Torsten's bench works

Interesting choice of glue (ethyl acetate) to join the fuselage halves: what was your motivation for this choice? For my own, I would have used a thin styrene after taping the 2 halves together :hushed:

Your display looks a lot like mine: it’s the only safe place I have got to store components before assembly, without the kids getting hold of them :grinning:

Things looking good now, with primer going on :clap:
Will be interesting to see when all assembled and finish colours applied :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks Russell!

Why ethyl acetate? That’s easy to answer. Ethyl Acetate is as thin as water and due to its capillarity it crawls in everywhere and works like cyanoacrylate glue. It glues the parts together within seconds and - opposite to CA Glue - it also welds the plastic parts together. I often use it when I have difficult or long parts, like here. Both my Venturas were glued together the same way or the Do 215 or the Blenheim or the MiG 21 or the … :wink: It’s an old secret from my club so please don’t tell anybody … :shushing_face: You might also check it out. Your pharmacy around the corner should have it.

Happy modelling!
Torsten :beer:

3 Likes

Didn’t know Ethyl Acetate was a secret :slight_smile:! I’ve been using it exclusively for 25 years, I do decant if from the 1 litre chemistry-style brown glass bottle into an old “Tenax” bottle so no one will notice though!

Your Heinkel will be a looker Torsten!

:raising_hand_man:

Magnus

1 Like

Magnus, who told you our secret? There must be a leak, a mole, in our club! :grin: I have a 250ml brown bottle for years now and it’s still half full (not half empty - think positive!).

I’m still masking the 219. But there’s land insight, fuselage and one wing are done. So I hope to carry on painting soon.

Interesting comments regarding the ethyl acetate guys… I’d have never known until you mentioned it, but now your secrets out :wink:

For my own part I’ve always just taped fuselage halves together then used thin poly cement and dabbed it on the seam allowing capillary action to do the work :thinking:

@BlackWidow We’ll figure that one out and force him/her to spend the rest of their lives assembling Contrail vacforms using tube glue…

@Russelle Ethyl Acetate works exactly the same. Note, I am neither a doctor nor a chemist but I have been told that it is a rather harmless solvent, there are many others that can be used (MEK, Acetone, Trichloretylene (!) ) but this is supposed to go easier on your brain (and be less cancerogenous and maybe even Covid-safe but please don’t quote me on that last one…)! Pricing could also be a part of it with a price of around 10 Euros / litre, a bottle lasting for a decade or two :slight_smile: !

:raising_hand_man:

Magnus

2 Likes

Just a short update today. After about a week I have finished masking the black underside. Have found a few spots to go over again which interrupted masking 2 times… :woozy_face:

… not as difficult as masking the Moukari 2 years ago but as much …

… and some sub assembly, the props are ready for action …

… I’ll start painting the upper side tomorrow. Let’s see how far I am with this build at the weekend …

Torsten :wave:

5 Likes

@BlackWidow this is going to look magnificent when the paints on and wings assembled :blush:

@magnusf ahh, of course, yes, I am familiar with MEK so now my mind has made the connection :relaxed:

1 Like

@Russelle A good sign, since you can make the connection you can’t have been too affected by the glue then :wink:!

Magnus

1 Like

@magnusf :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: maybe, but maybe not :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Russell, you’re familiar with MEK? Oh, you must be a bad guy then … :open_mouth:

MEK stands for “Mobiles Einsatz Kommando” in Germany, a special police sqad here. You know, these guys who never use the door bell, they just enter - and ask for a cup of coffee … :smile:

Have painted RLM 76 on the wings today which looks good so far. Hope to do the same with the fuselage tomorrow. Hope to show you another update soon.

3 Likes

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: But does anyone really take them seriously with that teeny tiny hand gun? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Dont you know that size isn’t everything Russ? :laughing:

Looking great Torsten!

2 Likes

Another small update from my “Uhu”. Spraying RLM 76 Light Blue was work on 2 evenings …

… my prefered paint here is Vallejo 71046, same as on my Utti Air Racer from last year …

… and fresh from the paint shop are the wings coming …

… though there’s a little overspray, which can’t be prevented, I’m really happy with the result :slightly_smiling_face: Have used Gunze H 69 (RLM 75) for the blotches which are slightly bigger than in the paint instruction but I don’t mind …

… I will tackle the fuselage later this day or tomorrow. I’ll keep you updated anyway.

Have a nice weekend and stay safe!

7 Likes

More news from my bird of prey. Just finished RLM 75 on the fuselage, starting from rear to front …

… after another look I noticed that the mottling is a bit smaller and narrower than on the wings. Oh well, who cares? That is real hand made … :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m really happy how everything came out and the “Uhu” is slowly coming together now. Later I will demask the wings first to see if there are touch ups to do (and how many …). Stay tuned!

Torsten :wave:

10 Likes

Beautiful work there Torsten, great result! As you said, unless masks were used, there will be natural variation in the mottling. It looks much more interesting as well, non-uniform and random.

Looking forward to more progress reports.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Thanks for looking, D!

The camo looks good for me, as I mentioned. In 2010 I have build a Ki-45 Toryu and went the other way from dark to light colours. First IJA Dark Green all over the upperside and covered the blotches with Maskol (Color Stop from Revell), then sprayed IJA Grey Green over it. So I got sharp edges and I think it took me a week to get the Maskol off again with tweezer and tooth pick… :woozy_face:

Have just demasked the wings and found some touch ups to do with black, nothing serious but time consumpting.

4 Likes

Torsten, the mottling looks spot on (pun intended) :slightly_smiling_face:

Without the wings it looks a bit like a blue whale :astonished:

2 Likes

LOL I suppose the Jazz Music cannons could be considered the blow hole.

1 Like

Hahaha! You guys think of Magnus’ dolphin, right? Okay, I try to switch this creature from a whale into an eagle owl somehow then … :smile: The next update will take a few days.

1 Like