Tristar Flak Panzer IA build blog

Finished the assembly of the major subassemblies I had left it in for painting. I will have to do a bit of touch up where I marred the paint while attaching things. Pretty happy with how this one is turning out. Probably my favourite paint job I’ve done.

Next up is gloss, decals, washes and detail painting. Then onto weathering. I am planning to weather this one fairly heavily with mud and some chipping

5 Likes

Applied gloss, then decals, and then satin. The satin varnish is curing and it’ll get an overall filter that will also act as the pin wash tomorrow which will be a mix of raw umber and ivory black oils.

It’s marked as one from fla. battalion motorized 614 3rd company. Which apparently survived long enough for snow to fall. Tempted to do a muddy base with a dusting of frost/snow

s

I also built up the tools that have nice photo etch clamps. Still need to paint and add them

5 Likes

Looks awesome!

Just getting caught up on this build. That’s a really cool little vehicle. My knowledge of German armour stops just shy of everything being a Tiger, so I always like discovering new rabbit holes to dive down.

Do it! If for no other reason than so I can watch and learn :grin:

1 Like

My ground work skills are terrible! So it will be a slow walk, but I think i might go for it.

I don’t have a ton of knowledge on German armor either. I got this with a panzer II from a member on here and have since fallen into the rabbit hole of German vehicles toting flak guns. I find it insane this was deployed as a anti infantry vehicle, it’s absolutely tiny and had a crew of 4!

It’s one of my favourite German vehicles I’ve discovered. I really like the obscure interesting looking vehicles

1 Like

This one had fallen by the way side, again being scared off by weathering. Today I put in the Indy link tracks, my second ever set and I think they turned out well. Tomorrow I paint the tracks, tools, and start weathering.

7 Likes

Those tracks came out great! This is really shaping up to be an excellent model!

Thanks, I’m really liking these odd ball little vehicles

Are those the OOB tracks?

Yes they are!

Been a very long time since we updated this thread. Finally got back to it. Since the last update a lot has changed. Detail painted, painted the tracks, weathered the exhausts, painted and weathered tools, and started to weather the vehicle itself. So far a pin wash and dry brush has been applied to it.

I hope to finish today or tomorrow. Up next is some paint touch up, dull cote, oil dot filters and streaking, pigments, and some final detail painting on the flak 38

8 Likes

Looking great :+1:

Always good to see follow up.
Looking forward to next update!

Thanks man! I’ve really enjoyed this build. The Tristar kits are nice. And this fueled a bit of a obsession with German SP flak guns. I’ve already added two half tracks and a flakpakzer 38t (another tristar kit)

In case anyone stumbles across this down the road. Competed kit can be viewed here Flakpanzer IA finished