Spitfire!

I have not done a campaign for a few years. Being as I have just finished my 1/24 mk XIc and I intended to start my Revell 1/32 XIc I will join up for this. I purchased a 3d decal for the instrument panel, and a top notch stencil for the markings. J.E.Johnson mk392 in 1944.
Pete

2 Likes

Did most of the Spitfires belly this evening. There will be a need for a tiny bit of filler and some sanding. Also, the plastic react quiet brutal with Tamiya liquid cement so use it sparesly. The plane I´m modelling arrived in Norway with bomb racks so they are on. I will attach the antennas and pitot tube as the last stage. They have a tendency to break…

5 Likes

Building up quickly … looks great Erik.

1 Like

Not started the Mk XII yet, but got the 2 sprues out for another look.

Some nice detail but still.unsure about the instrument panel and to leave it as it is or get a PE set …

There is a pilot figure included so that is probably why there’s no seat belt detail included… It’s molded on the pilot…

I may add him… Not sure though…

What’s a good colour match for the pilot uniform RAF blue ?

4 Likes

Oooh! I’m thinking a Porco Rosso themed Spitfire floatplane, I think there’s both the Mk V and Mk IX available…

Cheers,

M

1 Like

These are the colours I use for RAF Uniforms…

1 Like

Thanks Erwin, will look into those :+1:

My pleasure… As you can see, it is a complete set…
As for the results:

4 Likes

5 Likes

This is my build and the mask set

4 Likes

A quick blast of Duck Egg Green plus a scratch-built undercarriage leg to replace the one that went AWOL:

8 Likes

Be good watching this get built … its the kit I was going to get but wimped out and went 1/48 instead :see_no_evil:

Well, Mohr or less…
:crazy_face:
Cheers,

M

2 Likes

Detail is pretty good for the price Johnny. I did my 1/24 ixc with topnotch masks instead of decals and they work great. Look more realistic too. Hopefully make a start tonight or tomorrow
Pete

1 Like

I primed my Spitfire early this morning before work. It might seem a bit strange with black and white primer, but I prefer to spray light colors on white background.

This evening I sprayed the first color. The plane had yellow leading edges and I HATE spraying yellow! Therefor I spray yellow on white and mask of the leading edges when the paint is dry. Then I will spray the camoflage, covering the yellow with black Mr Surfacer 1500 first. The yellow paint has a tendency to bleed under the masking tape, hence this methode. The yellow markings on the leading edge is 0,7mm in 1/72 scale… The tail has a sky colored band and I find it easier to paint it and mask it off before doing the camo.

10 Likes

I know it’s not a race but I suspect you’ll finish before my 18-part wonder; I have to take a break for a couple of days (son’s wedding - real life getting in the way again!)

'Looking good Erik.

Going to London for work next week so there will be some days for you to catch up :wink:
I´m usually pretty diciplined when it comes to building. I do an hour or two from 9 PM most evenings.

I admire your discipline; I’m all over the place with half-completed projects, then I go off on yet other tangents. I think the trouble is that once one is retired, then one doesn’t have the need to relax from a job, ergo the hobby then metamorphoses into a chore - a job if you like. Anyway, that’s my excuse and it really isn’t good enough!

3 Likes

Started my build. Cockpit is 90% done. The 3d decals are convincing. No harness comes with the kit so make my own.

Pete

8 Likes

Looks very good :+1: