Tank Destroyers 2 Campaign Active

Halftrack and 76 mm gun

I can join with a StuG IV

@TopSmith

starting 1st September 2021, ending 1st July 2022.

it’s in the first post of this topic,

hope this helps,

Klaus

While I favour the white star over the black cross, I do have an old Italeri JagdPanzer IV Lang calling out from the stash. Do I ignore it and reach for a Firefly or do I give in to the Dark Side?.. :thinking:

1 Like

I have decided to do Tamiya’s new Marder I Lorraine with PE, a barrel, and Friuls.

1 Like

firefly, would that be a British firefly Sherman TANK by any chance…?

Indeed it was an adapted tank, converted to the TD role by installing the famous 17pdr anti-tank gun that was the Allies’ only effective tank-killing gun in 1944. Same gun as fitted to the M10 to create the Achilles, and the Valentine to create the Archer, as well as the purpose-built A30 Challenger. There was a towed version too. And all of them were dedicated TD weapons, with great penetration but no effective HE rounds so not capable of the usual artillery support role of other tank guns. Fireflies were issued one per troop of normal gun tanks in Normandy to tangle with all those nasty Panthers and Tigers that were resistant to normal Shermans and Cromwells.

I don’t know about WoT (never played it) but I think we can safely say the Firefly, Archer, Achilles, and Challenger count as purpose-designed TDs. However, the Comet which uses a modified “77mm” version of the 17pdr was in fact a general gun tank by design and use so is not eligible IMHO. The German equivalent Tiger tank was also great at tank-busting but was designed and used primarily as an infantry-support vehicle so doesn’t count as a TD.

There’s an interesting story of the chap who single-handedly developed the concept with a spare tank and 17pdr gun. He had to fit it without a recoil mechanism (no time to develop one) to test whether the Sherman hull/turret could cope with the shock in order to convince the powers-that-be to divert resources to a much-needed AT weapon, and fired it by lanyard from a safe distance - the results were described as “lively”! I can just imagine 30 tons of tank dancing with each shot…

1 Like

many thanks for that interesting bit of history, I didn’t know that and I appreciate the effort you made to share your knowledge about this upgraded tank.

I’m afraid the firefly is just that, an upgraded tank. I understand that you have not played WoT but if you had, then you would know it falls into the medium tank category.

you could use one of your German kits which you mentioned you had in your stash.

kind regards,

Klaus

Since David wants to suck all the interesting entry ideas out the airlock I will join with a Dragon Ferdinand. :laughing:

(Just to clarify that was a joke, Im not trying to be offensive.)

2 Likes

Here is my entry.

Looking forward to this! I love the Ferdinand. Was gonna so my Elefant but didn’t want to deal with zimmerit!

1 Like

@Panzer_modeler

you do know I am still sitting here rocking back and forth stroking my shotgun don’t you.

:yum::rofl::sunglasses:

Hang on TS - you’re gonna build a wristwatch? :grin:

Ezra, By shotgun, he means…

2 Likes

Well, this just came in the mailbox yesterday

:slight_smile: I’m going to join up - but after I finish my other builds I think hehe

4 Likes

Looks like we’ll agree to disagree on the Firefly being a TD. But that’s OK - I have other less controversial options as we discussed! Looking forward to finally getting stuck into a campaign on the new site! (Started several, but then that pesky “real life” gets in the way…)

2 Likes

Haven’t 100% decided, but I’m thinking of doing the Kanonenjagdpanzer. Have to finish everything in the paint queue first, I’ve been letting that back up. I was all lined up for a ride in a Kanonen on Sunday at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum Armourfest, but the hydraulics sprung a leak and they had to sideline it… always next year.

The Revell kit is a fun build! It has some accuracy issues that can be fixed with a ton of money, but I just built it OOB and enjoyed it. I built both KaJaPa and Beob versions, and have the Raketen version in the stash…

2 Likes