What are you reading

Well, there is quite some space for discussion here, but the 106th US infantry division for example, surrendered nearly as a whole, while being surrounded by nothing more than a regiment? Also, Pattons big offensive was stalled by being 2 whole divisions being overly cautious. Sometimes a group of no more than 30 men with mortars holding up a whole regiment? Several US divisions were decimated, by doggedly keeping to try and capture the same villages, only to be austed again by a counter thrust by the Germans, with a few tanks and some fanatical soldiers. Sure the Germans made some grave errors, specially on the northern flank. And by appointing the butcher Sepp Dietrich as commander of the 6th SS panzer armee. There, the cooperation of the SS with the wehrmach left to be desired to say the least…

3 Likes

From the LT in Generation Kill.

2 Likes

This looks interesting. I watched the GK series

2 Likes

I finished Mr. & Mrs. Time Gone By. A collection of short stories of Pulp Fiction, Twilight Zone style Science Fiction and Ghost Story/Horror - Science Fiction. A lot of action and violence and heartbreak.

1 Like

Next book I’ll start tomorrow, Violence Girl Alice Bag

2 Likes

I found it very interesting and a very fast easy read. The beginning covers his officers training, deployment to Afghanistan with the infantry unit and then his time in recon which is what GK series covers. For me it filled in some questions I had when watching the series. Next is to read GK itself and probably rewatch the series again.

2 Likes

Just finished reading this one

Now returning to the SW Pacific with the US Armies 32nd infantry division ‘The Red Arrows’ in this one

5 Likes

Currently reading this one from Osprey Publishing for a review.

Soviet Machine Guns of World War II

4 Likes

5 Likes

Finished the Ghost Mountain Boys, wow. That book gave me even more of an appreciation of what the men of all nations went through on New Giunea.

Now onto something a little bit more up to date.

4 Likes

Recently started Jems Hornfischer’s last book:

It’s pretty interesting so far.

Jim

5 Likes

Nice to know why projects never came to fruition.

6 Likes

That looks like a fascinating read! Please share your impressions.

1 Like

13 Hours in Benghazi, The untold story. It follows the movie, with subtle, yet critical differences. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Small world…I finished the trilogy in September. Great read.

2 Likes

Time to read it again.

3 Likes

Only a few pages in, but seems an interesting read so far.

3 Likes

playing the wild card here and reading this, unfortunately it received some water damage but i dried it out, none of the pages are stuck together and it is still readable.

4 Likes

The Bastard Brigade, by Sam Kean. This is about the allied effort to prevent the Germans from getting an atomic bomb. Mr. Kean has pulled together the elementary physics, the drama of the war, a cast of characters from what should have been the “funny papers” and the true story behind more than one movie. The true stories are much better than any movies. The title comes from the fact that these wild boys were not part of any TO for any service. They operated outside military channels and yet wore uniforms or not as circumstances allowed or needed. It is a wild romp thru the people and the exploits of our opposite to the Manhattan Project or as we dubbed it, the Uranium Club of the Nazis. Super fun read.

4 Likes

@DAKjunkie once, you’ve read that you should read mine and joseph p Farrell’s preceding book “Reich of the black sun” and igor Witkowski’s book “the truth about the wunderwaffe”.

they show very convincing proof that the Nazis had the bomb albeit in very small numbers.

Klaus

1 Like