Trumpeter 1/350 Heavy Cruiser HMS York (1941)

Looking good, Si :relaxed:

Hope the mojo returns soon! :crossed_fingers:

Beautiful work Si. Keep it up.

Cheers, Chris Preston, Victoria, BC

Thanks David,

She is coming on, it is an interesting camo to paint, lots of masking.

Still quite a long way to go.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Russ,

So do I, I am hoping now the worst of the masking is done that will help

Cheers

Si

1 Like

Hi Chris,

Welcome aboard, glad to have you along for the ride, and thank you for the kind comment.

Cheers

si

Great job on that camo pattern. She’s looking sharp.

Si,

great work on a highly interesting ship that I have in my stash waiting…

Sorry for my (very very) late reply, real life is not really ship modeling friendly currently… Still I’m in and following!

Cheers
Jan

Hi Martin,

apologies for the late reply, Thanks for looking in, The camo was “fun” to mask, but for a two tone scheme it is quite striking.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Jan,

No worries about the late reply, progress has been a bit slow. My workshop is also my home office, which is causing a few modelling mojo issues with all this working from home.

Hope to have another update before they are year end.

Cheers

Si

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Had a bit of lack of modelmaking mojo of late, but finally got back to the bench.

The Eduard etch for the boat racks,

Painted and fitted.

The catapult is the kit part with some of the details sanded off and replaced with Eduard etch, structurally it looked better than the etched part.

The boats under way with etched parts.

The funnel rigging, this is one of the more complex layouts, with three stays at some points, likely to do with the rake on the funnels.

Working on the rest of the boats on the davits.

more before too long

Cheers

Si

8 Likes

Nice complex funnel rigging Si. May I ask you how do you paint these thin straitened telephone wire before you attach it? I used a black Edding pen so far but the black color sometimes goes off faster as I am able to glue them on :thinking: Yours looks perfectly :+1:

Cheers

Thomas

Thanks Thomas,

It is the most complex funnel rigging I have done. It was fun to do, I I paint them after fitting, . I find I always take paint off fixing them in place, I fit one row at a time, and paint it before fitting the next. I use Citadel Acrylics, on these a wonderfully named “Warplock bronze” It is a Matt metalic very dark,brown, applied with a fine round brush.

Cheers

Si

2 Likes

Hey Si! :slightly_smiling_face:

Great to see you back at the bench again!

I too have been away from the forums due to real life, and not really able to comment much, but the like button sure has got a work out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What bench time I do get has been limited to a few brief sessions each week, but hopefully once the kids go back to school I can get a bit more time in :crossed_fingers:

Thanks Russ,

Real life can be a pain, appreciate you taking time to look in.

Cheers

Si

2 Likes

And that is why I am usually reluctant to buy Trumpeter ship models…accuracy issues, detail issues, always having to replace weapons, barrels, boats, etc., and purchase a large PE set. And that’s why I love Flyhawk 1/700! :hugs: I do have some Trumpeter kits, but you need all the AM for a really accurate model.
:grinning: :canada:

1 Like

Hi Biggles,

Apologies for the tardy reply. I do get what you mean. The biggest irritation I have with this kit is that the box art is correct, but the kit doesn’t match it. From what I have seen of the Flyhawk kits they do look very good, and very complete, however my tired old eyes struggle with etch in 1/700th. Ton be fair, I have found very few 1/350 scale kits didn’t, in my opinion need some sort of assistance from aftermarket.

Cheers

Si

Funnel rigging is very impressive! It is a largely forgotten feature in ship modeling. Well done, sir!

Bill

A bit more progress over the last week.

The four inch guns being improved with parts from the eduard fret,

The master brass barrel vs the plastic part.

All four guns ready for the airbrush.

They will get sprayed with the crane and the masts, when I have finished fitting them out. Meantime I have finished fitting the boats.

More within the the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

Si

8 Likes

Nice work on the 4" Si :slightly_smiling_face:

She’s moving along nicely! :blush:

Thanks Russ,

The Eduard parts and the Master barrels really help the kit parts.

Cheers

Si

1 Like