The Great Canadian Campaign!

@Mead93 . The lacquer is always a good idea to use . The next question would be thw air pressure and distance from the pieces.
Overall I like the look . Once you do filters and a bit of weathering they will loose allot of the grainy look. So I would not worry allot about that.
Another consideration is the way the picture os processed by the camera lens can also have a funny effect.
To be honest and to put all the paint super sleuthing behind us, I personally find the effect quite attractive and would like to know can it be repeated .

Pressure was about 30 psi, yes quite high but I’ve had issues spraying metallics at low pressure. I sprayed about 3 inches away. I think a big part of the effect was the black primer, I used grey primer on the spitfire engine, and it came out much “smoother” looking

@Mead93 . Yea the primer is probably the culprit.
The bright side is now you know how to repeat the effect.
Roll on with the great work brother.

1 Like

At a guess, you sprayed the Spit parts closer than 3 inches as they were smaller, but the Churchill parts were larger so you sprayed from further away than the Spit parts for wider coverage?

3 inches is a mile with acrylics; the paint is already part dry before it hits the model, which is the cause of the grainy effect.

I spray them at max 20 psi from an inch away. I just ease the trigger back enough for the thin paint to flow.

It also depends on your AB I have an Iwata HP-CP which has a top mounted gravity feed and is designed for thin light coats and fine line painting - perfect for my style…

I normally do as you describe, but as you state it was hard to maneuver my airbrush in tight inside the hull, and I have a devil of a time with metallics, I’m going to reprime and try again with a thinner mix as you describe!

Got the spitfire interior built up and base coated. Next up, detail painting, and washes. I’m still pondering how to paint the dash since the back and dials are black. I’m thinking of painting the dash an off black/dark grey and the dials black so they pop a bit.

5 Likes

I think a dark grey or rubber black is a solid idea, especially if you can dry brush the rims with a highlight colour.

That and a drop of clear gloss on the faces should get you some good contrast.

Looking at a couple cockpit photos (though not paying attention to Mk) there are a couple different coloured gauge rims too which will help with variation

2 Likes

Yeah I saw that I think the colored rims will help for sure along with the gloss. I was a bit worried the dials on the dark rimmed dials wouldn’t stand out, I think a dark grey backing might help.

1 Like

Mead, nice progress on the Spitfire.

Ezra, Great work on the medal. Looks cool!

I am considering joining with an Canadian designed and build aircraft. Flown in Canadian colors with a Canadian pilot. I might even eat a bit of Canadian maple syrup while I build it. Does it get more Canadian than that? :wink: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The details seem a bit heavy, but I trust the kit will go together nicely. The aftermarket decals should be fine as the kit decals are VERY basic.

4 Likes

jealousy intensifies

Now, for the true question here: where did you get it, and do they have more?

3 Likes

Right?

@Mead93 , weren’t you looking for a Clunk a while ago?

1 Like

Yeah, a member on here offered me one at a really good price, but I passed on it for now. I dont think I will have time to get the project I wanted to use it for done this year.

That’s not how stashes work, but given your upcoming move I’ll let this one slide

2 Likes

Yea I am trying to limit the number of kits I need to take with me :frowning: sad day for sure

Ship it to the new place. A house warming gift if you will. :joy:

1 Like

If I knew my new address it would be very tempting!

Can’t wait till I cross the border so I can take advantage of sprue brothers insane deals

Dennis, ironically I got it while being stationed in the US some years back. It was an eBay second hand offer with all the extra included.

This seems to be the perfect campaign to finally build it.

For anyone chasing a kit like this, you need to get some decals as well. Below is a picture of the kit included decal sheet.

1 Like

Been away from the bench for a bit, finally a bit more progress on my Firefly, lower hull almost done and ready for track armour. Almost gave up on fiddly PE light guards.
![image|500x500]

(upload://gRPzetMfzwCGC6epSpazVTjuZUg.jpeg)

4 Likes

Detail painted the spitfire interior today. I didn’t have any period pictures of the firewall so some artistic license was taken there. For the instrument panel o sprayed in flat black and then painted the dials in Vallejo german tank uniform which is a very dark grey. I think it offers som contrast in the dials vs background. I am still debating painting the dial face lines but have no idea how to go about it.

I also discovered I have an old humbrol polished aluminum I’ll use to repaint the Churchill as it is much smoother than Tamiyas

3 Likes

Gauge cluster looks great. Good call on the German Grey. As for the dial faces, it would be a nice addition but my hands shake just thinking about it.