"The End Is Near"

I’ve seen old cartoons of people carrying signs with similar messages, but I never seen one in real life. Was this a fashion decades ago? And was that from fear on nuclear war, or anything else?

Wasn’t there some kooks who did some kind of mystic calculations based on the Maya calendar a few years ago?

I had to check: It was way back in 2012 …
Time does fly …

The Swedish television showed some of them back in the 70’ies but I have never seen any in real life either.
Maybe the ‘The End IS Near’-crowd has migrated to social media?

It’s an interpretation from bible and every generation has them. However, not all people that read bible do this

from the internets:

2 Likes

I remember seeing a fellow, back in the 70’s who would parade around an intersection downtown with one of those The End Is Near signs. Oh man, did the jokes fly from that (we were teenagers, mind you). There was also some dude about twenty years ago, who preached himself hoarse about the end of the world. And I mean hoarse - I saw him again about a month after the first time and he could barley speak. But you had to admire his fortitude and stamina.

Regarding that:
If time flys like an arrow, how is it fruit flys like a banana?

And now, back to model kits…

2 Likes

Most people don’t read it. They let others do it for them.

3 Likes

a98443_end-world_7

6 Likes

Why bring the topic up here? One, because somebody here might have actually seen these people for real. Two, because I got the idea that nuclear weapons might have triggered such fears. The 1965 song “Eve Of Destruction” mentions how nuclear warfare would be inescapable if it happened.

This topic needs some music

3 Likes

That’s a really cool sign,
someone has a LOT of dark humour

1 Like

We had a saying… “When the missiles begin to fly, bend over and kiss yer a$$ goodbye!”
:rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket: :rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket:

2 Likes
3 Likes

From what I’ve seen and heard over the years, it doesn’t take much for some folks to go all apocalyptic. For example, a number of years ago, I was working on a Revell B-17F… It didn’t end well.
(thought I’d try to keep this thread in a modelling context :upside_down_face:)

1 Like

2 Likes

Just to throw my .00001 cent in the mix, (allowing for inflation)!
But in all honesty (well as much as I can muster at my age)
The only “end of time” the I can forsee is the near future, isme leaving my earthly body, due to my age and health, and the “calling of the Trumperts”
the original Grumpyoldmanxo here at Kitmaker/Armorama.

2 Likes

“Grumpy old men never die, they just fade away…”

Gen. D. MacArthur

2 Likes

It should be noted that Tom Lehrer abandoned writing and performing satirical songs and went back into the mathematics racket. He hated performing and realized his songs only preached to the choir.

2 Likes

I know. It was a shame, because he was very gifted, and I completely understand his reasoning. “The choir” gets pretty boring after a while. But, we still have his songs. “The Irish Ballad” is a favourite of mine.

Ditto on the Irish Ballad.
Poisoning Pigeons In The park is another song that speaks directly to my soul (a pigeon deposited a “calling card” on my head in Paris once …)

2 Likes

Perfer the alternative version sign…seems more apocalyptic…your mile may vary…

2 Likes