Stalingrad factory diorama 1:35

Oh I see, don’t know what I was thinking when building it :sweat_smile:
Thanks!

How long/tall should they be? Could they go all the way in one piece like (picture 1) or they should be made from smaller ‘tiles’ ?

Me experimenting:

6 Likes

The maximum length for sheets is 9 meters. But there is also a cross connection.
It seems to me that different lengths of sheets would look better from an artistic point of view.

The outer edge is even, and the inner ones are at different levels. And holes! From shells, fragments, bombs, etc.
But it is entirely up to you - you are the author.

1 Like

Thank you so much!
What do you think?

12 Likes

Yes, wonderful! Completely different impression.
Bend a little in different directions, make uneven edges in some places. And holes.

2 Likes

@gloch1 The roofing looks good! This is coming along nicely.

Happy Modeling,
Zon

1 Like

I have run out of the tin foil. I will try to look in my local hobby/hardware store for some copper foil. Tried to do some damage to the roof and to the concrete slab. There is the rebar wire, but in this light it is not as visible. The roof, damage and the rebar wire is just a prototype:

9 Likes

I kinda don’t know what to do now. I do not have the metal sheets for the roof, the plastic profiles for the windows and now I definetly do not have the mental strength to paint the figures or the tank. Maybe I could start shaping the ground? But then again I should have the building done so I can blend it together. I don’t have the right mental mindset right now. I feel stuck and like I am not getting anywhere.

Edit: Does anyone have experience with working with aluminium sheets? Is it workable? I imagine it is not as soft as the tin sheet I have been using, but it still could be used.

1 Like

I think aluminum sheet can also be used. Theoretically it should work. But most likely you will have to use only one type of metal.
On the other hand, your condition is a great thing. You are in annoyance and you need to create a destroyed house. Imagine that you yourself are destroying it. There are several links to help you. This is not exactly what you need, but it will shape the general mood.

https://ун.укр/v-odesse-v-dome-gogolya-obvalilas-krysha-i-razrushila-perekrytiya-foto/
Никольские ряды. идёт демонтаж крыши - Никаких тайн, интриг и скабрезных подробностей. — LiveJournal?

2 Likes

I’m not sure what grade of “tin” foil you’re using for the damaged sections, but I’d recommend the (semi-) disposable aluminium baking-tray grade (for cooking pies etc) for warped and more severely damaged areas – I think that’s what Yuri suggested too. Strips cut from the big size trays will hold their shape well & easy to punch holes in. And cheap.

Maybe it’s a good time to do something that doesn’t require much thinking, like painting the brickwork? I didn’t keep count of how many hours this station-house took…

…I just got into a trance to do each section over maybe a week or so, keeping the 4 or 5 mixed shades of brick in air-tight containers. Your factory probably only needs one overall shade and 1 or 2 alternates, it’ll bring the whole project to life & hopefully regenerate your mojo in the process :tumbler_glass:

(Edit - I should explain that I intentionally exaggerated the different shades, because from any (scale) distance away, photos tend to make surfaces monochromatic and…boring?)

7 Likes

Very cool stuff here.
J

1 Like

Awesome progress so far, looking really good. The panels look great, spot on actually.

I agree with Tim and Yuri, using the heavy foil disposable pans. You can get a lot of mileage out of one pan.

Great links, Yuir, got em bookmarked.

Fine job on that dio, Tim.

This is all coming together quite nicely.

1 Like

Your roof looks great! Nice job on the standing seams.

Happy Modeling,
zon

1 Like

Finally I got the courage to start with the painting
Don’t get me wrong I am still only in the preparation faze :sweat_smile:
I will go to my local hobby shop to buy some tamiya acrylic with a thinner. Do I buy only the panzer grey with a lighter shade of it? Sorry for the stupid questions :sweat_smile:

A note: I am going to try to use an airbrush.

Good luck! Learning something new is always interesting.

One more quick stupid question.
Are these things necessary ?
61018RUxJIL.AC_SY355
If I understand this correctly this is just a bottle I empty the airbrush to when I am cleaning it. Can’t I just empty it on piece of paper towel? Or am I missing something?

1 Like

I imagine some people use them. I just saved some money and I use a 1/2 ltr glass bottle with screw cap to empty all my airbrush waste in. works fine for me.

2 Likes

When I started using an airbrush, I bought such a thing. Never used for its intended purpose. The smell still remains. Now, until I have completely restored the workplace, I use it as a stand for an airbrush.

4 Likes

Debatable if necessary but helpful. I use a large yogurt container. Depending on space size, they can prevent paint and cleaner droplets from falling where you don’t want them and impacting your project in a negative way.

1 Like

Do not waste your money, monsieur…
I had one once. It sat unused for several years and I wound up reselling it on eBay. Went back to my old method of spraying into a rag and emptying the paint cup into a dedicated trash bucket — plastic-lined with a used-up spray booth filter at the bottom. HTH. :grin:

5 Likes