The Story Behind Your Username and Avatar?

Yes, true 7th Panzer was known as Gespenster in 1940 France.

Also true, 11th Panzer also took the name and cemented the association with the logo. 11th Panzer acquired the name "Ghost Division " because of its speed and habit of turning up where its enemies least expected.

@Stikpusher, ohh thats a fascinating detail the ghost on a Leo 2. I’m going to have to build one someday. Thank you.

Found a picture on the net, logo on upper turret face :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine came from owning a number of Corvettes over the years…the nickname stuck. The avatar is one of those Corvettes in front of the Space Shuttle Atlantis placed for it’s last mission in 2011 (STS 135)…when I was a Govt Inspector with NASA. I retired on the 31st of Dec, '20.

2 Likes

Pretty cool looking, isn’t it?

6 Likes

Definitely cool :sunglasses:

Love the Leo 2A4! Remembers me of my own tanker time 1985/86. Thanks for the pics, guys!

1 Like

The name is my own name, the avatar is the stamp we used to use while geoaching (J for my wife Jeanette and B for me). Another name I have used online for years is Vlekkenbertje, bak in 1998 when I started my online life, I used to have 2 Dalmattians back then, so Vlekken (=spots)bertje (=diminutive for Bert).

Well my name is where I live and what I do in my spare time. Avatar is my dad’s old USN helo squadron logo that I was searching for on here for a project that one of the long time posters found and sent to me so I snagged it for that (sorry drawing a blank on who sent it to me-apologies).

1 Like

My username is a rather strange nickname with just 01 added. The avatar is a fine looking painting of Robert the Bruce because I am Scottish.

I just came across this tidbit of information. Apparently it is the 3rd Company of Panzerbatallion 64 that uses the ghost panzer insignia

2 Likes

Kirby from the 60’s TV show Combat! Complains a lot carries a BAR. I don’t have a BAR… yet.

2 Likes

Well, it’s been some time since the last post here and I stumbled across it today, so I thought I’d share:

Mine isn’t as cool as some other’s stories; it’s just my first and last initials and then “PlasticModels” because that’s what I build (doh, right? :joy:) The Avatar is just a profile pic that I used on my Google account and I thought I’d just carry it over to here.

Colin :grin:

6 Likes

Not too complicated - initials and year of birth .
For a long time my focus was Japanese aircraft and the Oscar my favorite. A trip to Oregon to visit my cousin in Madras and hence a visit to the Erickson Collection . Got my picture taken by their flying example . P&W power I believe with modified DC 3 cowling and enlarged canopy.

1 Like

I build armor hence the user name. I change the avatar periodically to one of my recent builds.

1 Like

SABLE - is the Heraldic Tincture color for black; my last name literally translates to black.

LIGER - a lion/tiger hybrid animal; I was born in 1974, the year of the Tiger in the CHinese zodiac, but I lover Ligers even more, plus is the name of one of my favorite ZOIDS robot from when i was growing up.

Also, GLAMOROUS GLENNIS is the nickname of Chuck Yeager’s Bell X-1 Supersonic rocket plane, which broke the Mach 1 barrier on October 14, 1947.

And the US soldier for life? well? I am…

3 Likes

And here I thought it meant you do all your painting with a brush…:rofl:

:beer:

My own nick is simply Japanese for “draft beer”.

My avatar is one of my all time favorite photos: A Japanese snow monkey in a hot spring playing with a phone he stole from a careless tourist. If I was ever going to telework, this is what it would look like.

:beer:

7 Likes
2 Likes

Nama of course does have other meanings… :smile:

But the kanji is on the Sapporo cans and bottles, so…

Speaking of, I do miss Sapporo Black.

My nickname is Jack and I’ve been involved/owed Corvettes since 1973. The ‘avatar’ reflects my time as a Govt Inspector on the Space Shuttle.

2 Likes

SdAufKla - Sonderaufklärer: a somewhat tongue-in-cheek reference to a previous vocation.

3 Likes

Well, the issue boots for the British Army back in the 60s (and beyond) were “Boots – Direct Moulded Sole” – ie rubber-soled; they replaced the leather (and studded) “Boots, Ammunition”. Upon my joining a Junior Leaders’ battalion in 1969 as a keen 15 year-old, I was somewhat disappointed to be issued with ammo boots; I’d worn them previously in the Cadets but now thought that as part of the Regular Army we’d have the latest kit. Not a bit of it: ’37 Pat webbing and ammo boots – 2 pairs, one as “workers” and one as “best”. Lots of polishing on the latter, and even the “workers” had to have the heel and toe segments highly polished.

Both Boots DMS and ammo boots were ankle boots and had to be worn with either a webbing anklet, (gaiters) or cloth puttees. Needless to say, we had the web anklets which, along with all the other web accoutrements, had to be immaculately blanco’d ( an application of a pale khaki-like paste) with the leather straps, again, highly polished, and the brass buckles the same.

I chose “Boots DMS” as the item was just so redolent of my time back then, and we yearned for them. Clattering around in steel shod footwear just seemed so archaic.

The avatar is merely the British Army’s trade badge for a “B1 Class Tradesmen” which I became after a 2 week course in 1977/78 - I can’t quite remember(!)

5 Likes