Vintage Italeri Pz IV - build & kit bash

Thank you Ken & Matt, you’ve made my day!

I think the glacis won’t be buried in tracks, maybe one horse shoe.

This evening looked like the build would be wrapped. Got an acceptable antenna deflector cobbled together. I think the deflector can pass for a Krupp deflector which angles down on the long side.

Finishing up the antenna & antenna, I accidentally tipped the hull over from the side on to the tracks. Maybe a 3 inch drop. Sheared off the pin that mounted the bogie. I feel rather clumsy at the moment - first time I broke something in the whole build…lol

I didn’t realize the 46 year plastic was that brittle.

Repaired the alignment pin.

6 Likes

Bummer on the drop and break but a nice easy quickish fix Wade. You have really taken that to a new level. A lot of time consuming fiddly and tiny exquisite details have been added throughout. It is a real show of force and commitment with what you have achieved here … very big well done :+1:

1 Like

I believe one horseshoe would be the perfect cherry on the sundae.

2 Likes

Nice recovery on the mishap. I agree with Mat you don’t want to distract from all the work/details by adding too many additional things.

2 Likes

Well, I should just leave this blank without any text because I’m at a loss for words…
Your attention to detail and ability to patiently work an older model until it appears to be the real thing is stunning. My hat is off to you sir. :tophat: :+1:t2: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Cheers,
C.

2 Likes

Wow! I really don’t know what to say other than thank you all for the kind words and steady encouragement.

Matt, John, DV, Charles, Ryan, Ezra and many others, thank you for your time, attention, honest opinions and much appreciated constructive criticism.

The Italeri Panzer IV G is complete.

When the weather warms the old Pz IV might get painted or not.

12 Likes

Looks great. :clap:

3 Likes

That’s looking very very nice on the display base. Really sets it off… And in my genuine and honest opinion. I would never paint it… I would just enjoy looking at it and thinking… " Yeap, I did that little bad boy " :+1:

2 Likes

You know, I agree with John. Paint would only cheapen it somehow…

2 Likes

A testament to what can be done with a vintage kit with some TLC. In this case somewhat more than a little TLC. :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

“Panzer Dentist” LOL… too funny. Can I put that in a novel?

2 Likes

Amazing work! The details are just exquisite! I would wait a while to paint it…

2 Likes

Don’t paint the G, Wade!
You have created a symphony of medias- let it sound in eternity!

:beer:

3 Likes

Normally I’d say paint it to hide all the kitbashing (which in my case is usually very messy) but you’ve done such a clean job of adding detail that it would be a shame to cover it up! Another vote to display it as it is.

Cheers,
C.

3 Likes

Excellent work Sir.
I might have to agree with the not painting it.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a work of art even without paint . Fantastic work !

2 Likes

I tend to agree with Creading. There are beautifuly crafted wooden ship models that are left unpainted when finished. In this case your work would be hidden and the model would take on a more average appearence when painted, leaving the viewer with only a hint of what has been truly acomplished. I might apply a coat of clear for a uniform sheen.

2 Likes

Gentlemen, thank you for the kind words!

Greg, I like the idea of a clear coat for a uniform sheen. That’s an excellent suggestion. When the weather warms, a wash in warm soapy water and rinse seems in order with a light clear coat.

If the model had been molded in the typical light gray or tan plastic, I’d paint it. However, Italeri’s molded “panzer gray” color makes for a nice contrast with the other parts. Even with a good pre-shade/shadow paint the model would probably lose some visual impact.

1 Like

Found this one today and I will enjoy the full article. The box art is great. I will use the link to other vintage-projects too👍

3 Likes

I keep coming back to this thread. Great job!

2 Likes