This is my third Takom M60A1. The first was the USMC M60A1 ERA.
The Second one I did in MASSTER
I was planning on doing this one in 1970s MERDC but was inspired by Wade’s post here Old School Shadow Painting & Finishing - Primer
All three kits are essentially the same but for one item, the tracks. In the USMC kit and the MASSTER the kit tracks were actually made of rubber or at least something that was very close. They did not hold paint well although all that really needed to be painter were the end connectors. The bare rubber pads held pigments very nicely. In this kit the tracks were some type of vinyl similar to the newer Tamiya glueable tracks although these tracks are held together by a metal pin. I use Tamiya paints thinned with their lacquer thinner and the tracks hold paint very well, no flaking or peeling as so often is the case with rubberband type tracks.
I used a custom mix of green for the base color which was fairly dark, but when I painted the upper hull and turret I mistakenly used a lighter shade. What to do. What to do. I considered repainting it but decided to try to salvage what I had. Using the dark green mix that I had intended to use I applied several filter coats which darkened the overall look.
Next up ws the clear gloss, decals, and dark oil wash which I was counting on do darken the color even more. It did but I still wasn’t entirely happy. As a last resort I made up a filter of Tamiya smoke and applied it in several layers. The result is the color you see below.
As you see it now it’s about 90% finished. It still needs to be sprayed with a matt finish and then some dusting etc. Photos aren’t great, taken with SWIMBO’s phone.