Takom M48 series coming

there are two located on a Navy site in Nevada. One is pretty much complete and the other is much less
gary

2 Likes

Like all of you above, I am happy for these upcoming releases.
However, I am hoping for the best b/c I am seeing some worrisome features on the CAD images - yes, I am nitpicking obviously:
For 48A5

- circled the concerning parts.

Urdan cupola looks slightly oversized and not shaped correctly at the bottom.
Reference photos:

- the diameter should be slightly smaller.

Should be slightly rounder at the bottom.

The mantlet cover seems too smooth - maybe it’s just the image, and the kit may have all the grooves, folds, etc. like this DEF resin replacement. (Hoping)

For 48A3,

Again, the mantlet cover seems too smooth, and no cover for the commander’s cupola?

Here’s DEF model’s AM parts to show the deficiency:

1 Like

I’ll wait until we see these in plastic before passing judgement based on a few drawings.

4 Likes

The searchlight looks to be exactly the same in the M60A1 kit. So if you want an idea about it, look there. Also the M60A1 kit had a textured mantlet cover, so I personally think this is just the way the model was photographed or rendered.

Damon.

Yes, I am expecting a textured, grooved mantlet cover based on Takom’s past capability but we shall see…
I know I will buy these kits - certainly not going to pass them. Just pointing out some things that may or may not disappoint later.

1 Like

Urdan cupola and mantlet from their CM-11 kit for comparison:

2 Likes

Nice, Nikos. The mantlet cover grooves look a bit too artificial but not bad. In your opinion, is the Urdan cupola an accurate replica in CM-11 kit?
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I also used their CM-11 turret and cupola on my M48A5 a while ago. The Urdan cupola looked right to me.

https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/183323.aspx

1 Like

Compared to the DEF Urdan they are pretty much identical

In case anyone want to measure or compare

10520552_10208386829973564_5040263442976735245_n
12376239_10208386830373574_1716615489811902139_n
12391007_10208386830093567_3866869572956435925_n

Israelicupola

2 Likes

I forgot that Takom does a CM-11. That kit should also serve as a preview for how the turret will come out in the M48 kits.

Damon.

2 Likes

This is a Chrysler cupola, not Urdan

1 Like

Many of you may have seen this already but here are Takom’s released box arts for the upcoming M48 series kits:

4 Likes

Steel Tigers! Sister battalion from my division once upon a time. Nice! That kit just moved up a couple notches on my want list.

2 Likes

Which of these new M48’s could be made up into I think the tank was called the Grim Reaper & had like 13 guns mounted on it?

Cheers
Mike

From the Vault: The Grim Reaper – Tank and AFV News indicates M48A3 in 1969 during the Vietnam War.

1 Like

Thanks James!! :+1:

The vast majority of M48s in Vietnam were the A3 version. Comparatively few A2s served in Vietnam, with the units that took A2s to Vietnam usually getting those swapped out for A3s at some point later on.

2 Likes

1st Infantry Div. was using some A2’s as late as 1969 when they went home. Not sure about the 3/4 CAV, but have seen photos of a few. The 69th might have had a few, but also maybe not. They were all A3’s up north. I’d imagine they stayed close to the rear, as getting gas out there might have been a huge problem
gary

1 Like

I’d love to see some photos of 3/4 Cav A2s, if you could link them here. I’ve been searching far and wide for photos of A2s in Vietnam. So far I’ve only come across photos of A2s from 5th ID, 1/77 Armor and 4/12 Cav.

1 Like

as I recall there maybe some photos in Birdwell’s book. For years I was a close friend with the Sgt. Major of the 3/4 CAV, but he since moved to Texas. I’ll have to hunt up Birdwell’s book, as they maybe in there.

The 1/4 CAV had some (as per brother inlaw). Now I kinda wonder about the 17th CAV, as they were in country forever and a day. They were in my A.O. for almost a year before I got there, and used a lot of M48’s. The 1st CAV took over from the 17th, and they used M48a3’s till they were forced to turn them in for Sheridans. Next time my brother inlaw calls me I’ll run it by him. He spent six months out on Thunder Road, and he’d probably know who had them down south. I was unaware of any gas powered 48’s till Larry told me
gary

1 Like