What are you reading

One of the worst books I’ve ever struggled through. Very little about Truscott and just a potted history of WWII. This was the first of three books in a row I’ve read that are mostly filler. I guess I should have been suspicious of the cover showing T-34s.

4 Likes

Okay, I will read it✌

1 Like

I’m enjoying it. I’m also reading Raymond Lamont -Browns ‘Kamikaze’ at the same time. This looks at the psychological and strategic reasoning behind the Kamikaze, as well as the tactics and debunking some of the myths. Both are making for fascinating, if grim reading.

1 Like

My father-in-law cruises the charity shops and on his latest trip he spotted this.
I’ve only just picked it up, so can’t say how good it is yet.

5 Likes

Seems to be interesting. I suppose that it’s a book with more pictures then to read?

1 Like

I would imagine so but, I’m a bit sad when it comes to books and never thumb through a book when I first get it. The first time I see a page is when I read it, something I’ve always done since I was a kid. Ooops, my anorak has come undone :wink::grin: I’ll post again once I’m a couple of chapters in :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I’m looking trough the book before I start reading. I will see what you think about this✌

2 Likes

Picked up these two at a used bookstore last week. Almost done lightning down, really gruesome story about a P-38 pilot sent to buchenwald with 136 other down allied airmen

6 Likes

“The Silver Bridge” by Gray Barker.

Worthwhile adjunct to John Keel’s “The Mothman Prophecies.”

I was very young when this happened and was in West Virginia visiting for the Christmas holiday.

Of course, it was all over the TV news there.

Very eerie.

2 Likes

I just recently read those two, “Spearhead” is excellent, very good writing. “Lighting Down” is good but it suffers from “potted history” syndrome. It comes across as padding. It is well written.

4 Likes

I just finished Lightning down, it was a gripping story, but I agree with you!

I am excited to start spearhead

3 Likes

Today I finish this one

I enjoyed reading this book, who is interested in the civil war should read this.
I still think about what’s next, the 3 books from shelby foote or a book about the peninsula campaign, I think it will be the last one

4 Likes

I think that you might find “Rebel Yell” and “the Cornfield” worth your time.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting. I guess " the cornfield " is about the battle of sharpsburg ? Who’s the author? The sharpsburg- and the chancellorsville- campaign is the most interesting part of the civil war to me

1 Like

Thank you for the information, I found " the cornfield " at google, sounds interesting. It’s about the opening part of the battle, the " stonewall jackson-part, that’s very interesting to me. The problem is to get those books from germany, the only way is mostly to get it from the united states :v:

1 Like

The Cornfield was written by David Welker and it is about the Battle of Antietam or Sharpsburg as you call it. After visiting the battlefield on the Anniversary of the battle and going on the tours, I thought this book gave a lot of information and timeline for the engagement. Rebel Yell was written by S.C. Gwynne and is a biography of General Thomas Jackson and how he came to and conducted his part in the Civil War.

2 Likes

It is on the Casemate Publisher’s website and they are an English company, but still probably sourced from the US.

1 Like

The first books about the civil war that I have read were written by southerners or from the view of the confederates, so I often use their names of the battles. At the beginning of my interest it was confusing sometimes, after a while it was okay.
Both books are interesting, thank you✌

2 Likes

I would like to visit a battlefield park, virginia must be a state full of battlefields, not just from the civil war, the revolution must have left many spots too. Maybe a holiday-trip in the future

2 Likes

Marco, here’s a little Civil War trivia that might be of interest. Per North Carolina - Civil War aka The War of Northern Aggression in some circles… :wink:

“Throughout four years of Civil War, North Carolina contributed to both the Confederate and Union war effort. North Carolina served as one of the largest supplies of manpower sending 130,000 North Carolinians to serve in all branches of the Confederate Army. North Carolina also offered substantial cash and supplies. Pockets of unionism existed in North Carolina also resulted in approximately 8,000 men enlisting in the Union Army–3,000 whites plus 5,000 African Americans as members of the United States Colored Troops (USCT).”

My uncle dug into family military history and found one of our ancestors fought for the South in the Civil War. My uncle obtained copies of the relevant military records. We learned several things.

1. He was totally illiterate as every document related to him had his name signed with an “X”.

2. After a few months, he disappeared from his unit for a while but managed to return just in time for “pay day”.

3. He probably would have faired better to not return as he was shot in the arm and lost the arm.

4. At age 73, he was granted a US military pension. He died shortly there after.

5. According to family legend he spoke well of General Lee after the war.

4 Likes