Tin Can Sailors Campaign (10/1/20 - 10/31/21)

Hello all,

just a quick update: for the AA-outfit I choosed the double-25mm from the polish company “The shelf oddity”. And I have to say, the parts look outstandingon the fret.
When I built meine, I can stell more (hopefully this weekend)
:sunglasses:

Cheers

Alex

1 Like

Honestly I have found that to be an issue with most PE davits regardless of scale. Fine PE compared to plastic will always make the plastic part (the boats) look clunky. I have sometimes just used the original plastic part and dressed it up just so the davit and the boat look proportional. Obviously that works better the larger the scale.

Hi Rory,

that’s someting I haven’t even thought about :thinking:
But that’s something I’ll try on my next destroyer project (Fuyuzuki and Hatsushimo, both with a lot of PE).
But now I’ll cover both cutters with some kind of tarpaulin…, just for the look. To be honest, I don’t even know if the japanese navy did it like that.

And here’s my 25mm-double. To me it looks convincing.

Cheers

Alex

2 Likes

Hi All,

Wow, lots of good stuff going on here!

I’m in with Trumpeters 1/350 USS Sullivans. A Fletcher class named after the five Sullivan brothers that were lost when the USS Jarvis went down.

I also got the PE set from Gold Medal Models for this. I used to model nothing but ships, and then got bit by the flying bug. Back then there wasn’t PE, so this should be a fun and interesting build! Also, know I won’t hesitate to ask questions as I go, so please be patient with me.

I decided to do the ship full hull, so the first step for me was to get that all together and remove the seams. They weren’t too bad, so out came the MS 500 and over I went, and then followed up with MS 1000.

I was a bit surprised that there was a bit of a seam that still remained, so I marked off the areas and finished the seam using super glue.

Seemed like a lot of work on something easy, so hopefully the next steps will go a bit easier! More to follow.

Have fun!

3 Likes

It would seem you may have suffered an autocorrection, the brothers died as a consequence of the sinking of the cruiser USS Juneau (CL-52). Two or three of the brothers were amongst the 100 or so survivors of the massive explosion that sank the ship but none were among the 10 men picked up some eight days later after a belated search (shades of USS Indianapolis), these from a crew of some 670. The cruiser was replaced by a similar but upgrade vessel, USS Juneau (CL-119). USS Jarvis (DD-393) had been lost with all hands in the same general area a couple of months previously.

Regards,

M

Closing the seams on the hull, the fun part…LOL. I better get back to my build for the campaign, October will be here before I know it.

Mark :beer:

You’re right! I’m not sure how USS Jarvis wound up in that post. Although, I have been doing a lot of research surrounding the Guadalcanal campaign which could explain it. Thanks for catching that!

Excellent! Welcome onboard!!

Hi All,

I’ve got the hull all cleaned up, and am in the process of adding the propeller shafts. Then it will be off to paint the hull. Here’s my thoughts on how it will go.

• Taping off the hull at the red plastic, and lay down some Tamiya hull red.
  • Tape that all off when dry.
  • Use 2 mm strips of tape to measure off the boot line to be 2 mm wide (did some rough calculations and think this is pretty close based on the kit supplied drawing) anyone know if I’m close?
  • I’m hoping to do Measure 21, and only have Tamiya and Mr. Color available, Though I do like how the Tamiya Field blue looks with something else added, any thoughts there? Sea blue? I’m at a bit of a loss.

My questions are, is the order of painting in line with how you all do it (hull, boot, then topside color)? Second, using the red plastic as a guide, would you all put the boot stripe above or below? And again any help with a close match for Navy blue 5-N.

Thanks!

1 Like

I typically will spray the whole hull black. Then tape the boot line. Then do the lower hull. Tape it over using the boot like tape as a guide and the. I spray the upper hull.

@john41492 Welcome aboard! If I ever get myself in gear, it’ll be interesting to compare your 1/350 The Sullivans with my 1/700 The Sullivans.

Jim

So, I finally got myself in gear, and started on my USS The Sullivans. The plan is to do her in Measure 22 (1945). We’ll see how it goes. Here’s where I’m at so far:

The colors on the knives are Tamiya AS-8 USN Nave Blue and Tamiya AS-26 Light Ghost Grey.

Little better pic of the hull:

Can you Model Ship Guys tell I really have no clue what I’m doing!

Jim

1 Like

If I knew what I was doing I would be building airplanes!

Hello all,

after I failed gloriously with Yugumo -accidentally spilled glue over it, and my attemps to rescue the ship made things even worse-, and the model related burnout which was a direct result of this catastrophic moment, made me cry in pain and agony for a long time …, no, not really :joy: :rofl:. But somehow my mojo was gone, and I stopped modelling for two month.
But yesterday I started again with “Hatsushimo” and the “AKA”-PE-set, which is very comprehensive.
Anyway, I’ll try to finish her in the time remaining. :+1:

Here the starting pic and some progress.

Cheers

Alex

5 Likes

Sorry,

forgot the pic with time and date.
:roll_eyes:

Cheers

Alex

Ya, I would cry too! Glad to see you back at it.

1 Like

My failures aren’t glorious, they often end as glue bombs despite my best efforts, but to see all of that work go to waste would be devastating. I might have taken up another hobby, say, bird-watching or raffia work. But if your Yugumo is a no-go, I might have a stab at one - just OOB, no PE. I’m having to accept my future may be simple weekend-type builds rather than what I would prefer to do (that or accept the end results of my ideas will never match the concept).

Regards,

M

1 Like

Hi Tom,

when I build a tank or a plane or other models (not a ship), they’re built OOB. At the moment there’s a 1/35 T-72B3 (Trumpeter) on my bench, as are three ships, and I never thought about buying fancy PE or the latest A-46M5 gun just to add a little bit of accuracy. In the end it’s just a tank, from which there’re thousands. Nobody will every recognize a certain tank.
I only add PE to ships, just because I think it improves the look. And in my mind the piece of plasitc only becomes a ship when I add railings and rigging and other fancy things that normally bring me to the edge of insanity… :crazy_face:

And when something unforseen happens -mostly something disapointing- I try to repair it. If it doesn’t work, I shelf the ship for a later occassion. Normally, this will be only after I master the art of time-travel. :rofl:

Cheers

Alex

1 Like

Alex, nice start to your Hatsushimo. There sure is a lot of P/E in that set.

I’ve managed to get some color on the hull of The Sullivans:

Hopefully will start working on the superstructure soon. I really need to find a better way to photograph these small ships. :thinking:

Jim

2 Likes

Hi all,

some pics of the progress with Hatsushimo.

Due to changed work I haven’t made as much progress as I wanted to, but in the end it’s okay for me.

Regarding the AKA PE-set: maybe I’m wrong, but I think it was made for an older mould of Hatsushimo.

Cheers

Alex

5 Likes