Tamiya Challenger 1 WIP

Sorry, the pic with the description was missed off. Just so you know which cable is for the spotlight and which for the solenoid:

1 Like

Got it! Excellent pics guys, many thanks!

1 Like

Every time I look at pics I see something else to do.

5 Likes

Stop looking then!
Ken

1 Like

Looking good :+1::+1:

@Ken: Yeah, I should stop looking, but I still want to do the inboard tops of the stowage bin fasteners and footman loops, easy enough…
Thanks Johnny, your contributions have been extremely helpful.

1 Like

Stunning level of details.
Surely will be using some of your pictures as inspiration for my build :innocent:

1 Like

Is the glacis armour plate specific to the vehicle you are building?

If it is, then that’s not a problem.

However, if you’ve just used the part from the kit, then you might want to check your references to make sure it is correct for your vehicle. The ‘cut-outs’ on the lower corners of the plate were added to allow the plate to be retained when a dozer blade was fitted, so they are generally on tanks that were intended to carry the blade rather than the nose armour package - not unknown to see it ftted with the nose armour but relatively unusual.

I’m talking about the big white plate in the middle of the photo I posted earlier in this thread.

2 Likes

Russel, looking at my images I think John @JohnTapsell is right. If you are doing A Sqn 10 then it should have the full width spaced plate across the front with no cutouts and the track tools will be on the turret roof or some may be in the bins. I’m trying find which ASqn C/S had the dozer blade but no luck at the mo… It definitely wasn’t 10 though.

I see the difference. My pics of 10 appear to show the full-width plate. If any of you have MMI from April 2020, it’s on pg 58. It’s the issue that has the Editor’s build of the Tamiya kit, along with the Armor in Profile feature on the Chally 1.

1 Like

Hi Russel, thanks for the message reply.

Now I know we are talking about the same wagon I have been referencing when I’ve searching online.

Ref your image from above.

The sand armour plate thats under the track tools ( the full width white scratch built plate on John Tapsells kit) should go all the way across with no cut outs on the corners - directly below and under the TA spanner and the elbow bend on the track L bar… The cut out areas were (as John Tapsell said) for part of the dozer attachment. 10 definitely did not have those cut out areas. And if you are still going to do 10, then the track tools should be moved mate ok… (For the Kosovo wagon anyway)

1 Like

Coming along!

3 Likes

Job done and nice recovery :+1::+1:

1 Like

Back together…

4 Likes

2 Likes

Good job Russel :+1:

1 Like

Test load of the front turret basket before I do the cover. I thought I’d do a basic paint job on the items, then fit the cover. There won’t be much of it visible after the cover’s on. I’ll use wine foil, same as I used for the two rear bins.

Rear bin covers nearly done, cable on the reel, water cans test fitted.

I think I’m running out of stuff to do. Rear call sign board is made, waiting with the few other bits to mount after painting. Anyone see something I’ve missed and could do without taking too much apart if it’s a re-do? Or add?

6 Likes

Hi Russel, looking really good and you have done some great fixes and mid build adjustments as needed. I personally would ditch the packs and stowage out the front turret basket…that was usually the cam net basket, personal kit would normally go in the rear turret stowage bin as it was a 95% water free area as it was sealed.
You could also do a retaining plate/strip for the 2 rear Jerry can holders on the hull. They are dead centre from the raised part on the holder straight across onto the hull rear plate. I will try and dig out an image tomorrow unless you can find one. Other than that… Cracking job

Schweet! Was the cam net in a bag or loose? Gonna do the rear can retainers soon.

1 Like

Units did their cam nets in different ways. We had our cam net rolled up inside the full tank sheet inside the basket. Ideology being you unfold the tank sheet so it completely covers the upper surfaces preventing any snagging of the cam net which we then unrolled over the tank sheet and then used the cam system spreaders and poles to hoist it away from the vehicle. That all goes out the window on a bug out when the cam net gets ripped down and just chucked in the basket lol

1 Like