Shunting Loco

This build is for the Inaugural Railway Campaign

I decided to create a blog so I don’t clog the main campaign thread with too much mumbo-jumbo. This project is based on the designs of Locotractors and Trackmobiles.

Kits used will be these:

Mainly the forklift and then parts from the other two kits.

Basically the parts that will be used to establish the tractor wheels and rail traction gear.

Building the traction differentials from the Tramcar kit is a breeze. Excellent fit and intelligent locations for the ejection pin marks. Details look good as well.

Road wheels need arms so I dug out a Tamiya M2 Bradley lower hull. The suspension arms were a perfect size for this project so I started cutting them out.

1 Like

I can’t see the pivot hub on the arm so I extended them using the wheel axles from the other arms.
Glued them together then pinned them with brass rod.

Much better. Now I can see them which will be more interesting for the model.

The road wheels and their articulating arms along with the rail traction wheels and the whole under carriage subassembly is starting to come together.

2 Likes

Wow! That’s clever. Great idea.

1 Like

I count four colors of plastic. Can’t wait to see more as assembly progresses.

1 Like

HI KSO, great project - nice mixing and matching. Looking forward to seeing you pull this together -

cheers
Nick

1 Like

Thank you, Gentlemen. Tonight’s activities will include final positions of the chassis for alignment of the hydro cylinder actuators for the road wheel arms.