Tamiya Panzer II F/G 1:35

Sorry, I just realized it was the wrong thread :smile:

In case mods can “fix” this mess, this is the correct one:

1 Like

Thanks for the opportunity to learn a new trick, never moved individual posts before.
Whole topics to another forum or subforum yes but never individual posts to another topic

1 Like

Thanks for your in-depth analysis, even if that was a hit on my already low self esteem :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Jokes aside, I fixed most of the stuff you showed me.
On your second picture, that was a small piece of hair!

Unfortunately, I am forced to use prime cans on my balcony as it’s the only place available, so there will always be some dust and grime.
Frankly I’d rather stop using cans, I find it wasteful, the control is very poor and there are way too many potential “surprises” like this one that happened.

I do have a bottle of Vallejo polymer surface primer, I bought it in the very early days of my modeling venture, back when I was 100% clueless.
I suppose it should spray fine with an airbrush, right?

I have absolutely ZERO experience of Vallejo products so I can’t answer that question.
I agree 100% with what you said about spray cans.

I use Humbrol enamels so the only time I prime is when the topcoat has notoriously bad coverage (red, yellow and white)

Yes, you can use an airbrush.

Do you think it needs another coat or is it fine?
(EDIT: I swear I am going to sand and remove all that garbage I just noticed by magnifying the image)

1 Like

Looks good to me.

Gave it a second coat, it didn’t get much darker, I guess it’s fine.

So, do you guys think that dark brown is a good pinwash color for such base?

Yep dark brown would work!
Your paintwork looks good, although could I suggest maybe a little post shading with the airbrush?

I am too scared to make a mess…I will just apply some sand pigment after the pinwash and the matte varnish.

I also think I must have done something very wrong with my rebreather mask because after the work I felt light headed and almost threw up.
Guess I’ll have to change filters and wear it tighter.
I hope that the vallejo air paint and thinner I breathed won’t give me any long term damage.

Unless you have some other issues and you don’t have to discuss them here, Vallejo paint and thinner should not have been an issue. Not saying it is “clean” or “healthy” but Vallejo is on the mild side of most hobby paints.

Could you smell paint while using it? If so something is up. If not something else went on. If I wear mine too tight I get a headache, so I would play around with it for comfort

Can you smell Vallejo paint? I never detected an odor with it but I also don’t have a great nose for smells. I can smell Tamiya pints. The only two paints I use these days.

I could not smell it, but at the end of the session I did noticed that the mask wasn’t 100% sealed as there was a very faint jet air escaping from it while I was exhaling. Also, I’ve been extremely lax with the filter replacement. I thought that not smelling it was enough.
I think I can detect the vallejo paint’s smell, it’s almost pleasant. What really makes my nostrils flare is the thinner, even if I used just very few drops as I am using the Air brand of paint.
It has a wierd alcohol-chemical smell, really pungent.

Right now I feel my nostrils are irritated. But that is quite common for me, I had to switch to limonene cement because the revell one really made my nose and eyes burn.

No, but I am sure the thinner would cause it so smell a bit when spraying. Vallejo is pretty benign though, real colors are very stinky, Tamiya isn’t so bad

1 Like

I have some Tamiya Dark Iron and I have to confess that there’s a part of my brain that wants me to drink it. I have no idea why.

1 Like

I also find Tamiya paint smells somewhat sweet. The real colors even more so but also chemically. Hardware store Lacquer thinner on the other hand smells like straight poison

1 Like

SAFETY FIRST:

• If you sport a beard, there’s a good chance the respirator is not sealing well. I check my mask like divers do before splashing into the water.

• If your room is not ventilated and is not circulating fresh air in, you’ll breathe airborne particulates in as soon as you unmask.

• If I forget to put on my respirator and/or turn the spray booth fan ON, I notice all odors immediately — acrylics included.

After awhile, good safety habits become second-nature.

A couple of thoughts.

1. You might be more sensitive than others to the fumes.
  2. I agree with Michael about facial hair. if you are sporting some, it prevents the mask from sealing. That is one of the primary reason the military requires a clean shaven face.
  3. You might think about upgrading your mask to one the automotive painters use.
  4. You said you normally paint outside on the balcony. You should have minimal issues due to being outside. See items 1, 2 and 3 above.

I did have a very unkempt beard, I’ll clean-shave next time.