Torsten's bench works

Large rectangular one is the radiator housing, the thin cylindrical one is the oil cooler housing. Later models had 2 rectangular ones, the radiator housing stayed the same, but the other was now a housing for the oil cooler and supercharger intercooler.

Looking good Torsten

1 Like

Lol! So true, Peter! :grin:

I hear you Torsten :slightly_smiling_face: I do indeed remember the wonderful Mersu pair you built! Lovely models.

Don’t worry, I’ve got a couple of Eduard 1/72’s (F6F and Fw190) under the bed already, and with Christmas coming and lockdowns never ending, it seems the man in the Red Suit may bring in some Special hobby kits that are on the want list (Me109 E4, P-40N etc)… :shushing_face:

Meanwhile these 2 MkII’s are coming along brilliantly! :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

I presume you are in NSW or VIC then. Up here in QLD we have not had so many lockdowns, and no where near as long as the Southern States have. Hopefully it will all pass for you Russell

1 Like

Yep, Vic & without going off on a rant, I don’t see things changing any time soon 🤦

Thanks for the corrections, Peter! So I’ve got it completely wrong … :innocent:

Just a quick update on my Spits this evening. Have worked on the clear parts the last 2 days. First some dry fitting on P7666 with its closed canopy …

… sorry for the fuzzy photo. Blame it on macro and auto focus … :stuck_out_tongue:

… here is a small gap visible but I think it will not be seen later when the part is glued to the fuselage …

… same dry fitting on P8342 with its open canopy …

… another small gap here at the windshield which will not be seen later …

… and both canopies masked. I noticed that the masks are not well cut on the sheet but it was not too difficult to get them off …

Tomorrow I glue them to fuselage and hope to get painting started this weekend. I’ll keep you updated!

Torsten :beer:

9 Likes

The sutton harness looks very good. Pretty impressed with Eduards closed canopy incoporating the rear glazing. Plastic for the clear parts look crystal clear. Not a speck of dust either Torsten :smiley:

1 Like

Torsten,
I’d say that you got the masks to do exactly as you wanted them to do. looking forward to how they look once glued into place and painted along with the fuselages.

joel

1 Like

Just another small update. I have just finished glueing the canopies to the cockpits …

… masking the open cockpit of P8342 was a bit tricky. I found it easier to use a not needed door from the kit and close the gap. I have used White Glue to fix it during paiting. It was a bit more difficult to mask than my FiAF Mersus …

… here for comparison MT-230, the Bf 109 G-2 from last year …

Still have to cover the wheel wells with kitchen tissue which I’ll do tomorrow. But I can paint the canopy frames now …

Have all a great weekend!
Torsten :wave:

8 Likes

A bit more progress from the last few days. First white primer over all as usual …

… and first paint on both. Medium Sea Grey on P8342 and Sky on P7666 …

… and first masking with 3 mm Green Fineline Tape. Only the right underwing on P7666 is painted in Sky, the left side will be in Black. The fuselage band is covered with Parafilm …

… I hope to carry on painting at the weekend. But before that it’s masking, masking, masking … :woozy_face:

8 Likes

Torsten.
You’ve got both canopies to basically fit like a fine leather glove. Same for the temp cockpit door on the P8642

White primer looks perfect as usual, but why White rather then a med Gray? is it because of the half sky on the undersides of the P7666?

Joel

1 Like

Thanks, Joel!

Why white primer? You have probably noticed that all my models have a white primer. I work in a paint factory for wood paint and some years ago I tried our primer (only in white) for fun on one of my models. I noticed that it’s sticks very strong to the PS plastic. Maybe because of the binder agent (comes from BASF). Since then I use it for all my models. But I always thin it by 30-40 % with Sidolin. I only can’t use it on rubber, like tank tracks. It just falls off. And a white base is better than grey I think, especially when you have a white, yellow or red top coat later. Also some blue and green tones look better on white.

I guess the old commercial of BASF makes everything better was true.

1 Like

Torsten,
That does make a lot of sense as you get it for free, and it works great. Can you slightly tint it so that white paint is easier to apply evenly?
joel

1 Like

Joel, I haven’t tested it yet but I think I could do it, at least the Revell paints should work with this primer. But as I have mentioned, I think for most top coats a white primer is best.

My Spitfires have made a big step with their camo over the last rainy weekend. First P7666 got a black underside wing with Revell No. 302 …

… while P8342 got the first topside camo with Vallejo 71273 Ocean Grey …

… and fresh from the paint laboratory this evening comes P7666 with a Dark Earth topside camo. Though it looks more Orange here under my bench lamps, I can assure it is a reddish Brown. Paint is Revell No. 82 …

… I’ll leave both builds now to dry throroughly for the next 1-2 days and keep an eye on the landing gears and props meanwhile …

:beers:
Torsten

7 Likes

Torsten,
Great start on both paint schemes. I didn’t know that you mix your own paint at the factory.

joel

1 Like

Thanks Joel! But I think you’ve misunderstood something here. Of course I don’t mix my paint at our factory. I just use our primer coming fresh from the machine.

Have started today with Dark Green on P8342 and found already something to work over again with Ocean Grey because of too much overspray … :roll_eyes:

… in the past days I have painted some smaller parts, including the landing gears but they’re not assembled yet …

… the props are ready to mix some air. Both are a bit different. Part S14 is for the Mk IIa and its hub is the same as on the Mk. I, while part R34 is for the Mk. IIb and its hub looks already like the one on the Mk, V …

Well, guys, everything is put on a hold now for my vacations. For a few days I’m going to “we are red, we are white, we are danish dynamite!” …

… and maybe I’ll see some of these. I’ll carry on with the Spits in about 3 weeks. Until then, take care and happy modelling!

Torsten :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi Torsten,

If we will have the climate change continuing in the next couple of years, that Danish Sand Yellow Camo will be standardized for the Home Land Tank Battalions of Denmark…

Tamás

1 Like

Torsten,
Thanks for the clarification. My error not yours. Screw ups in understanding become more frequent with old age. So sad but so true.

I’m just amazed at how organized you are with your paint clips and stands. I’m going to be borrowing your method for sure.

Have a great holiday, and enjoy.

BTW, I’m a huge F1 fan, and Redbull is my favorite team since the days of Mark Webber. So Naturally Max Verstappen is now my #1 driver and Perez my #2. Today’s race at Zandvoort was amazing. Not so much for the race it self which was excellent, but the fans and the sea of Orange were more then the equal of the Sea of Red for Ferrari at Monza, which is next week’s race.

joel

1 Like

Have a great vacation Torsten.

I just came off 3 days of watching tanks and riding some at Armourfest here in Australia…

1 Like

A holiday that involves driving tanks! What could be better? :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe only topped by a flight in a spitfire? :hugs:

Meanwhile things progressing nicely Torsten! :slightly_smiling_face:

PS. You’ve inspired me to upgrade my holding system and use blocks to hold the sticks, rather than my current method of scraps of wood and polystyrene (which has a habit of getting blown over by the airbrush :astonished:)

1 Like