What are you reading

@metalhead85 Richard there are numerous SOG podcasts by Jocko, i recommend the one with “The Frenchman” his story and many others will blow your mind and you will come to the same conclusion as I have: Why the hell hasn’t any made a movie about these guys…oh wait there are no alphabet people in these stories, that’s why Hollywood ain’t interested.

1 Like

Yeah I will definitely be checking that out.
Sorry David , what do you mean by alphabet people?

1 Like

@metalhead85 Richard I will PM you the answer to that :grinning:

1 Like

I have all three books Matt and I’m halfway through the second. Amazing books!

And reading this by Steven Zaloga:

5 Likes

I’m half-way through Andrew Lownie’s 2021 biography of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, ‘Traitor King’ … a well researched and startling appraisal of the couple’s life following Edward’s abdication … outstanding read!

Paul

2 Likes

@metalhead85 Richard, that book inside the blue berets, how much if it covers the war Afghanistan in particular the battle of Hill 3234?

1 Like

Currently reading The Fleet at Flood Tide by James Hornfischer:

Have also read by him Neptune’s Inferno:

And Ship of Ghosts:

They were all pretty good.

Jim

4 Likes

Yes it does but only two or three pages and doesn’t make a big deal about it.

1 Like

There’s two chapters devoted to the VDV in Afghanistan.

1 Like

It doesn’t mention the hill itself by number , just calls it a mountain lol.

1 Like

I’m only up to page 46 or so but it’s fascinating reading.

2 Likes

An Army at Dawn is on my “to read list”.

Jim

2 Likes

Currently reading South Pacific Air War Vol.2 ‘The struggle for Moresby March - April 1942
Really enjoying this series of books.

4 Likes

Once you start the first one, you’ll buy the other two books.

1 Like

If you like his works and have not read his memoir of his experiences as a Marine in the Pacific in WWII, check “Goodbye Darkness” out of your local library. It is amazing.
Jack

1 Like

Wrapping up William Forstchen: One Second After trilogy and Starting Jeff Shaara: The Frozen Hours. That one always gets me, have a good friend of mine that was involved in that operation.

1 Like

Onto part 3

4 Likes

I’m in the midst of two complementary books on tactics of the German Army. The first is “The German Way of War” by Jaap Jan Brouwer. He is a Dutch management consultant who approaches tactical management from the viewpoint of an intermediate manager of a business. It is fascinating for the viewpoint and well as the examples he sites comparing management styles in German, British, and US armies before and during WWII. The other book is “Blitzkrieg - From the Ground Up”. It is written by Niklas Zetterling. He uses many unpublished personal accounts of actions to demonstrate German tactics and improvisation in the face of obstacles. Blitzkrieg, he contends, was not a new use of technology like tanks or aircraft, or of combined arms coordination, but an outgrowth of 19th century prinicples of leadership, training and lower echelon initiative. Again, it is a fascinating work. Lastly, I just started “Great Captains Unveiled” by B.H.Liddell Hart about pre 19th century commanders, and “Wellington’s Headquarters” about the arcane way that the British army was run and how Wellington overcame it. All are good reads though the last is a bit slow.
Jack

1 Like

Interesting short video of “Steinbeck’s 24 Pencil Writing Ritual”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFCnUNQj4s8

1 Like

Looks like a good book gotta check it out sometime

1 Like