Sd.Ah. 115 10 ton trailer from Das Werk

Could they be hidden in some box/locker/compartment? On the towing vehicle? Trailer designed to work in combo with the FAUN so the truck carries some of the equipment?

Ooops, I was thinking about the small blocks used to lift the tank when driving onto the truck, i.e. when the chock blocks are in use to block the trailer wheels

My guess would be that whatever tie-down equipment there was would be captive right there where the chocks are stored. This would be true for both those jack blocks and the wedge blocks.

3 Likes

WARNING LABELS

Rear Labels:
Sd.Ah.115 on ferryCrop
These labels probably say something like:
“Clockwise to raise / counter-clockwise to lower”
sdanh115_s_lt38_110Crop

These front end labels; I have no idea what they might say:
“Warning: Wide Load - Stand Clear”???
Esv0KBWarrowCrop2

1 Like

Maybe some labels from Tamiya Sd.Ah 116 could be usable ? :roll_eyes:

H.P.

1 Like

Edit: ~

Looks like 30 might be the one as there are two of them on the sheet. For now I am just going to go with a blank white rectangular decal.

Darn, I have the Famo (almost complete - without the trailer) but now cannot seem to find the decal sheet to go with it!

I guess that is what I get for having too many ongoing model projects and taking years to complete some builds!

OK - I am going to try something new. (New to me anyway.)

Edit: ~ I ended up recreating the labels on my computer rather than using the Tamiya decals which were too low res at that small size,

I am going to try and print those two small front end warning labels using the Tamiya artwork that Frenchy provided. (OK - I know it is copyrighted artwork but hey, it’s just two tiny, unreadable labels and Papa Tamiya KNOWS I have already invested heavily in Tamiya model products and paints! - Plus I recommend the heck out of his paint products here on this site!)

I am going to try and print the two tiny labels on computer grade photo quality paper and then see if I can’t peal the glossy print coating off the paper backing to make a fairly thin sign.

6f62f59242fd08e060fecd2a8389771f43f82d39_2_374x500

Even is this works it won’t make for exactly what you would call a “thin film decal” but it might look like a metal placard that has been riveted to the front beam of the trailer.

I will report back as to my success or failure.

1 Like

The decal you’re about to reproduce has 4 lines of text - are you sure the ones on the trailer in the pic do, too? From what I can see, it looks more like just two lines.
Peter

Well now that you mention that I can fix it.

Mike
You can take a look at the instructions for the Sd.Ah 116 to compare the decals locations to the 115 period pics and see if some decals, other than #24, would be usable…
https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/0/4/6/121046-57-instructions.pdf

H.P.

1 Like

Well I learned that I cannot set type that small. (Below one point in size, - Should have known that already.)

But . . . . .

I CAN take a picture of the much larger type and print a photo that small. Also I found that I CAN strip the smooth coating of the photo paper off to make a thinner label. So now I will bring out the scissors and the Future to seal these new placards onto my trailer.

I will say that I am trying to use the Future as a glue to hold these labels on but the water in the Future is giving them the tendency to want to curl up because of their small size. If I had it to do over I think I would.d use a tiny bit of Elmer’s white glue to initially hold them on and then the Future later after they had stuck.

3 Likes

Well here are the results - I’m not totally satisfied a 100% with those labels but I can live with it. I also made the two small arched labels at the rear of the trailer by just adding a touch of white paint.

6 Likes

I do hope everyone is still awake out there as I know this may be getting to be a bit tedious!

The NEXT details to add:

Some 115’s appear to have had wooden guides/bumpers bolted to their top deck frame rails. (As Optional) I imagine these cut down on the chances that a damaged vehicle would go astray while loading and crush the winch housing or the tool box.

image-2crop2Arrow2jpg

Once again here I am using the after-market detail set as though it were actual reference.

3 Likes

I don’t find your research and fact-finding tedious Mike!

1 Like

Now you mention it … Zzzzzzzzzzz

Only kidding Mike, it’s a great build with some fantastic detailing and the research just adds to it for everyone’s benefit :+1:

1 Like

OK then . . . . WAKE UP!

Starting with 2 pieces of Evergreen #175
(.100" x .100" or 2.5mm x 2.5mm)
First cut to length and I gave them my usual “wood stain” of Model Masters muddy brown plus a wash of Citadel’s Sepia Shader.
Then four drilled holes, run only partly thru each beam in order to countersink the bolt heads.
Add a small drop of model glue to each hole and insert an appropriately sized nut and washer casting (painted rust color) with the threaded bolt shank completely cut off.
Let dry.
Finally I gave each beam my usual very dry overspray of Tamiya Matte Clear (TS-80 rattle can) to kill any glue shine highlight reflections and then attached them to my model.

Voila!

1 Like

Well, Here Ya Go . . . . !

Front View

. . . and the reverse angle on the view screen, if you please, Mr. Data.

p.s. Robin ~ I finally broke down and permanently glued those two jacking blocks onto the front fenders. I still feel sure they were deleted in the later production 115’s but they do add more detail, more visual interest and more color to that top deck so I decided to go with them anyway

6 Likes

Now onto that parking brake cable and the angled blocks on that raised fairlead.

Also on the lookout for some proper oval link chain to use with those deck turnbuckles!
Some correct size and shape chain is included in the Tamiya Sd.Ah. 116 recovery trailer kit but that is needed for that model.

I suppose these by Trumpeter are too large?

1 Like

Robin are these chains something Trumpeter sells as an after-market item? I was not aware of them. The tie down chains on both the 115 and the 116 are fairly large (almost anchor chains) so probably the smaller of these two would be perfect.

The chain that comes in the Custom Scale after-market set (to my knowledge) is a circular link rather than oval which is incorrect.

1 Like