Takom 1/16th. Tiger I Build

It’s not logical to have the Turret Ventilator blocked off unless you were fording a deep body of water.
I think people see items on Museum displays and assume that’s how it always is.
Regards
Donald

1 Like

Hi Donald, your work is beyond amazing! Two questions, I don’t suppose you have ever built the Academy 1:35 Achilles Tank Destroyer? If you have, I’d love to get a link to any log you did of that! On a similar vein, if you have ever done any WW1 aircraft (my passion) I’d love to know where I could see some of your work.
Irrespective, I’ll simply keep checking your posts and enjoying learning how to improve!
Cheers,
Ian

That was really good, as always. I hope you find a good model for your next build👍

1 Like

I’m sorry to disapoint you , but No.
Asfor the Aircraft , I never was into WW1 Aircraft too much fiddling with the rigging and all that.
Regards
Donald

I was thinking about a Stug III that I have with Zimmerit , Wading Equipment and a Replacement Gun mantle that has a canvas cover from SOLE.
I don’t know , I have around 4,000 kits in my stash and they are all calling to me.
I have the Ontos ordered from Andy but that’s not expected until some time in May.
Regards
Donald

2 Likes

StuG 3 is a good idea. 4000, that’s a lot, but I’m sure you will find the right one

Re: those photos of a Tiger with the full crank handle on the back.

The photos all show Tiger “131” of the Tank Museum, and in the photos the tank is already captured by the British who have been doing work on it.

They apparently didn’t know that you’re supposed to remove the angled part of the handle before storing it there. Or they didn’t care.

I still have not seen any Tiger in German service with the full handle on the back.

David

I haven’t either , still if you don’t know som may think with the picture that is how it should be.
You can’t always trust how things are in museums.
Like I said before it’s a stupid place to store it.
Regards
Donald

Did you ever build a plane? Maybe a 1/32 Ju 87 from Trumpeter, great models and I’m sure, you make it very well. Could you imagine that?

I used to build everything , Armor modelers complaine that 1/16th take up too much space.
Try a 1/32nd. scale F14 Tomcat with wings extended.
I lost interest in aircraft and sold all the kits that I had , well most anyway.
Regards
Donald

6 Likes

I really liked the build. You did a great job. You also made me feel better by admitting your mistakes!

On the paint job, did you free hand it or airbrush it.

I’ve always wondered if, out in the field, if they (Maintenance and support services) did camouflage updates with a brush instead of a sprayer.

2 Likes

From what I have read the tanks were issued in the standard dark yellow.
The tank crew then did the Camo. by mixing the supplied pigment with what ever solvent they had such as gas , Mineral Spirits Etc.
Then either Brushed , Sprayed or whatever.
My builds I usualy spray the base coat then brush the camo.
Escuse if my answers seem funny , I just got out of hospital I fell and injured my head 14 staples to close it up.
Donald

3 Likes

Dang Donald, glad you’re ok (mostly). Get well soon.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Donald. Stop sniffing so much glue! Get better soon.

4 Likes

Donald take care of yourself, hope you have a quick recovery.

2 Likes

Bad to hear that. I hope you get well soon👍

1 Like

I’m still trying to build a little slower but still trying.
Thanks Guys
Regards
Donald

4 Likes

Ouch!

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

I wish you a speedy recovery

2 Likes

Donald, sorry to hear about your fall. 14 staples ! OUCH! Heal up soon !
Once again, Thanks for all of your hard work and taking the time out to post such excellent detailed images and answering all of our questions. I know that my instructions are now full of notes and tips. And I hope my Kitty turns out as good as yours!
THANKS!!!

3 Likes

Hello Donald
How are you? I hope you are well and your injuries have healed. Wish you all the best✌

1 Like