The Rustacean

Greetings all!

The academic year is but a month away, which means my time for full-fledged projects decreases, and my time for forums grows. As always, I am far more active on the Micro Machines Podcast discord server, but I figure I’ll post a bit more here as well.

Some of you may remember that tropical T-55 I’ve been working on. Well, over time a lack of a diorama has resulted in it becoming a sort of test bed for new stuff. Lately, it’s been helping me try out some Abteilung 502 oil paints. I’m ecstatic with them. At $5 a tube, they’re not cheap, but good lord I love them. They can be thinned to whatever consistency I desire, are very pigment rich, and are way more fun to use than premixed stuff. Dare I say it, I’m a changed man.

Anyways, in this thread I’ll post whatever stuff I do to the T-55. @Canmedic , in his infinite paint thinner-induced wisdom, has named it the “Rustacean”, and I think he was spot on!

That’s all for now! Tomorrow I think I might try some engine grease effects… We shall see!

Dennis

22 Likes

Both a very appropriate name and a fantastic piece of work/test bed!

1 Like

Oh my God Dennis this piece is just stunning! The tonality and texture you have achieved are awesome. The rust is just beautiful everywhere. You did all this with just oils?

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Yes, I actually did all of this with two tubes of abteilung 502 paint, their dark and light rust.

Impressive!!!

1 Like

More work with oils!

I also added a little tow cable, which I’ll have more photos of tomorrow!

More work on the tracks as well. New burnished metal effects, rust, and earth washes!

Methinks there ought to be more plant life… after all, it is a tank that’s driven around the south Pacific! Perhaps we’ll see some more foliage added tomorrow, all depends on if it’s busy at work.

Until then!

Dennis

6 Likes

Starting to add plant life, lots of moss to come!

8 Likes

Over weathered. Just stop and give up modeling please

2 Likes

Fair enough. @hobby1sh can have my kits and @Panzer_modeler can have my used socks.

3 Likes

Na not weathered enough, Dennis make it rustier, needs more patina, more chipping.

2 Likes

You sir know nothing about how real vehicles look or operate. I was a tank crewman for 28 years and never saw anything close to this unrealistic rust bucket. Ive won hundreds of modeling awards and I know about this subject so respect your betters

2 Likes

Wow. Your arrogance invalidates your opinion. You’re the type that wants to start flame wars. This model is of an abandoned tank rotting for decades in a jungle, so it’s weathering is totally realistic. Why the baditude?

4 Likes

And yet your profile states that you only began modelling this year?

Which village are you depriving of its idiot?

8 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: oh my goodness

I thought… and still think… he is making a joke… pulling your leg…

And for what its worth…this model is Beautiful… looks so good… hope to sometime do something that will hopefully look a bit like this :+1: :+1: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Ranks pretty high up on the list of “All-time most arrogant first posts on internet forums”.
Another title to add to your hundreds of modeling awards.

5 Likes

Heavy dose of sarcasm!
Ken

Sarcasm… apparently, the lowest form of wit…

I disagree, actually, the delivery of good sarcasm requires intelligence and a very, very good grasp of the English language when delivering it in written form.

This poster clearly has neither.

3 Likes

I am also happy to take any spare socks that Pzr-M does not want ?

2 Likes

And on a side note, after still serving in the military after 37 years, the majority of it on Armour, I can say this representation of an overused, neglected and forgotten about wagon in be it, a jungle, open field or a dusty dirty corner of a tank storage depot is pretty much spot on. Well done Dennis @DennisatAutoloader

5 Likes