Unboxing Model Factory Hiro 1/12 Tipo 158 Alfetta

My first MFH kit - very impressive in all aspects.
Beautifully packaged and quality components
throughout . Here is what you get -
The box …

Opening the lid …

Right on top is a clear folder containing the instructions, decals ( 2 sheets ) , photo etch ( 3 sheets) , patterns for cutting engine turned aluminum for facing dash and bulkheads , a piece of very thin suede for upholstery and a few sundry items .

In the very sturdy box itself everything is very carefully packed and protected . The bubble wrap contains white metal castings of belly pan and chassis and under these is a cardboard flat with scads of beautifully cast white metal components …
To be continued as the Internet seems to be cranky about uploading pics …

4 Likes

Trying again …

![image|666x500]

In the box within the box are the beautiful resin castings
( body , engine block /gearbox) , tires , rims and more…

For those who may be contemplating purchasing a MFH kit I bought mine from Scott at Upscale Hobbies . They are discounted from retail and while he offers free shipping for orders over $ 50 there is an 8 lb threshold which my kit exceeded - lots of heavy white metal.
He places his order with MFH on the last Sunday of every month. I ordered mine Oct 1st and the last Sunday was the 31st but I received my kit on Nov 4 - very good service indeed plus he offers points towards merchandise on his site . Highly recommended- the process was painless.

3 Likes

Looks great Richard. I am definitely going to get this though the 159M version. You’ll certainly enjoy it though it will try your patience more than occasionally. In that collection of white metal little is numbered so a fair amount of searching for that right part and some reshaping of the larger parts is a given. The wheel rims looks like turned aluminium? If that’s right that’s a win over white metal and drilling lots of holes.
I have always bought mine direct from MFH. They’re pretty good if you need replacement parts as well.

cheers
Michael

2 Likes

Thanks Michael - the rims are indeed metal turnings and are pre drilled. I believe the hubs are white metal and are dimpled and must be drilled in the jig using the rim as a guide . Finishing the ancient Tamiya Lotus is now really an effort because it is a dog of a kit and this wonderful MFH box full of goodies is wooing me like a siren on the rocks !
Edit - what have you lured me into - I am already contemplating the 1/12 TR 250 proportional kit …
…give me strength!

1 Like

Great intro to this adventure Richard, this is going to be a wonderful project to follow!

I can see a lot of dialogue between yourself and Michael @cosimodo in the future as well, we are lucky to have an in-house MFH builder here!

Cheers, D

It would seem our “in house MFH builder “ is a bit of a pied piper leading me down the MFH path … :wink:

1 Like

Richard,
I’m going to be with you from start to finish as this is going to be one epic build for sure.

As for the Lotus 49, well, it’s a hobby and there’s nothing that says that you can’t put it on hold as your interest was waning even before the Tipo arrived as it’s a dog of a kit compared to what Tamiya’s 1/12 scale F1 kits morphed into. It’s going to become harder and harder to keep focused on the big Lotus as the spirit of the Tipo will be constantly calling you for sure.

joel

2 Likes

You’re not alone there Richard, after following Michael’s builds here and some other builds on various forums I’m seriously thinking about picking one up myself! I start a new job tomorrow (after several months out of work due to COVID-related redundancies), and it’s Christmas soon, so I’ve already got a couple of excuses lined up!

Cheers, D

Well if you jump on the MFH train then I truly think MFH owes Michael a commission ! :grinning:

Intriguing kit - may I be rude & ask what it cost all up? :tumbler_glass:

Thanks for the interest Tim - No secret about the cost . Upscale lists retail as $ 899. USD but sells for $759.
Shipping was $ 20. USD .
Buying direct from MFH site lists cost as 88,000. Japanese yen - I believe that may equal $ 780. USD
and I don’t know what shipping would be so I seem to have gotten the kit for less than MFH direct . I think the best price on eBay was $760.+ $100. shipping.
As I believe you are in Oz you would likely do best by ordering direct from MFH as Upscale Hobbies has the kits sent to them in central USA and then they ship to purchasers.
I am very excited about starting this kit but it will be a while yet.
Cheers- Richard

1 Like

Richard,
The price that Upscale Hobbies charge for the Tipo is exceptional as is the $20 shipping. Was that USPS or UPS/Fed Ex? I don’t know if I’d trust the PO with that expensive of a kit these days.

From what you posted to Tim, it seems that your build plans are to continue with the Lotus 49 to completion 1st.

joel

Thanks Joel - Kit arrived via UPS and as stated the factory packaging is very good .
I will finish the Lotus first . In studying the instructions I will need to acquire some tools and supplies first and I am going to appeal to the head of household for larger modeling space … wish me luck !

Richard,
My method of asking the head of household finance,& space allocation is to always ask for double what i really need. Then we compromise down to what I originally wanted. I got the spare 2nd bedroom when I asked for the main room in the finished basement knowing that my son wanted to move down there as his room upstairs was right next to the Den and the walls were paper thin. So the compromise was he moved downstairs, I got the other bedroom just past his so my compressor and paint booth wouldn’t be an issue noise wise, and remade my son’s bedroom into the quest room that our dog and now our cat claimed as theirs.

I’m really interested in following your Lotus build even closer after seeing what you’re up against.

joel

1 Like

When looking at the MFH site, they usually have two prices, one for domestic sales which includes a sales tax e.g. 88,000 Yen and another for export, 80,000 yen which where they will sell to offshore. It always worth asking them for their price even though it may seem cheaper elsewhere. When you order online they will revert with a model cost and a shipping cost so you have option of proceeding or not. The model retailers have to make a margin.
Shipping to NZ is usually about 5000 yen so I guess it would be the same across the Pacific.

cheers
Michael

1 Like

Thanks Michael for that explanation- it will be good to know as I don’t read Japanese .

Those MFH kits are so impressive. Looking forward to follow the build.

1 Like

I just might checkout some of those 1/24-1/20 multi media kits as they seem easier for the less skilled, and the price is a lot less.

joel

Hi Joel - MFH also offer what they term “ proportion “ kits in 1/12 if you want something less complex . Lower cost as well . I am already considering The Ferrari 250 TR 58 . These are what most call Curbside - no engine , etc .
We have all seen what you can do and I think you are selling yourself short - I think with your skill level you are capable of building anything they offer . Just a question of how much time you want to invest in one model .

Richard,
Thanks for that major boost to my skill level, but time will tell. I’m really leaning towards the usual scales I build, but there’s already 1 1/12 scale kit; the Tamiya Brabham BT44B slated for Feb with my brother building his as our 1st ever Brother Buddy Build. Hence forth known as the BBB.

joel

1 Like