The Story Behind Your Username and Avatar?

2 Likes

Mines boring, simply my name and my dog keeps a watchful eye in my avatar

I have already replied in this topic but I just realised that I have changed my username since then so my original post is rather confusing. It used to be RobinNilsson (rather boring as @Simon_Barnes so eloquently pointed out).
I changed it to Uncle-Heavy. I am an uncle (both siblings have kids) and I am heavy (about 280-290pounds).

Uncle Heavy is also the nickname that Deaths manservant Albert ( Alberto Malich the Wise) used when he dressed up as an elf/pixie when he and Death were stand-ins for the Hogfather.
The Hogfather is Discworlds version of Santa Claus.
Death and Albert were in a toy store. Death as Santa, Albert (was a mean conniving wizard with lots of enemies when he was still alive) pretending to be a pixie (a bit large to be honest) and great big male hogs, big tusks and lots of spiky bristles along their backs, grunting and smelling and doing other things.
The hogs are instead of reindeer, it is the Hog-father display …
One little kid asks Albert who he is.
A pixie! grumbles Albert
What’s your name then? I think the kid says something about size, Albert being too big.
Albert grumbles back that he is Uncle Heavy!

5 Likes

It seems that when I think about it, the boots I had were made for polishing - but that is to distort the memory. We did indeed “walk” or rather tramp endlessly over the Surrey heaths and lanes; what I did note was that after an initial, sometimes painful breaking-in, of the old leather-soled ammo boots, I never really suffered that much from blisters.

Fast forward a couple of years and marching - ie say, the annual military tests - in Boots DMS - no matter how well worn in - normally resulted in a debilitating crop of blisters. Hmmm.

3 Likes

I like to change avatar’s to match the type of projects on the bench. So Doctor Strangelove seemed ideal for this year’s focus on WW2 German AFV’s and Cold War Soviet AFV’s. Plus the movie is my favorite satire of all time.

6 Likes

mine is pretty straight forward. It’s my Webcast Show’s name and logo :slight_smile:

COMING MAY 11TH. BattleScale Collectica Show. A Video Webcast that features custom fan made figures and scale models.
rumble.com/BattlescaleCollectica

3 Likes

My avatar is obviously a pair of US Army airborne wings indicating my interest in airborne subjects and my completion of the Army school while on active duty. The name metal head comes from my love of heavy metal music and all things armor and 85 for the year I graduated high school AND entered the US Army.

7 Likes

My nickname is Barney. My avatar is a visual of the quote from Archer, “All I’ve had today is like six gummy bears and some scotch”.

3 Likes

When I was in college, my sister gave me a t-shirt with a cartoon by the Seattle cartoonist Lynda Barry:

And then a little later me and some friends were making up pseudo-Latin words (yeah, I know, nerd pastimes :grin:) when I was wearing the shirt and we came up with “canis malus”, which means bad dog in Latin…

My avatar is from a University of Washington (not where I went) graduation ceremony, where a husky (the school mascot) is wearing a mortarboard - since I teach at a university, it seemed appropriate.

6 Likes

Well, I am from a small town in northern WI named Brantwood and I’ve used the same name since I was a young boy, and the pic is one of my favorite models I have built today.

2 Likes