Scratch Built & Conversions

I have no idea, Ryan…
I found this channel several months ago- while trying to find sources to learn the basics of wagon building- and it is not only learning, but also a great relax to watch the content.

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

I meant an unusual concept for a German WWII military trailer, Robin.

There are many German 2 axle trailers with a fifth wheel front axle steering(the Pf. 10-12 series,the Sd.Anh.106), but none of them has a single front fender covering the entire width of the trailer like the Sd.Anh. 108 does.

Add to this the central tube conecting both axles and you have an unusual German WWII military trailer concept.

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

It is the channel and I agree, found the channel very interesting.

Here is the project I was talking about.

2 Likes

How 'bout a nice little (or not so little) rooftop billboard advertising sign?

~ Substituting the appropriate era and language of the sign for the diorama you are building. ~

These signs were sometimes permanently attached to the rooftops but in other cases they were temporary and the bottom cross members would be sand bagged so that they could later be adjusted as to location on the roof or removed all together.

Perhaps an easy one evening scratch project.

6 Likes

The recent announcement by MiniArt of the upcoming release of their model Ben Hur trailer in 1/35th brought to mind an old scratch build from back in the day when we had to build whatever the model companies would not provide for us.

The only " under construction" photo I could find.

Cut down Tamiya deuce to form the Chevy 4x4 with an added Italeri hard cab body.

Poor man’s free-lanced long bed COE deuce seen just above.

Trailer tires came from the old Italeri Water Trailer. (still available) Fenders are cut downs from a Tamiya Steyr kit then add some Evergreen channel and the rest is all scratch.

There is a small, flat plastic spring built into the hitch that lets that parking wheel pivot and lock either in the up or down position. The parking wheel itself is a thin ring of plastic tube, filled with body putty then sanded and center drilled once dry. The parking brake handle itself is just a piece of flat plastic strip split with a hobby knife to form the brake release handle and then sanded to final shape.

Admittedly the proportions are a bit off and the fencing is slightly too short but at the time, given a lack of references back then, (35+ years ago) I was fairly happy with the outcome.

5 Likes

A little something Sci-Fi that I cobbled-together this afternoon (very rough for now). Final scale is 1/72 (figure for reference).

‘Die Riesige Sprengbombe’ :bomb:

Three 1/35 scale Tamiya Fuel Drums glued end-to-end. Whittled Tamiya Buckets make up the nose cone and exhaust tube. Evergreen Styrene added for fins and lifting loops.

Guess I’ll need to scratch-build some sort of raised wheeled scaffolding cradle now. … One thing leads to another. :hammer_and_wrench: :thinking::thought_balloon:

—mike

[EDIT] Changed “Jerry Cans” to “Fuel Drums.”

5 Likes

Now you need (as you said) a four wheel dolly for that daisy cutter. Perhaps look to a 1/48 scale deuce and a half to provide the small wheel sets or some resin aircraft wheels.

No criticism here - just trying to help.

p.s. Or maybe some sort of “C” channel cradle / skid frame.

1 Like

I don’t have any of that. I’ll most likely make the wheels from sliced styrene tube.

Yeah, something like this, only taller. I gots plenty of Evergreen! :hocho:

Cheers!
—mike

2 Likes

The nose of that thing, and the figure next to it, remind me of “Dr Strangelove!”
Ken

4 Likes

Need to find a bow legged Texan figure, waving his cowboy hat as he “rides it on down.”

2 Likes

Drill into the side and slide in a section of styrene rod with a disc on top for a fuse:

The German ones often had two.

2 Likes

Nah, it’s ski season here in Colorado. And that means we’ve got more than our share of bad driving bow-legged Texans on wintery roads. I love the movie ‘Doctor Strangelove,’ however this is a completely different scenario. No bomb rides here. :cow::cowboy_hat_face:

@ petbat: The fuse/s idea might be a keeper. :firecracker:

—mike

1 Like

Another try, Mike :grin:

How about this Lucy girl:

Not riding…just leaning on… :wink: :grinning:
Cheers,
Angel

2 Likes

Well Lucy’s legs are gonna take some work . . . . .

2 Likes

@ Angel: Wrong scale. Lucy’s too tall of a Texan. She’d be better suited to taking a joy-ride in one of your 1/35 scale invasion boots (see what I did there). Sleeping defenders would be caught off guard as they wouldn’t believe their eyes! :crazy_face:

—mike

3 Likes

Speaking about (Sturm)boots- I just finished scratchbuilding the third Sturmboot for the Sd.Anh.108:

It is a Sturmboots upper hull only and will need some refining.

Cheers,
Angel

7 Likes

@ Angel: Your Shturmgebooten are looking good!

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Here’s a small update on the terror weapon.

For starters, I did some sanding of the leading and trailing edges on the fins to remove some of the sharpness.

Per the petbat’s (Peter’s) suggestion, I’ve added fuses — three per left and right sides. I used MENG Resin ‘Nuts and Bolts Set A Large (1.8mm)’. … I think those should suffice to blow this beastie…

Now what’s an evil experiment without an access hatch to the secrets? … more Evergreen Styrene, but of course. BTW: I heard that Chuck Yeager stopped by to donate a broom handle! :laughing:

That’s it for now.

Happy scratching!
—mike

7 Likes

Add two auxiliary spherical LOX tanks and…

1 Like

Freakin’ brilliant man! I like it

1 Like

Glad you like it KSone!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Tim, Is that anything like LOX and bagels? :bagel: :grin:
Apologies, I can no longer reverse the Weapon Laugh Sequence. :rocket: Your package will arrive on April 01, 2023. Here is your Tracking No. OZ-01010101010101010101010101-OG

—mike :upside_down_face:

3 Likes