Signs of the Big Headed Modeler

People like that can be handled by volunteers acting as ‘designated victims’ on a rotating schedule.
“Ohh dang! Here he comes”
“Who’s on diversion duty today??”

4 Likes

Absolutely :100: true!

1 Like

A lot easier these days. You arrange for your mate to call you when the enthusiast comes over… “Oh, it is the wife…sorry better take this” - walk off with a nod to your mate.

2 Likes

If the fix doesn’t hold, take it to a place that fixes plastic car bumpers. I read where someone did that for something similar and it was so easy the place did it for free.

Is that the optivisor you can get at Harbor Freight? I’ve been buying those for years. Each time it would last for about 8 months before it became too loose to be functional (you can normally push it up and it will stay up on your head when you don’t need to look through the visor - when it gets loose it just won’t stay up like that). I mail ordered a couple during CoVid and neither lasted 8 weeks. Anyone know a fix to make it stay in place better?

That rivet gets worn loose after a while. Not the rivet itself but the “stay-up” feature depends on the friction between the plastic parts. I don’t think you can hammer the rivet tighter, the inside part of it feels like plastic. It might be possible to slide/force some kind of shim in between the head band and the visor.
I haven’t used the “stay-up” feature like that, I set it so that I can just about see beneath it and the elevate my eyeballs to see through the lens. Not ideal but it works …just …
I did get rid of the silly little lamps and their battery holders. Lost some weight off of the visor which makes life less stressful for that rivet. I tried to get the lens bulbs to light up the same area but I gave up on it after 20 minutes. Even if they had been perfect they can’t beat good workplace lighting.

I’ve wondered about using some kind of tacky glue smeared on it to see if that improves it - something like the stuff you use on paper - doesn’t provide a solid bond like white glue but might slow things up. But I’ve not tried it yet…

I thought about the sticky stuff method too. Just need to find the right stuff …

@phil2015 Phil, not a Harbor Freight visor, one of those high priced hobby shop visors. It’s Probably exactly the same as the Harbor Freight one :slight_smile:

The repaired visor has survived for three hours of use so far :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For my vision, the extra light actually helped me see into very tight areas… for about a half-an-hour. As with another one, when the batteries died, I 86’d the light. … So, light or lighter? I went for the latter. Lol!

Welcome to my world!

—mike

Some ideas - never tried them.
Ball bearing and some of Michaels Gaffer tape/Duct tape? I don’t think you could get in to drill a dimple for the ball bearing but if you can make a small dimple in the visor and glue the ball bearing in it, then drill a corresponding dimple on the head band. When lifted the ball bearings on each side should be enough to hold it. If you can’t get a drill in, maybe tape the ball bearing inside the lifting part and it may put enough pressure between them to keep it in place.

Other option is velcro. Glue a piece to the band, and glue the other strip to the visor with a piece ‘flapping’ so it fits along the band when its raised. When you raise it, just tap the loose part onto the hooks. Peel the loose part of the hooks to drop it down to use it.

Not aesthetic, but if it works…

Take the headband off of your head before drilling! :joy:

3 Likes

Or this will be you in a few hundred years…

3 Likes

4 Likes

I got these for $20 from Amazon and they are my deal of the year! Super sturdy. 2 LEDs in the brow. USB rechargeable. 4 lenses up to 5X, which is a +8 diopter! And they’re lightweight and not claustrophobic. Plus you can see around the sides for grabbing tools. This will be the best $20 you spend all year. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08725N4SH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

• Head Magnifying Glasses USB Charging Hands-Free Magnifier Eyeglasses with Lights 2 LED for Reading Jewelry Handicrafts Electronic Maintenance with 4 Detachable Lenses 1.5X, 2.5X, 3.5X, 5.0X

Roll over image to zoom in

Head Magnifying Glasses USB Charging Hands-Free Magnifier Eyeglasses with Lights 2 LED for Reading Jewelry Handicrafts Electronic Maintenance with 4 Detachable Lenses 1.5X, 2.5X, 3.5X, 5.0X

Brand: JUOIFIP

[4.2 out of 5 stars ](javascript:void(0)) 263 ratings

| 17 answered questions

List Price: $38.95
Price: $19.95 FREE One-Day & [FREE Returns](javascript:void(0))
You Save: $19.00 (49%)
Coupon Save an extra 15% when you apply this coupon.

Details|

Thank you for being a Prime member. Get a $100 Gift Card: Pay $0.00 upon approval for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card.

• :heart: Efficient Rechargeable Batteries: High-efficiency rechargeable batteries. They can support the continuous working time, which greatly prolongs the working time of LED, saves energy and protects the environment.
  • :heart: Adjustable Brightness & Angle: The hands free magnifying glass has 2 LED lights, which can adjust the brightness and angle of the LED light source, so that the light source can illuminate the surface of the object accurately.
  • :heart: Comfortable and Easy To Use: With ergonomics eyeglasses bracket, it is comfortable to wear, better fixed magnifying glass in front of eyes. The included headband allows the magnifier to be used alternately between glasses or headbands. It is easier to work for a long time.
  • :heart: Good Quality of Lenses: The lenses are made of acrylic resin. After special strengthening treatment, the surface hardness of the lenses reaches 5H grade, which is more wear-resistant, difficult to scratch, durable. The headband magnifier provides 4 interchangeable lenses with different magnifications to meet your different needs.
  • :heart: Widely Used: This magnifying glass is suitable for all people, especially the elderly, amateurs and professionals. It is widely used for repairing circuit boards, crafts, beauty, Jewelers, needlework, knitting and other close work. Can be used under insufficient light. Treat your eyes better, give more light when you need it.
1 Like

@SSGToms Matt, Thank you for the link and suggestion! Definitely will order a pair of them.

Can I steal that for my motorcycle club page?

2 Likes

@Hohenstaufen , absolutely! I stole it from somewhere on the interweb so feel free to share the fun!

1 Like

Yes, I have put a disk of EVA foam (hope that is the name of the product in English) on each side between the headband and the visor to add friction and works better than new. Stays in place without moving at all.

You can see it here in blue

3 Likes

The repair can be tricky. The light switch does not give the repair much purches. The repair needs to be strong yet flexable. My recommendation would be to clean the area to be repaired. Cut a piece of plastic that spans the break a quarter inchon each side of the break… Apply Shoe Goo to the patch and then press the patch to the side of the visor spanning the break. About 24 hours later you will be good to go. I use it on slot car bodies and it holds up under impact well.