Tamiya 1/24 scale Porsche 911 GT1

Great detailing Joel.

When I have very small parts, either for assembly of cleaning, I sometimes bring them to work and work, on the parts, under my microscope. If you can get your hands on an old microscope, not much magnification is needed, it can make things a lot easier.

D,
Much appreciated for those most kind words and the big thumbs up. There’s just something about finally seeing your build sitting on it’s 4 wheels and that they all are touching the pavement at the same time that just gets my juices really flowing to cross the finish line. So naturally this week is nearly booked with all house issues, choirs, and a few major construction jobs that should really bite into my modeling time.

joel

Jesper,
I don’t have a microscope, but you’ve got me thinking about maybe a home made little work station with a very strong magnifying glass. My Optivisior is only a 5x so there’s definitely room to explore your idea.

joel

Just great work Joel. Bad eyes or not it always seems to come looking pretty.

cheers
Michael

Much appreciated Michael. Yeah, the extra effort to see what the heck in trying to do somehow continues to pay off. Right now I’m trying to find time this week to finish my latest labor of love.

joel

Been a bit since I’ve been in here on any consistent basis but it sure is nice to get all caught up on this build. This is buttoning up VERY nicely Joel!!!

In my wildest modelling dreams, I have acollection of Porsches :slight_smile:
I will start with this:

Seems easy enough to put together but requires a lot of putty, I think

Also, I would like to make it partly transparent and partly aluminium, the question is: which parts?

1 Like

Joseph,
Always great to have you posting on the site.

Thanks so much for stopping by and liking my efforts to date. The Porsche GT1 is just about at the finish line as of today.

joel

Drabslab,
having you stop by from your usual haunt: Aeroscale, is a very pleasant surprise for sure.

I’ve seen just one of those engines built, and it does “run” via electricity. I’m pretty sure that the builder was our KenP. Painting it due to it’s size is a real challenge for sure. Also Ken did have one bank from the head to the bottom of the block left in clear plastic, but that means that every piece on the inside of that half plus the full crank, cam, gears, etc. needs to be painted in some Aluminum color. Going to be a pretty expensive paint job. But I can assure you that with your skills the end result will be one of the center pieces of your model display.

joel

You are too kind.

I have always had a weak spot for Porsche (nobody is perfect :slight_smile: ) and have been dreaming about a 1:1 scale as well. Guess what: too expensive.

This big engine is a gift from a friend. It is big indeed, and it seems like it has no seams, only 1-2 mm wide gaps.

Will require lots of putty, and a lot of paint :wink:

At the moment I am searchign for refeence pictures of this engine

drabslab,
Just like you, I’ve always had the same soft spot for Porsches, but like the vast majority of us car guys, the price was the killer for me from the time I 1st feasted my eyes on a 356C . This my friend was my 1st true love: circa 1963ish, not my '67MGB which took it’s place in my heart.

When you get to the painting stage, you just might want to go with rattle cans as our air brushes with their little 7ml cups will go through paint at an alarming rate.

joel

Ken,
I posted your name/build for Drabslab but couldn’t find the link. Could you please post it for him. As I told him, it contains a wealth of info that he’s looking for.

joel

My god, an MG, waw, consider me jealous :wink:

Painting may indeed become a "special subject on this one

Ken,
Thanks for posting the link for drabslab, so that he can read the whole build thread now. No need to post the entire thread here as it already has a build blog of it’s own in the car forum.

joel

drabslab,
My college buddies once I transferred back home for what I termed as the good life, great food, my own room, and Mom still did my wash were all sports car junkies as well. 2 MGA’s, 4 MGB’s, 2 TR4A’s, which became 3 when my brother totaled his B and moved to a Triumph.

joel

As with all builds, they have a start from the Green flag, and most do cross the finish line with hopefully the checked flag flying. And so my Porsche 911 GT1 crossed the finish line late last night.

Since my last update all the various misc parts like lights, lenses, rear bumper, antenna, windshield wipers, mirrors, door handles, the rubber window trim either inside or outside, and the windshield sun shade decal that had its issues due to the fact that it goes right over the start of the air induction intake. Took two light applications of Solvaset to snug down into all the seams.

The front body shell needed a lot of tender loving care and coaxing to settle down on to the chassis, as all the various layers of paint just added to a way to snug of a fit. Finally, it did settle in. I’m still working on both body shells for a better fit. Both are just dry fitted in the pictures as the engine compartment clip needs to be removable. You’ll notice on the two rear tires all those strange sanding marks as I tried to completely remove the center molding seam. Never quite seen anything like that before, so I stopped and left it as is as once the rear clip is on, you can’t see the tops of the tires

Here’s a dozen pictures of the finished Porsche as she now sits on the base of her own display case.

And thanks to all of you that have followed the build, and posted a comment, I can assure you that it’s greatly appreciated.

joel

11 Likes

Once again, Joel, you’ve excelled in bringing us a lovely representation of your chosen subject :blush:

I especially like the details you’ve given the engine and cockpit compartments. :+1:

Personally, I like how the tires look: like they’ve wrinkled from doing a celebratory burn out :wink:

Thanks for sharing all the ups and downs-looking forward to seeing what next crosses your workbench :cowboy_hat_face:

Beautiful build Joel, great detailing and love that colour scheme.
You have set a very high bar for me to try and reach when I get around to my build.

Russelle,
Thanks my friend for those most kind words. So glad that you appreciated the time I spent in and around the engine compartment. Next up will be the old Monogram 1/24 scale 1983 IMSA Ford Mustang GTP car for the new GB that just started. I’m also planning on doing a separate build blog as it’s hard to follow for those not in the GB.

joel

1 Like

Luciano,
So glad that you liked my efforts and how the Porsche 911 GT1 car turned out. Agreed, the Pennzoil colors and markings are certainly a game changer.

Looking forward to your build. With your skills it should be a winner for sure.

joel