Twin-engine bombers

Looks great!

1 Like

Wow … sunglasses needed for that one. Great finish with the metallic scheme … it looks nice and even all over. Well done on a great build.

2 Likes

Superb build! Congrats for the paint job!

1 Like

What a lovely Mosquito!

1 Like

I am getting started on my 1/48 Ukrainian SU-25. Underwing stores done and rocket pods drilled out.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Nice start!! Which kit are you using? I’ve wanted to do a SU-25 for a while

1 Like

I am using the old school KP 1/48. I will probably upgrade the cockpit and maybe the gun and very prominent pitot tubes - and of course aftermarket decals.

Sounds like it will be a great build! Looking forward to it! The SU-25 is one of my favorite Soviet era planes probably right behind thr Mig-31.

1 Like

Yeah, the SU-25 is a rugged beauty. And the available camos and markings are enormous.

The KP kit looks ok although the details are a bit on the heavy side.
Still going to build into a great example of the real thing.

I don’t know if make it to finish line or it’ll hit shelf of doom, but I’ll try IBG’s PZL37A Łoś Polish bomber in 1/72nd scale. It is almost in unscathed condition - it just misses some PE parts I cannibalised for other PZL37 I never finished ( so at least no soldering or other fancy stuff this time).
I have some canopy masks and Yahu colour panels as addons.

Here are initial pics:

2 Likes

Some progress is made - I think I finalized interior.
It was hard to find any reliable references (unfortunately no Los survived past war and all documentation was almost lost, not mentioning colour pics), so had to improvise and take pictures of other models as references.

So here it is - interior painted with random acrylics and then weathered with drybrush and homemade oil wash from mixt of Vandyke Brown & Industrial Earth colours.

8 Likes

Outstanding interior, Radek!

How is the kit so far? It is a new kit or reboxing? I am really tempted by a lot of the cool subjects IBG releases.

1 Like

Thank you Jesper.
This is a new tool designed by IBG that hit the shops in 2018. So far it looks crisp and really nice. Plastic is a little soft, but not cracking. I’m actually close to the real point of truth for this kit - joining halves together and glueing this huge front transparent section that should fit smooth. We will see then how well the design went

The only thing I would change is that some parts are a little overcomplicated with very small connection area (just like with PZL 23 I’m builting for Lifting fog of war campaign) - I use CA glue quite often so secure bonds, otherwise I would already melt 2 machine guns on these two :slight_smile: .

I’m slightly dissapointed with Yahu PE set - details are suberb, there’s no doubt about it, but connecting elements on PE fret are extremely hard and tough to separate/cut. In connection with quite narrow space it’s a really almost impossiburu challenge to sort’em out without damage. I already bent few small parts and few others just ejected into oblivion of carpet monster :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the imnsights. Looking forward to the moment of truth :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow :star_struck: The interior painting looks great. Very well done :+1:

1 Like

My contribution to the twin engine campaign

8 Likes

GREAT CHOICE, Stevie!! I was thinking of doing that - my second choice. I really want to test some new rigging ideas. Will you rig yours? L

Looking forward to see more :slight_smile:

I will put on some representative rigging not a lot tho. What color would the interior be as the instructions don’t say

I have no idea on the interior colors. I do not even know what the standard color would be for British aircraft in the inter-war period.

Looking forward to see your rigging! :slight_smile:

Hello Gang,

It took me a while to come up to stage of ‘almost-ready-to-paint’ condition for my PZL 37 build, so I have few… or few more things to share about the kit and progress.

It was quite a struggle to get it to this stage, but suprisingly it was not caused by the huge clear part section in front - it aligned pretty good (there’s a very small misalignment, but it’s not kit’s fault - I must’ve slightly touched the part just before leaving it to cure, so there’s a tiny shift to the left. Nothing to worry about tho).

It wasn’t also caused by missing parts in door bay I had to scratch build utlising some damaged parts of other attempt to build PZL 37 few years ago. They look a little bit like if I used an axe, hammer and chisel to make them, but they’re acceptable.

The biggest issue for me was overcomplicated assembly of wings.
From beginning - putting bomb bays wasn’t easy - I thought I might have mistaken parts, but none of it was fitting good either inside wings or when connecting wings to hull, so I had to make some cuts … and then some more cuts.

Bottom part of wings is also overcomplicated in my opinion. Whilst I understand IBG wanted to make a mode that would be great for people who like to have flaps, struts and other movable parts open, but it makes it very difficult to align all small bits correctly - especially that instructions are sometimes also misaligned.

Connecting wings to hull was also a nightmare - any small misalignment on wings assembly hit double when joining them to fuselage, so despite fact that generall fitting is quite good I used more filler than in my last 10 builds here… Of course I should have taken more care on double/triple checking all alignments and so on, but sometimes it’s impossible to guess where fitting issues might be.
This also led to some issues with sanding down all filler excess - should I know I had to do that I would never glue clear parts before. Despite my best effort I might’ve left few scratches here and there…

Other story is masking - oh my goodness me … that was the longest masking session I ever had with tiny bits of masking scrapes here and there. I truly admire anyone who will dare to mask them by himself.

Soo… next big step will be painting it - that’s another challenge as I need to break monothony of 2-colour painting (greyish-blue bottom and so called Polish Khaki upper surfaces).

That’s all for now, folks

5 Likes