Takom 1/16th. Tiger I Build

Some BIG thanks going out here !
Donald, my instructions are getting really marked up with all the tips that you are sharing with us. THANKS !!
Tank1812 & SSGToms that is excellent advice about tracks. My shelves of shame is full of tanks that just need tracks. You spend half a day just clipping & cleaning track parts, not even gluing, and it doesn’t seem like you accomplished anything ! So, do you eat that Elephant with BBQ sauce or just a little salt & pepper? :grinning:

2 Likes

The same thing, probably most days raw. Tue/Thur salt and pepper. Sunday BBQ sauce. Now depending on which sauces you have, some can be an everyday type vs special occasions fine China type.

elephant is the fruit of the Sahara. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey’s uh, elephant-kabobs, elephant creole, elephant gumbo

3 Likes

…and Elephant pizza!

:pizza:

2 Likes

But they’r such cute little critters

1 Like

I have a little more done.

Painting the base color on the Turret is next.
Regards
Donald

7 Likes

I have the Base Color applied

Next the Camo.
Donald

9 Likes

Very nice !!

1 Like

The basic Camo. is finished.

Next to add the exhaust & their shrouds / covers.
Regards
Donald
I tried to follow the pattern on #4 example but the patterns on the top and sides don’t match up as far as I can see.
Except for the base coat this is all free hand brushed with 2 coats.

8 Likes

Installed the Exhausts .

Installed the Covers.

Camo. on the Covers

View from above

Now a problem , which one to use ?

The instructions call for the short one, but I have seen Pics. of tigers with the Handle crank.
Regards
Donald

4 Likes

I really don’t think that you have! For three reasons;
1 - I’ve seen thousands of Tiger photos from WW2 but I don’t recall seeing the full crank handle.
2 - The Tiger had such a handle but it broke into 2 pieces for storage. This IS storage.
3 - If you let the handle dangle down below the bottom of the wall like that, and if you drove into foliage, you’d lose it.

Seriously, can you find even one of those photos? I’m keen to learn more about the Tiger.

David

Hey David I found these Pics. in the Squadron Tiger I in action book.
It shure looks like the starter crank handle , kind of stupid place to store it I think.
First is both pages of #131 from Abteilung504 captured by the British.

Two more close ups.

What do you think ?
Regards.
Donald

3 Likes

The large Tow Cables are installed, I used the kit cables.
The fit into the ends are a little loose so I used Super Glue Jell.

I made the whole cable 49.5cm. long 50 probably would have been better.

Finished for today.
Regards
Donald

6 Likes

Today I have the smaller Track install cable , It should be total length of 920mm. long with the end parts installed.
You will have to drill out the ends as the kit cable doesn’t fit.
Too short a length and it doesn’t fit , too long and you get a sloppy fit.

Now to touch up the painting.
Regards
Donald

7 Likes

I agree, it’s a stupid way to store it like that.
Ken

There is a video wich shows how the tiger gets started by hand, he stands in a museum in england, I think. I’m not shure, but it seems ro happen at the place on your pictures

Well it’s finished.
Here are the final Pics.

Lets see What to do next , oh well I’ll think of something
Regards
Donald

9 Likes

Beaitiful work,thanks for the guided tour

1 Like

I glad you like it.
Regards
Donald

1 Like

Yep, that is the cover for the ventilator!
Ken

You have given my curiosity a run. While I have quite a few pics of art done by artist showing them with it and models done with them, I feel you might be right with this. I wonder what made them want to add it? I see no proof other than art. :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: