Tamiya 1/20 Scale Lotus 1979 Type 79 F1 car

Russelle,
Ain’t that the truth. I was just about to give up as i tried everything as I was convinced that my modem was starting to go. But it really didn’t make much sense that I could get it to connect to my ISP but it would die every so often. Glad i just called cable for service as I would have wasted all that time and money on a new router.

I’m so use to being online all day, every day, that when I’m not able to, it’s like my world is coming apart.

joel

1 Like

Looks amazing Joel. Love that combo of dark green and gold.

I thought that applied to teenagers only :grin:

Russelle,
but retirees like me have interests and hobbies that have the web intertwined so one without the other is a real downer.

joel

1 Like

I agree Joel: Couldn’t live without the internet now-especially under the circumstances we’re in down here in Australia :anguished:

Russelle,
I hear ya. Been through a semi lock down up here as well. Now we’re wearing masks out in public.
joel

Very good turnaround on this one Joel!!! Once again proving that it’s not in the mistake…it’s all in the recovery. Nice work brother!!

Joseph,
Always glad to hear from you on one of my builds. As usual each build seems to take on it’s own personality and quirks which I usually screw up at least once in the build.

Joel

Looking great Joel Nice to see you chose Mario for this, wearing #1.

cheers
Michael

Michael,
Thanks for your thumbs up. It’s always greatly appreciated. Just had to be Mario Andretti. Would have been that much better if he repeated his World Championship in the Type 79, but the car was at best a mid packer.

joel

Ken,
Thanks for your thumbs up on my build, it’s always greatly appreciated.

Just finished the Ford Cosworth engine over the weekend, and will be posting a update with a few pics.

joel

1 Like

I’ll be looking forward to those engine pictures.

I finally managed to finish the basic engine. Modeling time at the bench these last few weeks hasn’t been much if any at all for days at a time. Eventually, I found enough time to complete the basic engine assembly.

Tamiya did their usual excellent job of molding the Ford Cosworth DFV 3 liter V8 engine. It’s the same basic engine that they’ve used in several of their other 1/20 F1 kits that used this engine.

All the various parts were primed in my custom Tamiya Gray/White Primer mix, when dry I air brushed the various parts with Alcad Matt Aluminum. The cast Aluminum supports for the fuel injection intakes and trumpets were air brushed with Alcad Dark Aluminum, but just doesn’t show up as a darker shade then the block in the pictures compared to up close and personal.

The next day I gave the entire engine a careful wash with Tamiya Black panel line wash, when dry I wiped off the excess so that there was a visible variation in the tone of the Aluminum block.
The two twin cam covers were air brushed Matt Black, then I picked out all the nuts and bolts with silver applied with a toothpick. I lost count of how many times I had to clean off a miss and start over again. Good thing I used Ammo by Mig Acrylic paint.

No matter how many times I tried to paint the Ford name on the covers, I just couldn’t see it well enough even with a #5 Optivisor, so after a good 6 attempts I just gave up. I’ve got several pictures with the White Ford raised lettering being just about worn off, but that’s on a race engine, not a display engine. I’m taking a modeler’s mulligan on this one.

The kit comes with just enough black ignition wiring to get the job done, but no clear fuel lines. The thinnest clear solid tubing I had was an old MFH pack I bought several years ago. It’s super soft so as not to put up a fight for a change trying to feed each line into position and stay there.

What I totally forgot about was the two trays that had the intake Trumpets molded into them. The trays are where the mesh intake covers attach to through the engine cover. I had put them is a storage bin so that I wouldn’t loose them, but then I totally forgot about them till after I finished the engine sub-assembly. Good thing I’ve still got the gearbox and rear suspension to build and paint.

Here’s a few pictures of where the engine build is presently at.

joel

7 Likes

Looks real good Joel - just got the Haynes Manual
( really not a manual but a history with a bit of tech in it ) for the Lotus 49 - good stuff in there regarding the DFV.

Yep, excellent job Joel.

Richard,
The truth be known, I rarely buy any manuals for my builds as being in 1/20 & 1/24 scale, I really don’t do much detailing as i really can’t see these scales all that well.

I just bought the Tamiya 1/12 scale Brabham BT44B F1 Martini car for a bubby build this winter with my brother as another way to spend more time with him both in person and online. He’s my twin and has been battling Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Stage 4 as well as Bone Marrow Cancer also stage 4. As of now he’s Bone Marrow Cancer free and the Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma is in complete remission. The goal is 10 more quality years. So I’ll be ordering a book on the car from Spot Models which is geared towards detailing.

joel

Ken,
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my build to date, and of course thanks for your thumbs up.

joel

Michael,
So glad that you like my progress to date, but I’ve still got a long way to go.

joel

I really like detailed out engines and this one looks GREAT!!! Good job my brutha!!!

Gorgeous engine. Nice and tight wiring.

Just read up a little on the Ford/Cosworth DFV .
Apparently Colin Chapman had a hand in putting Ford together with Keith Duckworth and Mike
Costin who was Duckworth’s business partner.
Ford put up the money - something on the order of 100, 000 . Duckworth did all the work and I don’t know what Costin did . Duckworth had never designed a complete engine before. They first built an inline four cylinder- essentially 1 bank of the V 8
to test the theory and the rest, as they say , is history. The winningest , most produced and longest lived engine in F1 history plus it powered cars in other venues as well . All from a guy who had never designed a complete engine before.
To my mind it should have been called the Duckworth DFV.