What are you reading

His entire Canadian Battle series is very well written. Currently runs from Dieppe to Italy, through Normandy and then into NW Europe. I’m hoping he’ll do a book on Hong Kong at some point.

A very easy to read narrative with a very good mix of unit histories, war diaries and veteran/civilian interviews and accounts.

An excellent place to start for Canada’s involvement in the war.

I’m now about half way through The River Battles

There’s a whole chapter here that actually covers the battle where my wife’s Grandfather got captured which was really cool to read.

2 Likes

I’ll be looking into those. I have two Sherman Fireflies and planned on doing one Canadian and one British at some point. Actually I have a Badger that I’ve been hankering to do first, I think it’s a conversion set from the old Formations models. Gotta check my stash.

2 Likes

Hurricanes over Singapore. What a mess the colonel blimps made there.

2 Likes

Currently reading “Dien Bien Phu 1954 - The French Defeat that Lured American into Vietnam” as a review for Osprey Publishing.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Not taking a picture of a book, just sayin’…

Nice thread though.

I’m reading the mediterranean air war, vol 1, jun 40-jan 42

1 Like

:nerd_face:

4 Likes

That’s it! And because of it, The Hawker Hurricane - A comprehensive guide for the modeller.

It’s old, 1999, so it’s info about kits is dated, but the line drawings of the plane and particular parts of it is pretty great.

1 Like

Picked this one up today.
Should be interesting.

3 Likes

@phantom_phanatic been looking to get this, watched a interview he did with Ward Caroll (ex Tomcat RIO) on YouTube.

2 Likes

@Littorio Have you got a Works store nearby?
That’s where I picked up my copy. It was down to a fiver, but I had loyalty points so paid just over 3 quid for it. Best bargain I’ve had all year!
I keep checking in after work in hopes that they’ve got any Airfix stuff going cheap, but no joy on that front yet. Did manage to score the Shackleton last year.

I’ll have a look at the YouTube review, thanks. No spoilers I hope!

1 Like

@phantom_phanatic
No Works near by, I live in a village, even the nearest town doesn’t have a Works either.
The video is not a review it’s more an interview with the new book as a focus.

Ward’s videos on the whole are quite interesting.

2 Likes

@Littorio I just had a look on their online store and it’s not available.
The shop had about a dozen on the shelf, if they still have some I can get one and post it to you?

1 Like

No image but a good read is “No Surrender” by Hiroo Onoda. Great insight into the views and thoughts of the ww2 Japanese soldier. He surrendered in 1974 after being convinced that the war was indeed over.

1 Like

Laurel and Hardy had a short with that setting, but it was done before the 2nd war. Laurel apparently occupied a trench for several years after the Great War was over, or so the skit begins…

1 Like

Did he by chance have a distant relative on Gilligan’s Island? :rofl:

1 Like

I read quite a lot, both in paper and e-books (epub). My previous read was Figthing With Popski’s Private Army, by Park Yunnie. Reads like a exiting novel, but really happened. Recommended!

Currently on the e-reader:
The Small Scale Raiding Force, by Brian Lett. The history of a small Commando Unit raised to harass the Germans on their occupied coastal positions. Just started it, so no cannot tell if it is recommended or not.

6 Likes

One thing leads to another …

South African Air Force Fighter Colors. Vol 2: The War in the Desert 1941-1942

1 Like

Before you throw away your old box art. These make great book marks…

5 Likes

:grin:
Lots of boxes in the stash but I can’t cut them to ribbons yet
since they still contain unbuilt kits.

Clever idea about recycling empty boxes for another purpose :+1:

2 Likes