Starting a British style halftrack in Normandy (International Harvester)

I had thought about building a IH M5 used by police in Northern Ireland but decided life was too short.

2 Likes

I hope so! It’s not really a huge difference really.
They could stretch the new tooling into about 3 different variations as well.

I am beginning to agree.
J

1 Like

Sounds like it’s time to follow the advice I gave you in my earlier post, except with maybe two or three shots of your favorite libation!
Regards, Bob

yes, good advice !
J

Bit by bit steppa by steppa…

11 Likes

Steady and slow is the best way … as the image above shows … nicely done

Thanks John !
J

Great job Jerry! Keep on trucking……or halftracking as it were lol!

Thanks, will do !
J

Looking like what it’s supposed to be, good job so far.
Regards,Bob

Thanks Shermy !
J

Adding the canvas tilt section by section. Still needs trimming ,etc.

Building up the cargo to place inside before I make the back section of canvas covering.

Slow and steady wins the race,
J

13 Likes

Brilliant !!

1 Like

Looking good!!

1 Like

Unfortunately, the mystery isn’t solved.

International Harvester M5 half tracks are NOT any longer, and they do not have extended chassis. In fact, they are technically shorter in length.

I’m not sure why that part is the way it is, but I suspect it may also be part of the reason the body is sitting so high in the back.

1 Like

Now after studying the pictures I can see that this printed kit is an M14 anti aircraft halftrack body, as can be seen by the fold down armor along the top. Much like the M16 this allowed the guns to rotate without hitting the sides once folded down.

While both M5 and M9 International Harvester half tracks weren’t any longer than their White/Autocar/Diamond T counterparts, the IH M14 was longer, so that explains it.

ahhhh OK then. This is now way too far along to work out those problems. I am gonna hafta be satisfied with what is prolly my most inaccurate vehicle model ever ! Hahahaha and most of it is my fault. I did not end up using that chassis part anyway. So the chassis is the same length as when I began.
Ahhh well, it was just supposed to be a mule track bringing supplies to the front line troops. My story will be they pressed this one into service getting it from the not-so-much needed AAA guys.
Thanks for finding out that info though.
J

2 Likes

Jerry, your story is accurate as far as pressing the M14 into other uses.

Most/many/all? M14’s had their guns removed by the British and were used as troop carriers (I’m guessing that’s why yours has benches) and many others were used for ambulances as well.

I wasn’t trying to get you to correct anything at this point, just thought the information would be useful to anyone perusing this thread now or in the future. Carry on sir.

2 Likes

Thanks good to know and I was hoping I was kinda in the zone. Cool. I can live with that.
Yes, mine does have benches. Quite well done interior really and a shame it won’t be seen.
J