Warthog.

SIMMONS:Why Warthog, sir?

SARGE: Because M12 LRV is too hard to say in conversation, son.

Grif: I know, but why Warthog? I mean, it doesn’t really look like a pig.

Sarge: Say that again.

Grif: I think it looks more like a puma.

Sarge: What in Sam Hell is a puma?

Simmons:* Uh, you mean like the shoe company?*

Grif: No, like a puma. It’s a big cat, like a lion.

Sarge: You’re making that up.

Grif: I’m telling you, it’s a real animal!

Sarge: Simmons, I want you to poison Grif’s next meal.

Simmons: Yes, sir!

Hey all,
My 1/35 Warthog arrived today!
After about 30 min of building I had it all done.

Im very happy with this kit, yes its a snap fit and meant more as a toy but the detail is pretty good.

Though one thing I cant live with its the rear machine gun. I will be scratch building a new one that it actually accurate.

The figures are fairly passable as well.

But as I am building the Puma… heh, Warthog from Red Vs Blue I need to modify the figures to look like Griff, Sarge and Simmons.
Meaning I need to chop the helmet off the Master chief figure and cast it so I have 2 new ones then I can put them on the other figures, as they all have the Mk.5 helmet in RVB.

I will also be modeling this as a Halo 3 Warthog as opposed to a Halo 5 one which the kit is molded as.
So that means ALOT of changes and scratch building.

Halo 3 Warthog

Halo 5 Warthog

Next update soon!

5 Likes

Nice start! I am looking forward to seeing what you can turn this kit into. I am sure it will look great! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Looking really good.
I agree the gun does look a little toylike, but I wonder if it’s supposed to represent the anti-armour cannon they were fitted with in Halo 2? Been years since I’ve played it, but iirc it was some sort of short barrel particle accelerator? Will have to dig it out and play the originals again at some point.

Thanks Jesper. I think they were worth it and I couldn’t be happier with how they turned out.

I shot a protective gloss coat on them yesterday before I work on the hull windows.

While I’ve been working on the decals it kept reminding me of an old cartoon. And it wasn’t the animated Star Trek’s, but something else. Bit of looking around and I finally figured out. It was the Golden Condor from the 80’s anima series The Mysterious Cities of Gold. Haven’t seen that one since I was a kid, but it stuck in my head. Might have to track it down and rewatch it.

Back with the BoP. I dug out the decals from Revells Klingon D7 and as I remembered, it does indeed have optional window decals. Revell give the windows as clear parts to help make life easier if you add lights. So, the decals are uneeded and will do the job perfectly here.

For reference I’m using the plans from the old Star Trek Fact Files magazine series.

5 Likes