Torsten's bench works

Torsten,
Both cockpits looks darn good and almost identical to this race car guy. You really did a fantastic job creating the pilots harness out of tape.

joel

1 Like

Looking good Torsten :smiley:
tim :smiley:

1 Like

They look gorgeous Torsten.

1 Like

Don’t know how you do it Torsten: work on 2 kits at the same time; let alone those kits being of practically the same aircraft. :clap::clap::clap:

Personally I struggle having more than one kit on the go at one time and find it akin to trying to drive 2 cars across a desert at the same time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thanks guys!

Russell, that’s very easy to explain. If I work on 2 kits simultaneously, I need less time building them compared to finish one and than start the next. No matter if they look alike like these or are completely different ones. And I try to work on them every evening, even if it’s just for 15 minutes. Yesterday it was over 2 hours and today I have just started. Let’s see how far this evening will bring me … :innocent:

2 Likes

Torsten,
I’m retired, and find a way to model for a few hours at a min a good 5-6 days/week. You have a full time job, and you’re basically matching me. Just amazing.

joel

2 Likes

Torsten I’m a bit late to the party, but a beautiful build of that Su-2 and like already mentioned a rare build too boot.

Now to catch up with your earlier posts in this tread, oh and of course will follow your Spit builds. Bits on sticks and great looking cockpits. Now I like the idea of putting the part number on the base for the stick, I may have to steal that idea :shushing_face:

1 Like

Thanks guys!

Welcome to my thread, Luciano! :slightly_smiling_face: It’s never too late to join this party here as I hope it will go on and on and on. With some interruptions of course when I join the guys at Armorama.
Those clamps are really helpfull for sub assembly. You don’t need to steal the idea with the numbers, I’m sure it’s not mine. Just use it.

Okay, this double build is in full swing now and I can show a bit more progress. Yesterday I glued the cockpits in the fuselage half …

… while first test fitting yesterday evening was great for P7666, it was more or less unedifying in case of P8342 …

… but when I tried it again today several times and finally added glue to it, everything went smooth. The build has finally agreed to co-operate … :slightly_smiling_face:

Fortunately I have enough rubber bands. Started already to work at the wings and hope to show more soon.

Have a nice weekend!
Torsten :beer:

10 Likes

Looking good Torsten, looking like the Castle Bromwich production line :smiley:
tim :smiley:

1 Like

Love the twin mummy’s Torsten…

4 Likes

:rofl:
Hahaha! Mummies! That’s funny! :joy:

Tim, did they also use rubber bands for the fuselage in Castle Bromwich … ? :laughing:

Just a little progress from yesterday evening. The undersides of the wings are done now and here we can see the main difference between Mk. IIa and IIb …

… the Mk. IIa had four 7,7 mm (or 0,303 in) guns per wing …

… while the Mk. IIb had only two of them, plus one 20 mm cannon per side, which will be added later …

Now I have to paint the landing gear wells in Aluminium first before I can carry on with the upper halves of the wings.

Have a nice Sunday!
Torsten :wave:

8 Likes

Torsten,
The twin fuselages really look great with a ton of detail in both cockpits. Once glued together you’d be really hard pressed to tell the difference without the wings added.

joel

1 Like

Hi Torsten,

You have an amazing build thread here, too! I see now why you wrote in the Leo campaign that you are an “airplane guy”.

I really like all your posts here.

Tamás

1 Like

Tamás, what a great surprise to see you here! :slightly_smiling_face: Welcome! I’m glad to hear that you like what you see. Thanks!
Hope to see you here again from time to time.

ah… Eduard… I so want to jump ship from building the Airfix kits in my stash to Eduard/Special Hobby! Alas, red boxes dominate! :joy:

Russelle,
How about just convincing yourself it just a break, or a change of pace, and you’re not abandoning Airfix kits.

joel

1 Like

@Joel_W Ah, yes Joel, I’ve thought about that, but one needs to get the proposal past the treasury: there’s always this rebuttal, “why are you buying more kits, when you haven’t built the dozens you’ve already got?” :joy:

1 Like

@Russelle

The reply: “Because inflation will mean if I wait until I am ready to build this it will cost a lot more to buy later. Then the exchange rate to AUD could get worse. Or the manufacturer may stop making them and then they will be even more costly when people try and cash out by selling them second hand (e.g. Wingnut Wings), so I am actually saving money…”

2 Likes

Russell, I’m with Peter’s statement. If you you want a new kit and can afford it, go for it. It’s always better to choose from 50 kits in the stash than from 5 … :wink:
Several manufacturers produce kits for only a limited time and when you don’t get it now, you might never get it again. Do you remember my Finnish Air Force Bf 109 Dual Combo, which I built in 2020? Eduard offered this kit in 2018/2019 as a Limited Edition and it’s out of production since then. Gone. But I have built them … :slightly_smiling_face: Same with Revell Germany; they have kits for 2-3 years in their progamm and then they’re gone for many years.

2 Likes

Another week has past and I have done some progress on my Tally Ho Dual Spits.

First some more mummies … :joy:

…and a first dry test fitting with the fuselages … :thinking: The door on P7666 is closed now but it needed some sanding to fit well.

… when I added glue to the scene both builds needed a bit of “persuasion” to fit … :stuck_out_tongue: After an hour I have taken the clamps away again and the fitting is really good now. It just needed a bit of sanding.

… I have added more parts to the builds this week and this is were I am at the moment. Another difference between IIa and IIb can be seen on the underside with the different shape of air intakes/coolers, whatever. Don’t know what they are for … :innocent:

… here a view at the oil cooler under the left wing of both planes with the PE part and tubes. Nicely detailed but not much of it will be seen later …

Assembly will continue next week with the canopies and landing gear. I hope to have most assembly done by next weekend and get the primer on.

Have a nice Sunday!
Torsten :wave:

8 Likes