What are you reading

very interesting reading

3 Likes

This is what I have been poking through…

413ZFA82XHL

It’s a fantastic, very well illustrated book. Great for reference photos, as well as tidbits of information about my subjects of choice.

6 Likes

This one is a pretty fantastic read using lots of Japanese source material. Dispels many long standing and repeated misconceptions commonly held in the west about Midway.

51KPf+yMpqL.AC_SY1000

Best book I read in 2021.

4 Likes

man that looks good. Reminds me of a memoirs I read about 10 years ago (I still have it in my library), I’ve Been Working On The Railroad by W. L. Chafe

1 Like

And where pray tell did you get that?

2 Likes

Currently reading this one as a review for Osprey Publishing.

Interesting book. :slight_smile:

Randy

2 Likes

My mother’s friend’s father, of all people. When he died, his daughter gave it to me, thinking I might find it interesting. Little did she know that she gave it to somebody who had just discovered that they made models of tanks. Poor lady had no idea what she had just done.

“Wait, we had TANKS!?”

2 Likes

From time to time I look at this charming little book “Now I go to School” on my miscellaneous bookshelf…

Nicely produced, just the thing for your kid to use…?

It was given to me in 1979 by the widow of a British soldier who came home in 1945, you may have noticed it was published in 1938. I wonder a lot of things about it, including how many other copies still exist :tumbler_glass:

4 Likes

Thought this could be fun little thread to get a view of people’s tastes…

I generally have about 2 to 4 books on the go (real paper paged books) and various reference books that are used as and when…

My main reads at the moment…

That was a hard core different age…great read though.

Trip down memory lane read…good old BAOR.

And if I’m ever stuck for a book to read and to escape the woes and troubles …
… Probably one of the unsung literary greats …

The genius of Tolkien… the basis of every book of this genre.

3 Likes

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
by
Edward Gibbons, Esquire
6 volumes, printed in 1821 (no, I did not buy it fresh from the printers)
The first volume has been read by someone before me,
the second has probably been read partially since
all the pages haven’t been cut open yet.
The first edition of volume 1 & 2 came out 1776 or 1777.

The author.
No image of the book since it is simply a grey/beige carton

His skill as a historian has been questioned by later historians:

3 Likes

I’m currently reading the Marvel Epic Collection series of Wolverine, volume 1. And after that volumes 2 and 3 :slight_smile:

Childhood memories, nostalgia, that sort of thing :wink:

3 Likes

I’m currently reading two books at the moment, both are about MACV-SOG during the Vietnam War.
I’m reading this at home:

and I have this one I my bag thay I read when I am at work.

3 Likes

David what do you think of those two books so far ? Definitely interested in that time period and those units.

1 Like

Currently reading An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943, Volume One of the Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson. The 3 books chronicle the US war in Europe from North Africa to Berlin in first-person, small unit sized narrative, exactly like Cornelius Ryan’s The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far. The books are thick but the reading is engrossing and the action is quick so you don’t notice the pages flying by. Excellent reading and a huge history lesson for anyone no matter what their knowledge base.

5 Likes

Can confirm. I’ve got all three books. They’re well written and more importantly, fairly approachable despite their hefty size.

1 Like

@metalhead85 Richard, the SOG commanďo book is highly detailed in their history and politics that were involved at the time, as well as giving personal accounts of various missions, it’s well worth reading if you like detailed history.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot by Lynne Black, is his personal story and is again very detailed as well as being very humour in places. if you want to learn about SOG, these books are the best starting place you could hope for.

if you want an idea what this book is like, you should listen to Jocko Willink’s podcasts, he covers this book and a lot of the SOG stuff:

I’d also recommend this book which I have just reread, Reflections of a Warrior by Franklin D Miller

2 Likes

Yes I’m familiar with Jocko from his YouTube vids. Gotta check it out!

2 Likes

I am about a third of the way through.

2 Likes

Since so many outstanding books have been mentioned, I feel compelled to mention Making Sense Of The Troubles: A History of the Northen Ireland Conflict

Read this a few years ago after watching Peaky Blinders and wanting to learn more about The Troubles. Got more than I bargained for with this fantastic book. Read then think about what been written and how it might easily apply to you and your country if the names of a few groups were altered. Gave my copy to a close friend who read it and passed it on to another friend.

The book seems to be very objectively and adroitly written about a sensitive subject. A+++

4 Likes

Wade I remember reading a book about Michael Collins on the way to Bosnia in ‘97. Started reading it on the plane and couldn’t put it down. I think I still have it somewhere. Great book. Then saw the movie with Liam Neeson. Very good although I don’t know how accurate it was.

1 Like