What are you reading

Getting more info for the rpg campaign I’m starting in 2023. Dry but informative.

2 Likes

Found another one, he has published

3 Likes

currently reading another SOG book while I’m at work, this author has a flare for humour

3 Likes

The book has general information on work at the site, and how it instructed manufacturers of requirements for vehicles ,
then left them till testing time to see what was provided, with hints at projects it was involved in,
And with a few what IF vehicles that never came to fruition, + remarks that manufactures,
used their projects, adapted to make vehicles for abroad.

1 Like

look for books by Bruce Catten (or Catton). He was old enough to get to interview men from both sides of the conflict. Also the Shelby Foote series is pretty good, and he has the gonads to say things that neither side want to talk about to this very day. There are others as well, but most are revisionist history. Myself I’m more into the Revolution and War of 1812.
gary

1 Like

right now i have a thing for SOG and i know i am getting a few more books to deal with that area of the Vietnam War including “tanks in the wire” about the special forces camp at lang vei.

i picked up my first ghost stories of gettysburg book when i was there years ago and i grabbed the reset of the collection from ebay a few years back along with bruce halfpenny’s ghost stations series about spooky events during WW2

1 Like

…also had several interesting comments on the War of Northern Agression/Civil War in one of Ken Burn’s PBS documentary…

1 Like

I wish I knew you were headed over there. You missed out on several other battle fields that were close by. Some of them exceptionally nice to visit. Myself; I like Look Out Mountain, and Shilo, but Shilo is quite a drive. Still that puts you close to Vicksburg and the Battle of New Orleans (1812). Appomattox is an absolute must see, and puts you about an hour from Thomas Jefferson’s house with Madison and Monroe a few minutes away (Thomas Paine’s place is also near by). I don’t know if your married or not, but a trip to Vicksburg puts you close to several antebellum mansions that are well worth the visit (wives like that).

I used to know two guys that were at Lang Vie when it was over ran. Plus we listened to it first hand on the fire push while taking place. Also knew two guys that were at SF Camp Ashau when Bennie Adkins won his CMH. Bennie was the toughest guy I ever heard of, and just looked scary to look at.

Myself; I’m still trying to grasp the Revolutionary War. There’s a lot more than most even begin to realize. I had two great (how many greats I don’t know) Uncles that were in the Virginia Militia, and were folded in with Washington’s regulars. One went in as a Captain and mustard out a full bird colonel. The other was a private and went out as a private. It’s claimed that the Colonel was in the boat with Washington when he crossed the Delaware River. On my Grandmother’s side; they fought the Battle of New Orleans in here great great uncles front yard. Been there once and it’s interesting, but also not a lot to see. Myself; I’m more interested in George Rodgers Clark. He did a march for over a hundred miles while breaking ice with every step thru a swamp (he was tough).
gary

1 Like

one thing that Foote brings up is the politics in Washington D.C., and the dark side of it. Lincoln was in direct violation of the U.S. Constitution almost daily. I might add here that FDR wasn’t much better
gary

2 Likes

…saving the union is a messy business…

1 Like

Not a book but there’s a podcast called SOG Cast that has interviews. The first episode is with George “The Troll” Sternberg. Long form interviews, 1.5 - 2.5 hrs each.

@Striker yeah they are on YouTube and i have listened up to SOGCast 011 but i have heard they’re on spotify and there 29 interviews on there.

1 Like

Gary i visited Gettysburg many years ago when i was staying with my American girlfriend near Port Treverton PA. alas that relationship ended and i am now married and we have no plans to visit the USA at the moment but my wife Nicola has expressex an interest in visiting some of the countries i went backpacking in, including Vietnam (I have been there 4 times…sure i quality for a CIB by now lol)

oh have you ever heard of short lived underground radion that wad broadcast cast in '71 called the first termer radio by DJ Dave Rabbit? there is only one recording available and it is for adult listeners but the background story is very interesting…i can’t link it here due to the adult nature but I’m sure you are no stranger to Mr Google.

1 Like

Just picked this up, so will be next up.

4 Likes

that radio station is a new one for me. Where was it out of? In 71 I was reading several newspapers every week trying to figure out what I’d missed out on. Ever heard of the Chicago Seed? Music was my thing in 70 and 71, and was discovering new venues weekly. I was still getting letters of invite from National Guard and Reserve units all over the place asking me to at least visit. (Lots of steak dinners). When they found out I knew my way around an M110/M107 platform I became popular. I just wanted to forget I ever saw them. I was supposed to go to the October Fest in Germany that year with Fred Briel, and he said we’d stay with his folks. I couldn’t get away as I was going to school again. Wish I could have!

What’s funny was my Brother and Dad were glued to the TV every night watching all the Vietnam B.S. They’d call me up (I got married in 1970 {like a fool}), and ask me about some place they were watching, and I’d have to think about it for a few minutes. It had began to finally go to bed. Dad asked me why my area was never on TV, and I told him the press never went that deep in country.

My great adventure in 71 was going to see the Allman Brothers at the Filmore East (think it’s now called the Beacon Theater). I got some free tickets, and the airline fares were $69. Somewhere I still have the ticket stubs. Would I ever want to visit Vietnam again? Cold day in hell!! Nothing against the place (very beautiful), but it’s like waking up in bed with your mother inlaw
gary

5 Likes

I just learned a week ago that Keever had to have his heart worked on. This guy looked like he was approaching fifty the first time I ever met him. Now he has grey hair, and time is catching up with him at a fast pace. He did a lot of interviews with John Plaster
gary

1 Like

Fillmore East was a couple of blocks from McSorley’s Old Ale House. Established 1854.
Ever been there?

2 Likes

Gary, Dave Rabbit broadcast cast from Saigon and 21 shows from a brothel before getting shutdown, there is only one copy of one of tge broadcasts he did that survived.

1 Like

Reading both of these at the same time for book reviews for Casemate Publishers.

6 Likes

I flew in and told a taxi driver to get me there (i had a little less than three hours before the show started. I had two tickets, but Tina was pregnant and refused to fly. To this day I have no idea where the tickets came from.

I’ve only been to NYC twice, and the first time was for about eight hours. The second time, the lady I was with and I drove over from where they had the Woodstock Rock Festival (she lived next door to it). We came in and drove strait down Broadway. As we went past Central Park it dawned on me that I had a buddy playing near Bleeker and Sullivan. We walked in and he liked to came unglued. I told him I never miss the chance of listening to your sax! This was when the Yankees and the Mets were in the World Series (been awhile), and I really would like to go back there. I’ll put McSorley’s on the list with the Village Vanguard and a couple other spots. I also want to see an MLB game! The World Trade center is a spot I have an interest in. I have a lot of time invested in the fire department. Also have an inside deal to get into Rao’s.
gary

2 Likes