Scratch Built & Conversions

Great tip for the threads. Thank you

1 Like

Thanks, I do have a lathe but that brake cylinder was built with many different diameters of Evergreen tubing.

I do use a cheap manual plastic tubing cutter to get those nice straight end cuts and to do the radial scores on the tubes.

1 Like

By hand then. Very well done.

Finished model seen just tonight, for sale on eBay. (Asking $145)

I guess the builder had to add renforced divider walls fore and aft to support the weight of that gun.
(That last statement made very “tongue in cheek!”)

1 Like

$145?? Wonder what I’d get for mine, given it has been upgraded greatly?

4 Likes

I was trying to say a few months ago maybe we’re underselling ourselves…

2 Likes

Just because he’s asking $145 doesn’t mean he’ll actually get a sale at that price! But you never know…

2 Likes

Well the paint on that one is certainly first rate.

Nice job on the old dog, Peter!

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Had some modelling time over New Year’s holidays and built some features on my Sd. Anh.108:

Cheers,
Angel

7 Likes

It will be a shame to cover this with the boats Angel. Fantastic work.

3 Likes

Angel, I gotta ask: Where is the third motor going to go? I know it moves to the rear to avoid the spare tire. Will it also be mounted up higher, snuggled in under the first boat? (boot)

Yes, I do see the third motor on your top view drawing above. Will it be totally lost (visually) up under the boats?

Another perhaps odd question: Just which is the front and which the rear of these trailers? Do the engines of the outboard motors point forward when the trailer is towed or to the rear?

1 Like

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, Mike:

It is mounted up higher, snuggled in under the first boat.And basically hidden under the boats.

The rear of the trailer is where the spare tire is.All engines are mounted on the trailer with propellers pointing towards front.2 of the engines are visible at trailer’s rear and were very often packed in protective fabrics to keep dust away:
s-l400
(BTW this picture was taken in Bulgaria, during March 1941s Wehrmacht crossing of my country in preparation for Operation Marita)

Cheers,
Angel

5 Likes

Благодарим ви

Приятна вечер

(auto-translate)

Also then does the towing tongue steer the front wheels of the trailer? They must. It looks like the entire front axle/dolly/fender assembly can move left/right with the towing tongue?

1 Like

Yes, the towing tongue does steer the front axle of the trailer:

But the front fender is rigidly attached to the trailer frame, so it does not move with the front axle:

Very unusual concept, indeed!

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

FYI ~ In the world of carriage and wagon building that pivot above the front axle that allows it to steer is also referred to as a “fifth wheel.”

1 Like

I know Mike,

I am a big fan of this YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/@EngelsCoachShop

:wink:
Angel

3 Likes

Angel, just sharing a small piece of trivia with the group.

As a child the Boraxo Corporation had an offer. You could mail order a model of the 2 Borax wagons and the water wagon, PLUS all 20 mules to pull it. I think it was 1/87th Scale. I built it and had it mounted on a board for many years on my display shelves.

The Boraxo water tank still serves as an elevated railroad oiling facility for my HO model railroad, (Somewhere in storage.)

Is that the same channel that was used to build the wagon by another poster a few years back?

1 Like

I think this way of constructing the fenders was rather common in Germany
Postwar trailer (Revell 1/24 scale)