Tin Can Sailors Campaign (10/1/20 - 10/31/21)

@McRunty: I have Mikasa 1905 in 1:200 scale, and Yamashiro and Kongo both in 1:350 scale with a lot extras for each. Not sure now which one will be next - maybe Yamashiro

@Black_sheep As a World of Warships player I have to vote Kongo. Iconic Tier V BB from the game. She’s also a great looking ship and I know you will do her justice!

I like the FUSO very much in WoW. One broadside of it will surely get one Citadel hit to the enemy. Ok I will consider your wish in my plannings… :thinking: :beer:

My favourites if the IJN fleet are Kongo, Musashi (yip, I have one) and then Amagi.

Quick update on the USS Buchanan build.

Hull is painted along with most of the superstructures and turrets which are have only been dry fitted for now.

Didn’t like the look of the depth charge racks that came with the kit so I built the PE ones that came in G.M.M. upgrade set. The grey rack in the center is the kit supplied rack.

Also will be adding 3D printed torpedo mount and 40mm gun.

That is it for now.

Mark :beer:

4 Likes

Looks really good Mark!

That looks really great. The AM depth charge racks look quite a bit better I think. I love both US and Japanese destroyers from WW2. They have a great look to them.

Looks great Mark!

Thomas, that is some beautiful work on your Zerstörer! I keep looking at your final pictures again and again… fantastic!
:grin:

Thank you very much Tim, appreciated :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

Panzer_Modeler, Phil2015, McRunty,

Thank you the kind remarks and for looking in.

Mark :beer:

Well everybody’s cracking on with their builds, so I thought I’d better post up where Dauntless is quickly, before I head off to hospital for a bit of work on the snoz (bent nose from a duel with a horse when I was but a wee lad!)

The hull’s formed up nicely and is now ready for the sanding/filling/sanding sequence. Roll on pics

More pics in the dedicated build here.

Best wishes to everyone for Easter, the dockyard will take a few days off, then be back at it next week :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Looking really good Russell. I hope your time in the fender and body shop is without inciden.

1 Like

First, I’d like to say that there are some really amazing builds in this campaign that I hope I can aspire to. I don’t usually build ships, so it’s all a learning experience; but isn’t that what this is all about?

Well, I’m finally getting my act together on my USS The Sullivans DD537. I had some in progress projects that I wanted to get off the bench first, and a 49 day stay in the hospital didn’t help. So, I have some questions. According to my research, the USS The Sullivans was painted in Measure 21 camouflage in 1945 which was Navy Blue (5-NB), Haze Gray (5-H), and Deck Gray (20). I think I have a good color for the Navy Blue, but I need some help with the Haze Gray & Deck Gray. These are the colors I have available:
Testors Model Masters Gunship Gray FS36118
Testors Model Masters Light Sea Gray FS36307
Testors Flat Gull Gray FS36440
Testors Light Aircraft Gray

I know they won’t be exact, but which ones would be a good match for Haze Gray & Deck Gray?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jim

1 Like

Just a note to let everyone know this campaign has been moved to the main campaign forum and now has a forum of it’s own. Where you can now find @Black_sheep’s blog for the campaign. You are all welcome to make your own unique posts in this forum as well as that’s the way the new campaign structure will work.

Cheers,
Jim

Hello,

finally I’m back at the bench to resume work on my “IJN Yugumo”, after being away for some time because of serious eye-troubles and a prolonged time in hospital.
After my recovery, the motivation to finish this ship was gone. But now I’m back at the bench… :sunglasses:

This is the “Yugumo” at the moment:

I know that I have to do some touchups here and there, but now it begins to look like a real Tin-Can.

Any comments and critique is much appriciated.

Cheers
Alex

3 Likes

Looking good Alex!

Hello,

this is where I’m at the moment with my Tin-Can.
Not much done until now, only a small part of railing, front torpedo reloads and AA-platform with aft funnel.

(In the background you can see “Tone”)

Critique is always appreciated.

Cheers
Alex

2 Likes

She looks good, really coming along nicely!

Thank you. :grinning:

For me the colour (Sasebo-gray, Tamiya XF-77) looks a bit dark. For the next ship, I’ll tone it down a bit. As I will do with the linoleum. :thinking:

And does anyone has an advice how to improve the look of the life-boats? They look a bit clumsy when compared directly to the PE-davits.

Cheers

Alex