Torsten's bench works

Thanks guys for your well wishes! :slightly_smiling_face: I’ll leave here tomorrow night. It’s an 800 km ride to the border.

Tamás, let’s hope not! But the Barracuda Net seems to be quite helpfull for cooling down. The photo is from Afghanistan.

Joel, I’m happy for you that the race yesterday ended in your favour. I always keep my fingers crossed for the german drivers no matter what team they are driving for but I’m not so interested in F1 races. The days of Michael Schumacher are long gone and the best days of Sebastian Vettel are also over. If I ever had a favourite driver it sure was Schumi.
These clamps are a really helpfull accessory. You’ll get them easy on Amazon. We’ve already had a discussion about that stuff here earlier. Please go back to posts 150 to 152 and have a look if you like.

Peter, I stay for a few days in Oksbøl. Nearby is the training area of the Danish Army, so there might be a good chance to see some Leos. In town is the tank museum which I want to see also. Not far from Oksbøl in the town of Skjern is the RDAF Museum. So a lot to see if the weather is rainy …

Russell, I sure will see a Spitfire, but not in RAF markings … :wink:

(Photo is taken from the webside of Danmarks Flymuseum)

5 Likes

I love this photo. A subject to build, definitely.

1 Like

Hi gang!
Back from holidays … :unamused: Arrived here after a 10 hours drive of nearly 900 km yesterday evening back from Denmark. Have not restarted on my Spits yet, but I hope to begin again at the weekend. And as I have promised Russell, I saw a real Spitfire … :slightly_smiling_face:

I have checked the photos I made at the Flymuseum Skjern. If there is interest I could make a report, just give me some time for preparing the photos. I have made a few …

Oh, and a special thanks to HGBarnes for his recent likes to this thread. Man, that is incredible! :open_mouth:

Torsten :beers:

6 Likes

Having seen real plane I am sure you have the mojo to pickup the scale versions on the workbench Torsten!

1 Like

Torsten,
Welcome back to the boards. Sure sounds like you had a great Holiday.

BTW, you look right at home leaning up against that Spitfire.

joel

1 Like

Welcome back Torsten! Sounds like you had a great holiday! :slightly_smiling_face:

And that is one awesome looking Spitfire! The markings look fascinating! :blush:

1 Like

Thanks guys! :slightly_smiling_face:

My holidays were great indeed. Have been to 6 museums, did a lot of hiking and met many nice people from all corners of the continent. Weather was fine, I had everything except ice and snow … :grin: And if anyone is fed up with Covid 19 restrictions - go to Denmark. They have cancelled all …

The last days of my vacations (have to start working again tomorrow … :unamused:) I also used to apply Dark Green on my Spitfires. Here are 2 quick shots from my paint bench this afternoon. Have to do some corrections though and re-do the left elevator on P8342 because I sprayed nonsense. Everything is painted free hand, paint used is Vallejo 71016.

Btw, I have started my report of Danmarks Flymuseum in Skjern. Have a look if you like. It will be continued from time to time when I have prepared more photos. It’s a great museum!

Torsten :wave:

7 Likes

Looking good Torsten, good example of the RAF ‘A’ and ‘B’ camouflage scheme :smiley:

1 Like

I thought the same, Tim. But as I painted it free hand, it is not exact the schemes, as I don’t have Mal’s masks.

1 Like

Torsten,
Both camo patterns look darn good to me. I do remember using Mal’s masks for my Spitfire way back when I was into WWII aircraft. Super easy to use, accurate, and worked like a charm. Nice to hear that he’s still at it.

joel

2 Likes

You’re welcome, you invested a good amount of time in producing excellent models and personal commentary. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks Joel and HG! Very kind of you both!

Yesterday I made some final paint corrections where I was not happy with the camo (see yellow arrows) and demasked both models. Still some small touch ups to do especially on P7666 where Sky and Black meet but now I’m quite happy how the camo came out and I call the main painting done on the Spits … :slightly_smiling_face:

Next step is to assemble the landing gears and attaching them. And I have just noticed that I haven’t painted the exhausts yet … :open_mouth:
Hope to show you another update at the weekend.

Torsten :beer:

10 Likes

What you call needing touch up, most modellers would say ‘sweet!’. Looking fantastic Torsten.

2 Likes

Torsten,
From what I can see in your pictures, they final results of both camo schemes are just plain perfect.

joel

1 Like

Thanks guys! :slightly_smiling_face:

Peter, I had to correct some smaller issues, where paint ran under the masks and that was especially on P7666 on the edge of Black and Sky and also on the fuselage band on both builds. If I see it and “can’t live with it”, I have to work over it again. As you know I like my builds neat and clean. We are always the biggest critic of our own models, aren’t we?

Btw, P7666 has got the landing gear attached and lies now upside down on the assembly rack. Tomorrow I’ll do the same with P8342.

Not arguing that one.

1 Like

A bit more progress on my builds this weekend. The exhausts are nicely detailed …

… there are not many parts left to assemble … :slightly_smiling_face:

… and fresh from the paint booth with shiny Bodenglänzer …

… I think I can start with the decals tomorrow. Maybe everything is finished by next weekend. I’ll see.

Have a nice Sunday!
Torsten :beers:

10 Likes

Looking really good Torsten. Those exhausts are superb, even despite the sink marks. Just makes them look a bit battered :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks Tim! Yes, I was surprised to find the sinkmarks here as the kits are of really top quality. But on the other side, there are more sinkmarks and they are even worse. But I put the side shown on top, so the worse sinkmarks are not visible. Okay, everybody would look a bit battered when always “on fire” … :grin:

7 Likes

Your build speed is impressive… Most impressive :innocent:

2 Likes