Torsten's bench works

Beautiful result Torsten. Such an unusual subject to see built and lovely to behold. I loved watching this one come to life piece by piece. Looking forward to your next build.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words, Peter! The Su-2 is indeed a rarity on model expos and of the original also only 800 were built. More and better photos plus some infos as usual a little later in my Assembly Line Thread.

I’m really satisfied how everything came out finally and how I solved the little problems also this kit has. Every kit has some some “surprises” and challenges for the builder waiting to be solved. See Damian’s Boomerang build now with the engine not fitting well to the fuselage parts.

My next build will be far more common to all of us … :wink: Just have to prepare the photos of the sprues etc.

Torsten :beer:

1 Like

The Su-2 reminds me of the Grumman Avenger.
tim :smiley:

1 Like

That’s true, Tim. Though I have 2 Italeri Avengers (ex Accurate) in my stash I havn’t built one yet. Should think about it … :thinking:

1 Like

Torsten,
Another one of your absolutely mint museum quality builds. Honestly, after all these years I come to expect nothing less of you, and you’ve yet to disappoint me no matter how difficult or poor engineered the kit is.

As usual, I’m looking forward to your next build.

joel

1 Like

Lovely build Torsten, an unusual subject but a very interesting type as well. Definitely one I don’t know much about!

That kit is definitely fighting me at the moment, hopefully once I manage to get the fuselage closed up things might flow a bit smoother!

Looking forward to your next project as always.

Cheers, D

1 Like

They are a joy to build Torsten and so many camouflage schemes too :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, guys!

Joel, as usual I try my best and the kit is not bad at all. Like every other kit, this one has also a few flaws but the end result of this rare bird really pleases me. :slightly_smiling_face:

Damian, with your skills I know you’ll make the Boomerang another gem to your collection! :+1:

Tim, just had a look in the box of the Avenger and noticed that Italeri offers 6 options for this kit, also a FAA Tarpoon plus an RNZAF bird and a USN Avenger in Atlantic camo. Hmm, I should really think about it. But not this year. My production plan is already full … :laughing:

Okay, here comes my next build. I noticed that I haven’t built a Spitfire for a long time. I think, the last one was during the Edgar Brooks Memorial Campaign. Edgar died in 2015, IIRC.

Recently I bought this new Spitfire Story “Tally Ho” Limited Edition from Eduard, which carries on with the Mk. II. Now I think it’s time to get it on the bench. The box art looks so nice that I will use it for presentations on future model shows …

… the box is full of happy modelling … :slightly_smiling_face:

… Eduard offers 10 options for 2 complete builds, one Mk. II a and one Mk. II b …

… as usual with these Limited Editions (and Profi Packs), the instruction sheet is a little booklet made with a lot of care …

This is really nice! On Page 1 we find a little story of the development of the Mk. II with some photos. As I said - made with a lot of care. Well done, Eduard!

It’s not easy to figure out which options to build because all of them look very lovely. Finally I decided to go for option B, a Mk. II a of No. 41 Sqn, flown by SqnLdr Donald Finlay in November 1940 …

… and for option I, a Mk. II b of No. 306 Sqn, flown by Sgt. Marcin Machowiak in August 1941 …

… both Spits have different camo schemes of Dark Earth/Dark Green/Sky and Ocean Grey/Dark Green/Medium Grey.
The decal sheet is in A4 format and full of well printed decals, made by Eduard. As far as I have heard they no longer co-operate with Cartograph …

… the kit also includes stencils, masks and PE-Parts for both builds …

… let’s now have a look at the sprues. Sprue A has all the clear parts …

… Sprue C holds the fuselage parts …

… Sprue J/K has the wing parts for the Mk. II a …

… Sprue L has the wing parts for the Mk. II b with the 20 mm cannons …

… Sprue P holds several parts for the rudders and landing gear …

… Sprue R holds various parts for the cockpit and propeller etc…

… Sprue S has more rudder parts, exhaust stacks and propellers …

All sprues are twice, except J/K/L. Not all parts are used in these builds as the sprues are marked with Mk. I-V. So we can expect more to come from Eduard in the future.
As an extra, this edition includes a sprue for pilots and mechanics with a small instruction sheet …

This looks to become another fun build and I’m really looking forward to start the Spits in the next days. Maybe some of you will join me again on this ride.

Happy modelling!
Torsten
:beer:

8 Likes

A beautiful build of a rare subject Torsten. Congratulations on a fine Su-2! :slightly_smiling_face::beers:

Excellent choice of your next subject too: build #6 for the year! Well done!!! :relaxed: (I’m struggling with build #1! :wink:)

1 Like

looking forward to your Spitfire builds already Torsten

1 Like

Torsten,
an excellent choice for your next build: Double Spits Mk IIb’s. As usual, I’ll be following your adventures till both are parked on the flight line.

joel

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, guys!

Russell, every now and then I check your build. You put a lot of extra work in that ship. Building a ship always takes a lot more time than a tank or an aircraft. Don’t worry about your building speed.

Joel, while you are talking about the flightline, I grabbed a few Spits from my shelf …

… somewhere I have also a Mk. V and a Mk. XVI but I couldn’t find them on the spot.

4 Likes

Torsten,
Now that’s one heck of a flight line for sure.

joel

1 Like

Thankyou Torsten :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s very true that ships take a long time compared to planes and tanks. As I get older, I’m far more reluctant to take on the challenge of ships as I realise I can build many more aircraft in that same time frame as just one ship :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Russelle,

No one has been more negligent about following your ship builds then me. I just never seem to find the time or when I do find the time, I totally forget to do so. Going to correct that ASAP.

joel

1 Like

Masterfully built Su-2 Torsten!! Looking forward to that Spit.

1 Like

Thanks Joseph! I’m glad to hear that you like my Suchoi.

Well, every start is a slow start and this is no exception, especially when there are 2 builds to work on. But in the past days I managed to do a bit of pre-assembling of the cockpit parts. They are waiting for some paint now …

… I have decided to build P7666 (Mk. II a) with a closed canopy and have done a bit of surgery this evening. Here is the step shown in the instruction …

… and how it looks like on the kit parts. While on P8342 (Mk. II b) the fuselage parts will be left untouched …

… on P7666 the parts are cut off. There’s no turning back … :fearful:

It should work, I have test fitted the canopy first. Hope to show some more progress soon.

Torsten :wave:

3 Likes

Torsten,
Your knife skills are that of a surgeon.
joel

1 Like

Thanks, Joel. But you better don’t let me work as a surgeon … :open_mouth:

Another week has passed and I had to build up some more motivation first for these builds. But now I’m at the right level and can show you some little progress. As I said before P7666 will get a closed canopy, so here I will use only a minimum of the PE parts offered and save them for a later build …

First I have finished the IP, left side with PE parts for P8342, the Mk. IIb, right side with decals (4 decals!) for P7666, the Mk. IIa …

… seat for P8432 is nearly finished now with all PE parts. Fiddly work as usual …

… both cockpits are done now and ready to join the fuselage. As you can see, P7666 has only some Tamiya tape as seat belts. I keep the PE seat belts for some other build with an open cockpit …

I have already started to work on the fuselage halves. Hope to show some more progress soon.

Torsten :beer:

7 Likes