Stalingrad factory diorama 1:35

Wanted to make it more busy:

I hope that I did not over do it.

12 Likes

Detail is looking really good.

1 Like

I should start to prepare for the painting of the diorama
It is my probably least favourite part of all of this due to my extremely shaky hands. Does the shakiness go away with practise? Becasue if not, my figures will look like a 5 year old painted them :sweat_smile:

Looking at all the detailing you did, bolts and such, I think the shakiness is not too bad for painting :+1:

One way to reduce the shakiness is to rest the marked part

of your hand against something that doesn’t move.
Another option is to hold the figure in one hand, the brush in the other and
let the parts (marked above) of the hands press against each other and the elbows
rest on the table.
Any small movement of the hands will affect BOTH the figure AND the brush

3 Likes

@ gloch1. I’ve been following along, and I must say… Really nice scratch-building!

Yes… Just don’t stop doing what you’re doing. If you stop, the shakes will return. Something to do with muscle memory, I guess. :man_shrugging:

—mike

1 Like

As Robin mentioned, you can remedy this issue, or at least minimize it. I personally have my figure held snug in hand and a folded rag on the edge of the bench, just like Robin’s diagram. I also rest my brush hand fingers on the support hand when working fine details and lines, etc. Just work it, it’s only a matter of practice.

That is more correct than most people understand. Muscle memory, no thought required. I know it’s an odd concept, but it is a fact, it works. Try it next time you go to the range and speed draw, and still hit center mass on the target at 7yds.

If you keep trying you will make it happen. We all go through the bump and grind on figures, it’s just a matter of a lot of practice.

3 Likes

Like many other things our hobby involves repetitive stress.
Do hand and forearm exercises.
Also, sharp blades require less force. Gripping your paintbrush too tightly won’t make you more precise. It’ll just make you tired.

2 Likes

Steady as a rock but I paint with this hand …

5 Likes

A little update:
I have finished the pipes:

I have also finished the roof. I have yet to decide if the roof will be from corrugated metal sheets or just plain sheets.

11 Likes

Nice clean work,
J

1 Like

Excellent pipe fitting.

1 Like

I have tried making the corrugated roof, but it looks kinda off. I will try to do the plain metal sheet roof as seen in the picture. If I get to it tomorow I will upload some progress. Lately I have not had a lot of time to work on this project. I started working 12 hour shifts at a local gas station so I do not have as much time to work on this as I would like to.

3 Likes

this is just an ilustration of roughly how it should look:

The metal sheets will be pressing tightly against each other. The gaps are there because the sheets are not glued. I will add some details like bolts and these ‘strips’.

3 Likes

Aren’t the plates a bit on the large side?

1 Like

And I think that the width should be made much smaller.

These are the sizes at the moment. I think they were the same before.

1 Like

Sizes in milimetre I suppose?

Yes of course.

Not sure wher TS comes from, but better safe than sorry by indicating the values :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes you are right.
I think that in these photographs of Stalingrad there are just these same sheets of tin.

3 Likes