Siege of Malta Campaign

Great work, Peter! I would go with one of the two first ones. Maybe the middle one as first priority since this is in Maltees colors.

Just my two cents - in the end up to the campaign leader I guess. :slight_smile:

Had completely forgotten about this campaign!

Whatā€™s the deadline? I might need to switch to something quick as Iā€™ve barely made a start on that bomber.

I like the one with the Maltese cross.

@phantom_phanatic: it runs until the end of September

1 Like

Thanks Phil.
Think I have a Hobbyboss Macchi that would be a nice simple build.

1 Like

Stephen, that would be a nice build as well. Are you going for the ā€œsmoke ringsā€ camouflage?

1 Like

Iā€™d have to check the decal sheet Iā€™m using, but I think the set I have are in the overall green and sand blobs.

Ah the joys of older kits. Just a few ejector pins on the outside surfaces.

Proud or recessed, I can handle them OK, but both on the same pin???!!??

5 Likes

Mark, Iā€™m interested to see how this one goes together. The Baltimore doesnā€™t get enough love. Iā€™m hoping someone will do a new tool in the near future.

Hi All,

Great work Peter! Thanks for your hard work and effort! For this campaign Iā€™d vote on the Maltese Cross. Itā€™s been a while since weā€™ve had any awards, kind of nice.

Just a quick update on my Hurricane Mk 1B. I got the thing painted and followed with the decals. This is my first Airfix kit in ages, and will admit that their ā€œnewā€ attitude is well worth the investment! despite some minor fit issues and an odd sink hole, itā€™s a pretty good kit. And far more affordable than what was out there!

Next up some small stuff, and then a little weathering. Since it was on a carrier it should look clean but used. Iā€™m optimistic!

Remember to wash your hands with soap and water often! Have fun modeling! I am!!

6 Likes

Thanks John. Seems that award No. 2 might be the unanimous choiceā€¦

Okay time to show where I am at on the Valentine. Unfortunately, I went a shade too dark with my dust coat, but lesson learned. When you think it needs just that touch more - it does not!

8 Likes

Thatā€™s incredible!

2 Likes

That looks really nice Peter.
Iā€™m currently holidaying in Malta at the moment and seeing all the old stone walls around here, that cammo would have blended in really well.

Have so far visited the Malta Aviation Museum and Fort Rinella, but thatā€™s about all the history my partner wants to do. Sheā€™d much prefer to sit near the sea. Rinella is a very interesting late Victorian fort which still has its Vickers Armstrong muzzle loading cannon in place. Brilliant team of staff who give tours in period uniform and even let you have a crack at firing blanks from a Martini Henry rifle!

As soon as Iā€™m back, Iā€™m more determined than ever to complete a build for the campaign.

On a side note, I found a small model shop in Valletta who have a very sun faded Academy B-24 Iā€™m trying to convince myself to buy. I think I can squeeze it into the luggage.

2 Likes

This is an awesomely cool paint job. I love it!

1 Like

Malta is high up on my list of must see places Stephen. Australia is still isolating itself from all but New Zealand so it may be a long time before I can enact on the dream.

Coming from Queensland Australia, sitting on a beach is something we can do anytime, so my wife is much more interested in the historical sites we visit. It is getting her to give me time in the military museums that is hard for me. However, happily she fell asleep in the sun in the Tank Garden at the Museum of Military History in Vienna, so I had a lot longer visit than she plannedā€¦ and well I had 2 1/2 days at Bovington as she saw the sign for the Monkey zoo when she dropped me off on day 1, and spent all day at the zoo day 2, then had to spend 1/2 a day on Day 3 on the things she planned for the afternoon of the previous day!

1 Like

Stephen, always buy a kit with a nice history. That the kit is sun faded just adds character. It will be nice to think back on your holiday when you build it. :sunglasses:

Peter, awesome work on the camouflage. Really a difficult one to pull of, but yours look outstanding. :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Your right @SGTJKJ. And Liberators seem to be very thin on the ground these days, so I donā€™t think I can pass up grabbing one. I really do wish Airfix or Revell would do a new tooling. We have B-17ā€™s and Lancasterā€™s coming out of our ears, now give us the most produced bomber in history!

2 Likes

When the opportunity finally arrives for you, itā€™s well worth it. I would recommend out of season perhaps, it would be cooler and less crowded. Although to be honest, we were the only visitors at the Aviation Museum when we arrived. Itā€™s only a small collection, but worth the visit if youā€™re there. We originally booked in 2019 for 2020, before the s#@t hit the fan. Luckily our travel agent put it back to this year for us so we didnā€™t lose out.
Bovington is high on my list of places to visit. It may be a case of her dropping me off at opening time and picking me up at closing!

1 Like

I seriously suggest, that if you want to take photographs, you take at least 2 daysā€¦ and take the time to talk to any staff you see around the place. Most are friendly and like a chat, and can be very informative. I helped out a guy on day 1. He was struggling to raise the flotation screen on a Ferret by himself. Had a nice chat through out the day. Day 2 when he saw me, he asked for help again, then he gave me a ā€˜privateā€™ tour, some of which was not open to the general public. But I will deny that in courtā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll keep that in mind. I imagine that they have a lot of very interesting stuff in storage.
A few years back we visited a nuclear bunker up in Scotland not far from St Andrews. Along one corridor was a locked door with a warning sign saying something about no access to visitors, alarmed etc. Obviously I was nosey about what was behind there, and through the curtain in the window I could see several MP44 rifles in a rack as well a lot of other stuff. Mostly SLRā€™s, couple of GPMGā€™s and Stirlingā€™s. Makes me wonder what a lot of museums keep behind closed doors.

2 Likes